Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old is Thorax?

ggg-2

We don't know how fast/slow changelings age, so he could be as old as the mane 6, older, or far younger but older by changeling standards.

I would just take the safe bet and say somewhere in the mane 6 range, so 20s.

After metamorphosis, I would say he's an adult.

Now, about changelings lifespan, I don't think it would be explored and we're supposed to believe they're similar to ponies lifespan. Giving them actual insect like lifespans would mean they would live very short after metamorphosis, usually with the sole purpose of mating and... Oh! That would explain why they have no hunger anymore!

Ok... Now I have a messed up headcanon (poor Chrysalis, she just wanted her hive to keep on living).

21 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

usually with the sole purpose of mating and... Oh! That would explain why they have no hunger anymore!

What are you talking about?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
30 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

After metamorphosis, I would say he's an adult.

Now, about changelings lifespan, I don't think it would be explored and we're supposed to believe they're similar to ponies lifespan. Giving them actual insect like lifespans would mean they would live very short after metamorphosis, usually with the sole purpose of mating and... Oh! That would explain why they have no hunger anymore!

Ok... Now I have a messed up headcanon (poor Chrysalis, she just wanted her hive to keep on living).

Just because they look like insects Does NOT mean they function exactly like insects in real life! They feed off of love instead of whatever real insects feed on, for crying out loud!

The ponies were shown eating stuff that would normally kill them. Heck early on they show them throwing up; something real horses can't do!

This isn't Earth, this is Equestria! The biology of these animals shouldn't be exactly the same!

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
45 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

What are you talking about?

A lot of methamorphic insects feed a lot during their early stages to morph, then at the last stage their only purpose is mating, some of them even stop feeding at all to accomplish that.

38 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Just because they look like insects Does NOT mean they function exactly like insects in real life! They feed off of love instead of whatever real insects feed on, for crying out loud!

This isn't Earth, this is Equestria! The biology of these animals shouldn't be exactly the same!

Of course, and this is exactly why I first said:

1 hour ago, DonMaguz said:

about changelings lifespan, I don't think it would be explored and we're supposed to believe they're similar to ponies lifespan.

I was just trying to overthink a bit with known real life information, it doesn't mean that I really believe they'll do it. On top of it, we're discussing about a child's fantasy show, of course they will use fantasy to keep away from the cruel side of real life nature!

Edited by DonMaguz
Misspelling
  • Brohoof 2

On 25/7/2017 at 8:49 PM, WiiGuy2014 said:

Well, we dont have enough infomation in in-universe so we have to speculate based on what we human can understand.

• 1 year later...

He's very shy and inexperienced with all manner of things, only having really improved recently after becoming a leader. I'd say younger than the Mane Six but still a young adult.

I would say that he's a bit younger than the main 6 and closer to Starlight and Spike in age... which is early 20s. For the record i think the main six are mid to late 20's... rarity and applejack might even be in their 30s at this point. I think Starlight is that fresh outta college age 22-23 and spike a bit younger 17-20.  If i had to pick a age for Thorax... It would be 21.

• 1 year later...

I have no idea how Changelings age, so I can't really make any assumptions about that. In human years, I would guess that Thorax is between eighteen and twenty. He seems like a young adult at the very least, but younger than the Mane Six.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2017 at 11:23 AM, Truffles said:

Since he took on the form of a teenage pony as Crystal Hoof, that to me is an indicator he's a teenager. Plus the voice is a dead giveaway.

Since changeling maturity rate is unknown this is really the best indication we have. Thorax choose that age for a reason. While Thorax has physical changed his age would still be the same.

So based on his pony form and that he was chosen to be Spike's friend, Thorax has to be around Spike and the student six's age range.

• 4 weeks later...