Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your opinion on Rainbow Dash?

Traitorous Pony

Clearly we needed the least...intellectual...pony for 28 pranks later. Seeing as Pinkie Pie couldn't be caught unaware of a prank, it was Rainbow Dash or no one. Personally I liked 28 pranks later save no one actually got hurt at the end. 

We needed to have Dash learn a harsh lesson to ensure she wouldn't try this stuff again. Sometimes you just gotta tie your friend to a tree and leave them there for a few hours to prove a point. 

Or...was that just me? Come to think of it that was a while ago...huh..

• Brohoof 1

While she's known for her insensitivity and general misunderstanding of others feelings/point of views, (she's arguably clinically narcissistic), I think the episode about Tank did a pretty fine job showing her wreckless, yet, in a brash sense, loving side. She was so in grief she didn't really know how to prepare or deal with the situation, which is something I've suspected of her being like even before the episode aired. I don't know, I kinda liked the episode because I resonate with it. When you're so passionate about something, or especially someone in which you're fearful of them passing away/leaving you, you can be pretty mindless of others and how it will conflict others. This brings to this lesson and situation as whole; negating the entire point of your initiative concern of loved ones-- spending quality time and actually treating said friends/partners with love and gratitude.

In fact, I had a theory awhile back of her dealing with narcissist personality disorder (yes, this is an actual disorder; people don't know this). That episode alone sealed the deal for me on my stance on it, but even my theory alone I enjoy how this episode still shown her loving side but having a poor time dealing with others in such a terrifying place to be put on. I mean, I was pretty stressed out seeing her handle it, but how she handled it alone said enough for me. After all, a character without flaws isn't a character at all.

EDIT: Oh, and my opinion on her isn't negative. The show without her wouldn't be the same, and the show more of her would be overwhelming. Pretty neutral with her; I don't love her but don't hate her. :)

Edited by PrinceJayne

(edited)

Rainbow Dash is my favorite character in the show. She's pretty crazy sometimes, but at least she's wise.

Edited by Jonathan Lucroy
Autocorrect screwed me over.
  • Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

Oh, I flat out love her. She brings spirit and life to the show, has a bold and genuinely awesome personality and along with Rarity, is the most nuanced of the Mane 6, which tends to show in her episodes. I especially love it when Rainbow is paired up with Twilight, and especially Rarity.

• Brohoof 2

She isn't one of my favorites out of the mane 6, but she isn't one of my least favorite characters, or even least favorite of the mane 6 either.

I like her just fine.

• 1 year later...

I think even people who dislike her would have to concede that the show would not be nearly what it is without her. I'm sure a lot has been made already about her personality, design, voice etc. but from a basic visual standpoint her hovering tic prevents the show from ever looking stiff when she's on screen and single-handedly elevates its surface appeal. She's an invaluable presence for a low-budget television cartoon. I'd go so far as to say she's one of the most ingenious cartoon conceptions in history.

And also her nuanced personality makes her the most interesting character in the show, imo. I find her personal arcs to be the most engaging of the Mane 6, and I still think there's plenty of room for drama with her and her relationships with the other characters.

• Brohoof 3

She's great, and the second best of the Mane Six. I love her competitiveness and ego, as these are traits I can see myself in. 

She's also a guaranteed good episode when she appears, which is a great plus. Also, she's the colorful-est pony of all colorful ponies, what's not to love?

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I really love Rainbow Dash and think she grew as a character really well.  

I hated her at first but after “Sleepless in Ponyville” my opinion of her took a 180 degree turn for the better.   

She then became my favorite pony along with Applejack and that’s pretty impressive I think. 

• Brohoof 1

her narcissism and complete recklessness, insensitive and dangerously oblivious nature makes her take the lowest spot from the main six. Ppl say that newbie dash was one of the worst episodes because "poor dashie has to endure bullying as a positive thing that you have to let happen even if it hurts", how double standards can you be when there's an entire celebration in equestria dedicated to the defeat of Nightmare moon and Luna has to be reminded of it every year with an additional mocking festivity which only purpose is to use Luna's past image to scare little kids and she has to take it up the ass. 

If you are in the army (or the equivalent in equestria), you HAVE to learn to deal with this stuff and you CAN talk about it if it's too sensitive of a subject or in bad faith, but in the episode it was never in bad faith and she never talked about it with them, instead deciding to act like a crazy person and ruin everyone's day.

Also, f you Dash for making people get hurt and let them run away crying (namely Fluttershy, her parents, Scootaloo, Yona, Ocellus, Smolder) for the terrible things you say on their face just to boost your ego or make a joke out of the situation (rarity and Twitwi) because she doesn't have any kind of empathy for others. Gilda gets a lot more shit from the fandom for less. It's only when the others put her a stop or make that disapproving face when she reconsiders (sometimes). She's not competitive because she just wants to win over all others, not compete, and would even be the first one to  cheat to win. Call other ponies names. She basically sold Flutershy to slavery. Being that oblivious and narcissistic is not charming or funny, it just makes me want to strangle her. :glimmer:

Her best portrayal though it was in Huracane Fluttershy. That is how I wish she were without betraying her character, or at least what i thought her character was supposed to be. But apparently no.

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

I think Rainbow dash is a great character! In fact, she's my second favorite. She has a fun personality, a great set of skills, an amazing design, and she has a lot of great episodes.

Now yes, she can be annoying, egotistical, and arrogant at times, but those are just her flaws. Flaws are what make characters good. Plus, if Rainbow wasn't cocky, she would lose what makes her, her. When I started watching the show, she immediately caught my eye. Her "coolness" factor really drew me into her as a character, and her personality got me hooked. To this day I still like her a ton.

Again, she does have her bad moments, but she has a lot of really great moments. The one that stands out to me the most is 'Hurricane Fluttershy". That episode truly showed how much she cared for her friends. When talking to Fluttershy, she calmed her voice; when she found out that they couldn't beat the record, she still insisted that they try their hardest; and she praised Fluttershy after they pulled the tornado off. That's just one example of her caring side!

So yeah, I definitely like Rainbow Dash. She has her flaws, but she is very loyal to her friends and cares deeply for them.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
(edited)
On 2017-03-28 at 11:00 AM, Traitorous Pony said:

rainbow_dash_avatar_by_kockacukor9-d9axg

During season 5 episode, Tanks For The Memories , she was being brash and tactless, and a bit overprotective of Tank. By brash and tactless, I mean she was self-assertive and rude, and showing a lack of adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues.I get she cared for Tank, but she did more harm than good in that episode. Not only was that selfish, it was endangering her pet to boot. But she had to learn that nothing in life has to go your way, and you need to put your own needs aside for your friends.

What are your opinions on her development as a character in general?

It crossed my mind that this weeks episode may actually have been the writers attempt to convey the loss of a pet to it's audience in the safest way possible. Rainbow Dash's freaking out, irrationality, & panicked nature are a lot like those of a pet owner who find out their loved one isn't going to make it for much longer. Dash even goes through the 5 stages of grief. 

1. Denial: Telling everypony their wrong

2. Anger: Snapping at Pinkie and the rest of the remane 5. 

3. Bargaining: Trying to retake control of the situation. Going through any means necessary to Stop winter from happening so she has more time with her friend. 

4. Depression: Shutting down, even in the presence of her friends

5. Acceptance: Finally giving in and letting her emotions out, coming to grips with the situation, embracing the support of those around her, yet at the end of the episode privately deals with it by remaining at Tanks side, almost like saying goodbye.  

As a pet owner myself, I get what she's going through, having lost a number of my own over the years. I manages to skip the anger part but went through the rest of the stages with each of them. I can certainly relate. It was far from easy parting with any of my loved ones. Even as I was typing this, I had one of my cats on my lap. 

It's an important lesson and not an easy one to convey. Any kid blessed to have had a pet may have to unfortunately deal with parting ways with them. 

Think DHX went about this the right way? Was it the best they could do given the medium they're working with? 

•  
  •  
  •  

Edited by Scootaloo90747475