Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

PC or Consoles? Which is better?

ZethaPonderer

PC or Consoles?  

38 users have voted

1. 1. Which is Better?

• PC
    • Consoles

Well my vote goes for PC because that's what I grew up with.

Never grew up with consoles for the most part since I can comfortably play most video games on my PC, but I do have to admit, playing games with an actual video game controller that Consoles provide feels immensely satisfying then playing games with a Keyboard and a Mouse.

So for controls, Consoles have a definitive edge over the PC's controls which is pretty much suitable for playing Real Time Strategy Games like Age of Empires 2 IMO.

It all depends on what you're playing.  I would never want to play Civilization (any) or Hero's of Might and Magic, on a console, but I love my Harvest Moon games.  There's also something to be said for putting my survival horror on the big screen and turning off the lights.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@ZethaPonderer You can connect a controller to a PC. Any of them ever if the appropriate adapter exists. (But I kinda doubt people are clamoring to plug a joystick from the 80's into a modern system) So, PC has consoles beat on that front.

Edited by Vulon Bii
  • Brohoof 1

I much prefer PC because I find it much easier to aim and move with a keyboard and mouse than a controller. The main drawback of PC is how expensive it can be with graphics cards and things like that, while a console the value lasts longer and it isn't obsolete as quickly. Because of this, I mostly play older PC games and I find them just as good as newer games, so PC works better for me.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Vulon Bii said:

You can connect a controller to a PC. Any of them ever if the appropriate adapter exists. So, PC has consoles beat on that front.

I know this, my roommate loves emulators, but not all games that can be played on a console can be played on a pc. 

• Brohoof 1

I generally am more of a casual gamer, so I am more inclined to gravitate towards consoles rather than PCs, which I  generally see being for the more dedicated types of gamers.

PCs, especially today. Modern consoles I cannot get behind, because of the pointless features and corporate greed.

PCs are great because you have so many options when going for one, you want to use a controller, just plug in an xbox 360 controller and you're good. Keyboard and Mouse is also superior for FPS games, no questions. 

There are just so many options for PCs, it's a great platform.

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

which I  generally see being for the more dedicated types of gamers.

I don't see the "dedicated" gamer choosing a console over a PC if they want the best experience possible.

6 minutes ago, Vulon Bii said:

I don't see the "dedicated" gamer choosing a console over a PC if they want the best experience possible.

Depends on what they are dedicated to, right? If it's a developer or a specific group of IP's then they may select one platform over another. It also depends on how they qualify what their ideal experience is too. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
32 minutes ago, Vulon Bii said:

@ZethaPonderer You can connect a controller to a PC. Any of them ever if the appropriate adapter exists. (But I kinda doubt people are clamoring to plug a joystick from the 80's into a modern system) So, PC has consoles beat on that front.

Pretty valid point there, but its kinda cheating IMO and although PCs do give me the option to customize my controls, I'm just speaking with what the PC controls are by default which I have mixed feelings with. Keyboard and Mouse I can get used to pretty quickly due to my muscle memory. If I have to go out of my way just to get an actual video game controller to play most of my PC games, then I might consider it though it does make me wonder.

Do most PCs even have their own video game controllers strictly designed to play video games similar to what most consoles have? Because the Keyboard and Mouse is one of those difficult to learn, difficult to master kind of controls (no matter how I customize my keys in any way) whenever I play any video game. I don't know if most PCs were even designed to play video games in the first place unlike most consoles. If somebody can elaborate me further on this I'd appreciate it.

Edited by ZethaPonderer

I don't claim one as better over the other, but for my preferences I definitely prefer consoles.

Consoles are wonderful, because you buy them, you plug them in, and they run any game that is made for that system just like that. PC is so much more complicated and overtly expensive. I would know, just wanting to run The Sims 3 as well as it could. I spent a fortune on building a PC for that game (even finding the parts at cheaper prices). Even though I tried to go by the best guides by The Sims 3 fans I could to find the parts I needed, the card I ended up choosing was not properly read by the game, causing a multitude of issues. I was so peeved. That was the first PC I ever got to build with gaming in mind. Beforehand I had to deal with playing The Sims 2 and 3 on PCs that could not properly run them at all.

PC gaming is such a headache. I don't even want to. I'm so glad that The Sims 4 is a mediocre entry not worthy of my money so I don't have to worry about PC gaming anymore.

I also like having my gaming separate from my PC. I don't know, it's just the way I am.

Additionally, at the end of the day, the majority of franchises I enjoy are from Nintendo. And it's the games that make a platform. Aside from The Sims there isn't much for me on the PC. Did you know I have a Steam account with some games, but I haven't even installed Steam on my PC? Lol. I've had this PC for nearly three years now. For the third party franchises I enjoy, I have a PS4, which I find a better experience because I know the games will run on that system and I won't have to worry about parts that aren't up to par or for some reason an individual game doesn't read properly. I especially don't need that kind of stress anymore because now I don't really have any income coming in.

There are plus sides to PC gaming, such as modding. I love how I could download mods and custom content for The Sims 2 and 3 and not worry about the company bricking my system because it doesn't like that. But at the end of the day, I'll take consoles. Consoles will not give me a migraine, and they have the games I will play.

• Brohoof 1

Whatever you prefer to use. I personally don't care what I am playing on as long as i enjoy the game. I mostly have games on console.

As for the Pc Master Race out there who might call me a dirty console peasant, I will say this: I've had sex, and you haven't.

• Brohoof 1

P.C. is objectively better. Better frame rates, better graphics, better input choices (keyboard, mouse, controller of all types, joystick, etc). Gaming pc's are just better in every possible way than consoles (at least nowadays >.>)

HOWEVER! Consoles are far more easy to use. I don't care what you PC elitists say, consoles are plain and simply much much easier to get into than pc's. So, if you wanna just plop down on your couch or bed or whatever and not think about tinkering with settings, downloading additional drivers, updating BIOS, re-installing games because they are for some reason suddenly having issues, etc, etc. <-- if you DON'T wanna deal with all that ulcer inducing bullshit, then consoles are the way to go lmao.

I have been a console gamer all my life since the early 90s. Grew up with the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Ps1, Ps2, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP and countless other systems like the Intellivision and Atari 2600 o,o Consoles will forever have a sentimental place in my heart. But after dealing with consoles for sooooo long, I feel like the next frontier for me lies with high end PC gaming. I am planning on purchasing either a Razer Blade Pro (Gtx 1080), or an Alienware 15 r3 (Gtx 1070) in the near future as portability is paramount for me atm ^^; 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
14 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Pretty valid point there, but its kinda cheating IMO and although PCs do give me the option to customize my controls, I'm just speaking with what the PC controls are by default which I have mixed feelings with. Keyboard and Mouse I can get used to pretty quickly due to my muscle memory. If I have to go out of my way just to get an actual video game controller to play most of my PC games, then I might consider it though it does make me wonder.

I don't see it as cheating, also, it doesn't take effort to find a controller to use, literally all you need to do is go to your nearest store and buy an Xbox controller, it's that simple. You would do it to buy extra controllers for your console, so it doesn't make a difference.

8 minutes ago, Someguyinablazer said:

Whatever you prefer to use. I personally don't care what I am playing on as long as i enjoy the game. I mostly have games on console.

As for the Pc Master Race out there who might call me a dirty console peasant, I will say this: I've had sex, and you haven't.

I don't see how being a pc master race means they haven't done that.

1 minute ago, K.Rool Addict said:

HOWEVER! Consoles are far more easy to use. I don't care what you PC elitists say, consoles are plain and simply much much easier to get into than pc's.

If you're talking current gen consoles, no they are not.

Edited by Celli
  • Brohoof 2

Both have their pros and cons, but it really depends on what you're looking for.

PC gaming is for people who want to get the most out their machines and gaming experiences, the kind of people who care about things like frame rates, memory capacity and RAM. The kind of people who, more often than not, end up building their own system from the ground up so they can fine tune everything done to the smallest detail. PC Games also have the advantage of being mod-able, with countless mods that either fix issues with the game or create and entirely new experince, granting a game great longevity. The main problem is that PC gaming isn't cheap, whether you build your own or not.

By comparison, Console gaming is for people who don't want to spend hours and money building their own PC and just want something that will work. Most consoles don't run anywhere near as much as a high-end gaming PC and, in my experience anyway, most mainstream games seem to be built for consoles, with a smaller number of them eventually getting ported. Ports for both can either be good or bad (PC port of Dark Souls anyone?), and with consoles you can just buy a game and go without having to worry if your system has the required specs to run it. 

Myself? I'm a console gamer cause I just want to put in a game and go, and I don't care about frame rates as long as the game runs smooth enough and doesn't skip.   

• Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Do most PCs even have their own video game controllers strictly designed to play video games similar to what most consoles have?

81oyj8wrlCL._SX522_.jpg

One example, the Steam Controller. I've had one of these since it launched, and it's my go-to controller. Windows 10 also has built-in drivers for Xbone controllers.

15 minutes ago, Envy said:

I don't claim one as better over the other, but for my preferences I definitely prefer consoles.

Consoles are wonderful, because you buy them, you plug them in, and they run any game that is made for that system just like that. PC is so much more complicated and overtly expensive. I would know, just wanting to run The Sims 3 as well as it could. I spent a fortune on building a PC for that game (even finding the parts at cheaper prices). Even though I tried to go by the best guides by The Sims 3 fans I could to find the parts I needed, the card I ended up choosing was not properly read by the game, causing a multitude of issues. I was so peeved. That was the first PC I ever got to build with gaming in mind. Beforehand I had to deal with playing The Sims 2 and 3 on PCs that could not properly run them at all.

PC gaming is such a headache. I don't even want to. I'm so glad that The Sims 4 is a mediocre entry not worthy of my money so I don't have to worry about PC gaming anymore.

I also like having my gaming separate from my PC. I don't know, it's just the way I am.

Additionally, at the end of the day, the majority of franchises I enjoy are from Nintendo. And it's the games that make a platform. Aside from The Sims there isn't much for me on the PC. Did you know I have a Steam account with some games, but I haven't even installed Steam on my PC? Lol. I've had this PC for nearly three years now. For the third party franchises I enjoy, I have a PS4, which I find a better experience because I know the games will run on that system and I won't have to worry about parts that aren't up to par or for some reason an individual game doesn't read properly. I especially don't need that kind of stress anymore because now I don't really have any income coming in.

There are plus sides to PC gaming, such as modding. I love how I could download mods and custom content for The Sims 2 and 3 and not worry about the company bricking my system because it doesn't like that. But at the end of the day, I'll take consoles. Consoles will not give me a migraine, and they have the games I will play.

So, you had poor experiences with 2 games, and you basically say "fuck PC gaming"? Oh, and good luck fixing the PS4 yourself if it ever goes wrong.

16 minutes ago, Someguyinablazer said:

The fact that this is a go-to insult against PC gamers says a lot about the mentality of a console fanboy.

Also, Terry Crews.

veqBRce.png

10 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

HOWEVER! Consoles are far more easy to use. I don't care what you PC elitists say, consoles are plain and simply much much easier to get into than pc's. So, if you wanna just plop down on your couch or bed or whatever and not think about tinkering with settings, downloading additional drivers, updating BIOS, re-installing games because they are for some reason suddenly having issues, etc, etc. <-- if you DON'T wanna deal with all that ulcer inducing bullshit, then consoles are the way to go lmao.

I'll admit, I have had few issues with some games. But none of them involved additional drivers that I didn't know about, updating the BIOS, (Which does not affect in-game performance at all, unless the motherboard manufacturer is a dipshit, which none of them really are.) or re-installing them. If anything, verifying the integrity of the files, which is easy, is the most I've ever had to do, and that involves a whole 5 mouse clicks. None of those have ever caused ulcers.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Vulon Bii said:

81oyj8wrlCL._SX522_.jpg

One example, the Steam Controller. I've had one of these since it launched, and it's my go-to controller. Windows 10 also has built-in drivers for Xbone controllers.

It's so byotiful. :ooh: Confirmed, getting that controller soon to play most of my PC games. Thanks Vulon Bii. Been living in a rock here for a long time so pardon my initial confusion and ignorance.

• Brohoof 1

^Just wanted to say, I have heard from multiple sources that this controller is not so hot lol. Bad things about the D-pad and trackpad responsiveness. I of course cannot confirm this myself, just putting it out there as over the years I have heard people dissing it quite frequently >.>

13 minutes ago, Vulon Bii said:

So, you had poor experiences with 2 games, and you basically say "fuck PC gaming"? Oh, and good luck fixing the PS4 yourself if it ever goes wrong.

The Sims series is supposed to be a low-end series which only requires low-end PCs to run properly. If the PC I have right now could not properly run it, I don't even want to imagine what a more intensive game would require.

The reason the game did not run the card properly was some issue with the card being too new.

Besides, The Sims series is really the only PC series of interest to me, so yes, I can just forget about PC gaming if I move on from The Sims.

It's a good thing that I've had so much more luck with consoles than with PCs. The only console I remember having issues with was the GCN, it stopped reading discs, but I played that console a lot. All of my other consoles are in working order. Yet PCs have always been a major headache for me. It was like half a year after getting this PC that it already broke and I already had to order new RAM. I suppose it's a good thing that PCs can be fixed easier because they sure as heck are wonky. As I said, I have no room for that stress in my life.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

^Just wanted to say, I have heard from multiple sources that this controller is not so hot lol. Bad things about the D-pad and trackpad responsiveness. I of course cannot confirm this myself, just putting it out there as over the years I have heard people dissing it quite frequently >.>

You just had to ruin the moment there for me didn't you K. Rool Addict? :dry: I was looking so forward to this controller. Eh... whatever, someday I hope there's a controller out there for PCs strictly designed to play video games.

Just now, ZethaPonderer said:

You just had to ruin the moment there for me didn't you K. Rool Addict? :dry: I was looking so forward to this controller. Eh... whatever, someday I hope there's a controller out there for PCs strictly designed to play video games.

XDDD

Well, you can always just get an Xbox One Elite controller:

4 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Like I said, I've had mine since launch, and I've had no issues with it. The only times I've heard people bad-mouthing it is when they don't actually understand it. The only I don't like about is the glossy plastic parts.

Just now, ZethaPonderer said:

Who would you rather trust, the early adopter, or someone who has only read about it?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Vulon Bii said:

Like I said, I've had mine since launch, and I've had no issues with it. The only times I've heard people bad-mouthing it is when they don't actually understand it. The only I don't like about is the glossy plastic parts.

Who would you rather trust, the early adopter, or someone who has only read about it?

... Fair point, there Vulon Bii. If your controller still works like wonders then I'm getting it, if it doesn't work then I guess I'll go for the Xbox Elite Controller that K. Rool would recommend. For now, you have my trust. I'll look up all the details of both controllers either way to get the jist of them and see if any of my games work on them. I'll probably get the controller as long as I become financially successful in life. Right now, gotta survive in college.

Edited by ZethaPonderer

Just now, Vulon Bii said:

^Lol, well, like I said before, I cannot vouch for it's quality or lack thereof. Just letting the dude know there have been many detractors >.>

But yeah, you can literally get like, any controller up and working on a pc. Hell they got modifications to get those old huge (amazingly comfortable) "Duke" controllers from the original Xbox working on pc :o 

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

^HOLY SHIT apparently those rumors from over a year ago were true!!! This controller is just <33333 And now it'll be readily available at consumer electronic shops again!? \(^o^)/

• Brohoof 1