Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

RD. I really hate her mane.

Widdershins

I feel it's a topic that surprisingly no Bronies talk about. 

Now don't get me wrong, I love the mare despite her faults and even because of them. It's just... She has the absolute worst character design I've seen of anything ever. And I implore you all to try and convince me otherwise.

Now, I can see that a sky-borne creature would have the natural body hue of blue. It camouflages you into the sky so predators can't just throw a rock at you and knock you down or something. But... a rainbow mane...? Reeeeally? Yes, yes. I know. It's a Magical Horse World and all that, but this, above all else beleaguers my Suspension of Disbelief. What? We're to just simply assume that every two inches along her exact row of head hair magically sprouts another of a specifically selected seven colors? And yes! It is exactly seven colors! She's literally growing out Roy G. Biv! The painter's mnemonic for the order of colors in a very literal rainbow! J-just think about this logically now. That requires seven entirely different spectrums of light to be coded into her DNA to grow out at specifically ordered parts of her skin. Even in real creatures of only one hair color it STILL comes out in randomly dispersed lighter shades. How many have I seen with flecks of more golden hair among darker hair? And we're to be expected to belief that every single shaft of the now dead hair growing out somehow all follows the exact tint & shade of its required spectrum?!!?

Even putting aside genetics for the sake of waving it away with Da Magicks, that still rears the ugly head of Logic! You know what happens when you have varying colors grouped haphazardly together? Especially on a mare who wouldn't want to give too much thought into her grooming lest she be mistaken for girly or have it interfere with her flight training. It gets mussed up. Strands overlap. It becomes a hideous ensemble of seven different colors all overlapping each other like somebody blew up a party clown. Rainbow Dash's mane cannot physically work even on the plush toys they try to make with more hair-like materials. 

Nothing alive can possibly have a mane like Rainbow Dash. This peeves me. Clearly. To me, this just really smacks that the Hasbro agency or whomever was in charge at the time took one look at Lauren Faust's original concept design and just shouted at her to make her more flashy to attract the short-attention-span-ed youth of today. "What? The sporty one, eh? Well, let's give her some flash-in-the-pan Razzle Dazzle and that'll be sure to loosen up the wallets of the kiddo's parents! Surely this hoohah of a female having interests outside being girly can't sell on its own!" And that truly saddens me. I've seen Faust's original concept colors and they look far more palpable. Surely they can't ask a writer & artist to just completely overhaul their vision like that just to sell things better?

Rainbow Mane Peeves me. 

Why does nobeing else seem nearly as neurotically ticked about this?

...Oh. And for those about to say that it's hereditary because her Father has it... I got a headcannon for that. 

Considering how her parents are portrayed as rabid sportsfans of their daughter, it wouldn't be too far out of character to say that he's dyed his own mane to match his daughters as a show of loyalty. RD, in turn, actually dyes her own hair and has since she was a filly. We've seen rainbow pools up in Cloudsdale that leave that magical dye-stripes effect on Pinkie's tongue. Maybe she's got hair more like her mother's. Vaguely striped, kind of dull, maybe a more natural brown. Maybe she slipped in the rainbow pools accidentally as a filly and decided to keep it or she's been doing it ever since because it makes her stand out more and feel more competitive. Seems like a kind of anti-culture thing that Dash would do. Can't have a fanclub if you look like everypony else, right?

• Brohoof 3

I just think it looks neat. 

Also, not sure how you can tolerate this show if you put that much thought into Flash-animated rainbow hair. There are a lot of goofy design elements in it. 

• Brohoof 7

Nah, MLP characters aren't designed for camoflauge. Even if they were, you could argue that pegasus ponies share DNA with birds—which tend to be very colorful. 

I don't think Hasbro considers genetics much. A pony might look somewhat like their parents, but mainly it's designed to appeal to kids. Each pony has a theme and pretty colors to match. Personally I prefer the color scheme of white with rainbow mane and tail because that's more like prism colors, but Rainbow Bright did that. 

I slightly touch on genetics with one of my OCs, but that's just because I'm a fan of genetics. I don't expect anything like that from the show. 

• Brohoof 3

@Widdershins

It's a fantasy world! If you won't accept Rainbow's mane, then by that logic you shouldn't even accept that ponies control the weather! Sounds hypocritical to me. I thought you'd be more open-minded. You disappoint me very much. 

:(

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Hierok said:

Many characters have different colored hair, it is just very extreme. 

Yes, I concur. Three, maybe four colors in a mane I can get behind and accept. But SEVEN?!!? In one mane? That's frankly pushing things, right?!

6 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

by that logic you shouldn't even accept that ponies control the weather!

Admittedly, if you're asking me, that sounds terribly like it's asking for trouble. Would you have to schedule hurricanes or just never have them for fear of their devastation and keep it pent up and manage nature itself like some sorta dictator?...but I do digress. It's the logic really about the mane that aggravates me. Don't get me wrong, its just little things here & there that focus all my ire. I honestly try to be a pretty accepting fellow. Had far too much judgement directed towards myself to ever want to bring it to bear against another. I do thank you for calling me out on that though. I get ranty, hee!

7 hours ago, They call me Loyalty said:

don't get me started with characters such as Celestia and Luna.

Do like the comic-strip-fannon there that Celly & Loony are actually bald in their immortal old age. That their hair is just a magical hologram from their golden jewelry and baldness is a trait in alicorns. See, THAT, i'll accept as pure magic. Magic would do that after all. Even Twi's little mane streak I can see as being natural hair color in this world.

Just Dashie is absolutey outrageous. So much clash. I'm surprised we don't get Rarity making an indirect comment. "Heavens darling... I just can't match ANYTHING to you..."

6 hours ago, Total Lunar Eclipse said:

pegasus ponies share DNA with birds—which tend to be very colorful. 

Yeah, but that's a feather medium there. You can get a whole different sheen on feathers. In theory, if you ascribe to the idea that the wings would be the only feathered part, I don't mind the wings being a different color too. There's a natural difference in what the feather fibers can reach.

6 hours ago, Total Lunar Eclipse said:

I don't think Hasbro considers genetics much. A pony might look somewhat like their parents, but mainly it's designed to appeal to kids. Each pony has a theme and pretty colors to match. Personally I prefer the color scheme of white with rainbow mane and tail because that's more like prism colors, but Rainbow Bright did that. 

Aye. Bein' a goofy cartoon is one thing. If the design is so contrary to even itself that the companies you hire to make your toys can't recreate your character design sort of just a stuffed, tiny pillow in place of the mane (which, frankly, works amazingly.) then you might have painted yourself into a corner here. I'd hazzard that the design actually interferes with the idea of selling the character's merchandise.

You just can't work an entire rainbow, from what I can personally tell. I do agree though, that a white coat helps it blend together well for a character design for the reasons you stated. Black, to a degree, as a base framing to the rainbow too, but only for signage and such.

An entire rainbow is just far & away too much to work with!

...which... frankly kind of matches the character too... Never said it didn't manage to work for ol' Raininator... but I didn't say I had to like it, lol!

• Brohoof 2

Reminds me of Ho-Oh in Pokemon—it's supposed to be the Rainbow Pokemon, but hardware limitations of the Gameboy Color resulted in it being only a few different colors. But here they actualy went through with it. 

And I was just thinking that about black, too. I'm not a fan of the light blue, but just a personal thing. It makes sense because blue = sky and rainbows are in the sky. It works with the camouflage argument since pegasus ponies are usually flying around in the blue sky amongst rainbows. 

As for the feathers, yeah it would make more sense for the wings. I still think it works for manes given the fact that other ponies have been shown to have any and all different colors in their manes/tails. Also, Celestia, Luna, etc. have so much magic that their manes flow with it. I believe all ponies in the MLP universe have some degree of he same magic in their manes, even the Earth ponies, which causes vibrant colors. Just not as powerful as the princesses. Rainbow Dash's mane and Rainboom ability seem intertwined, so I think the magic is in her mane and results in its color.

If Hasbro can't get a Rainbow Dash toy out because of the mane, then it fails as a design, though. And it is distracting. Makes her stand out more than the others, which in a way fits her character (she wants to stand out and be awesome). They could have given her a mane with only 3 colors and called it a rainbow like in the gen 3 design I wonder if people would comment about it not being a full rainbow if they had done that.

Edited by Total Lunar Eclipse
  • Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Widdershins said:

I feel it's a topic that surprisingly no Bronies talk about. 

Now don't get me wrong, I love the mare despite her faults and even because of them. It's just... She has the absolute worst character design I've seen of anything ever. And I implore you all to try and convince me otherwise.

Now, I can see that a sky-borne creature would have the natural body hue of blue. It camouflages you into the sky so predators can't just throw a rock at you and knock you down or something. But... a rainbow mane...? Reeeeally? Yes, yes. I know. It's a Magical Horse World and all that, but this, above all else beleaguers my Suspension of Disbelief. What? We're to just simply assume that every two inches along her exact row of head hair magically sprouts another of a specifically selected seven colors? And yes! It is exactly seven colors! She's literally growing out Roy G. Biv! The painter's mnemonic for the order of colors in a very literal rainbow! J-just think about this logically now. That requires seven entirely different spectrums of light to be coded into her DNA to grow out at specifically ordered parts of her skin. Even in real creatures of only one hair color it STILL comes out in randomly dispersed lighter shades. How many have I seen with flecks of more golden hair among darker hair? And we're to be expected to belief that every single shaft of the now dead hair growing out somehow all follows the exact tint & shade of its required spectrum?!!?

Even putting aside genetics for the sake of waving it away with Da Magicks, that still rears the ugly head of Logic! You know what happens when you have varying colors grouped haphazardly together? Especially on a mare who wouldn't want to give too much thought into her grooming lest she be mistaken for girly or have it interfere with her flight training. It gets mussed up. Strands overlap. It becomes a hideous ensemble of seven different colors all overlapping each other like somebody blew up a party clown. Rainbow Dash's mane cannot physically work even on the plush toys they try to make with more hair-like materials. 

Nothing alive can possibly have a mane like Rainbow Dash. This peeves me. Clearly. To me, this just really smacks that the Hasbro agency or whomever was in charge at the time took one look at Lauren Faust's original concept design and just shouted at her to make her more flashy to attract the short-attention-span-ed youth of today. "What? The sporty one, eh? Well, let's give her some flash-in-the-pan Razzle Dazzle and that'll be sure to loosen up the wallets of the kiddo's parents! Surely this hoohah of a female having interests outside being girly can't sell on its own!" And that truly saddens me. I've seen Faust's original concept colors and they look far more palpable. Surely they can't ask a writer & artist to just completely overhaul their vision like that just to sell things better?

Rainbow Mane Peeves me. 

Why does nobeing else seem nearly as neurotically ticked about this?

...Oh. And for those about to say that it's hereditary because her Father has it... I got a headcannon for that. 

Considering how her parents are portrayed as rabid sportsfans of their daughter, it wouldn't be too far out of character to say that he's dyed his own mane to match his daughters as a show of loyalty. RD, in turn, actually dyes her own hair and has since she was a filly. We've seen rainbow pools up in Cloudsdale that leave that magical dye-stripes effect on Pinkie's tongue. Maybe she's got hair more like her mother's. Vaguely striped, kind of dull, maybe a more natural brown. Maybe she slipped in the rainbow pools accidentally as a filly and decided to keep it or she's been doing it ever since because it makes her stand out more and feel more competitive. Seems like a kind of anti-culture thing that Dash would do. Can't have a fanclub if you look like everypony else, right?

The headcanon has nothing to do with that. that is ruin

These ponies, when they reach an epiphany about themselves in adolescence, develop perfect images on their flanks. These images are made up of fur, the hair on their bodies. And it is their fur, not their skin, evidenced here.

gerf_s2e23_ss2.jpg

Individual hairs grow in just the right spot so that the perfect likeness of an apple or a balloon or whatever can be seen.

In light of accepting this, I am very unconcerned about Rainbow Dash’s mane.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 8

16 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

These ponies, when they reach an epiphany about themselves in adolescence, develop perfect images on their flanks. These images are made up of fur, the hair on their bodies. And it is their fur, not their skin, evidenced here.

gerf_s2e23_ss2.jpg

Individual hairs grow in just the right spot so that the perfect likeness of an apple or a balloon or whatever can be seen.

Now, explain that with science. I personally love RDs mane. Dont be so critical of a kids show. Its supposed to just be cute n bright, friendship n rainbows blaring up your eyeholes!

17 minutes ago, CrystalBloodMoon, Scoffer of Humans said:

Now, explain that with science. I personally love RDs mane. Dont be so critical of a kids show. Its supposed to just be cute n bright, friendship n rainbows blaring up your eyeholes!

You may be more the Scoffer of Disney (which I don't like to see), but I do agree that one shouldn't be too critical of a kids show.

• Brohoof 1

Not to be rude, but are you seriously upset about this?
Cause in a world where wolves are made out of tree trunks, hydras look like King Ghidorah, and ponies speak perfect English. I think there's way more illogical things to get upset about, than a pony with a natural rainbow mane.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude. I loved your post, especially the headcannon about them dying their manes.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4160198?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

> Walks off 

3 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

gerf_s2e23_ss2.jpg

With the power vested in me by millions of Eagles fans still drunk off their ass, I award you the title of thread winner. 

:D

9 minutes ago, Jeric said:

With the power invested in me by millions of Eagles fans still drunk off their ass, I award you the title of thread winner. 

:D

Oh gosh, oh gosh!! I’d like to thank the academy and everyone that believed in me... :wub:

• Brohoof 3

You don't like RD's mane? THAT IS BLASPHEME! THAT IS TREASON! OFF TO THE GULAG WITH YOU!!! :glimmer:

But in all seriousness, I think your putting a little too much thought into this. It's just a kids show and the colors were probably made to attract the attention of the younger viewers because kids like bright flashy colors like the ones in RD's mane. Also, I think her mane makes her extremely unique from the rest of her friends who have mostly solid colored manes, not to mention that the colors of her mane really complement her personality too.  

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@ShadOBabe

3 hours ago, CrystalBloodMoon, Scoffer of Humans said:

Now, explain that with science!

Uhhh... Well... I can just take a wild, flailing stab of corrupted logic then?

Shoot... Uh, Kind of always thought Cutie Marks were supposed to be tattoos? Judging by the Cutie Pox episode I thought it was implied they were imprinted on skin? They did pop up like a somewhat mind-controlling rash. But, that was magic after all & that leaves me with only one weak leg to stand on.

"It's only a verbal fleshwound! Ah kin' still 'edbutt yeh!"

2 hours ago, Lonic: Professor Levi said:

Not to be rude, but are you seriously upset about this?

Naaah. Not really. May sound like it though. I come from a long line of bullheaded mules.

It's all just aesthetics, really. I can accept alot. Just got done watching a playthrough of Bloodbourne and I'm looking at each of the tentacle demons all like: "Eh. I'd hug it. If it didn't kill me first." It just bothers me if it means what I think about them just slapping around the original idea out of shape just to fit what they think will sell better. Like, artist's integrity, right man?

I don't ever want to be the guy who makes others think they should doubt themselves. I'd want you or anybeing else to call me out on it if I shoot my muzzle off too much.

That being said....

2 hours ago, Nye said:

I’d like to see the original concept art. Do you have a link to it so I could compare and contrast? 

Sure thing, @Bill

Original_Main_Six.jpg   More or less, what I think it was.

Kind of... slightly, overall better IMO. Fluttershy kind of makes more sense as an earth pony, I'd say. 

Marked difference really, but pretty much comes out even to the final result perhaps. Still, a world apart and it strains me to think an artist would have to redo everything like that at the whim of business.

@Keeng O' Dah Cantyloots

Yaaays! I love Ghoulash Stew!!!

Aye, I do concur. Rainbow can make anything look Dashing. It does work, and that's a point I freely admit. I'm by no means calling for a full out recall and overhaul at this point in the show.

...But...J-Just... Why tho'? It's just so busy!

It's a pet peeve of mine. Surely everybeing gets those, y'know? I still love her for what she is in the show. She could be better designed... but I'm not upset about this. It's like... let me attempt an analogy. The older Pokemon games were awesome and were supercool & a big part of my life! Aaand they'd murder my eyes now if I tried to go back and play them. It's a memory I'd never give up for anything! And I don't understand how I ever played them as a kid without my eyes going on strike from trying to decipher the black & white pixelated mess.

Ambivalence, Bros.

Edited by Widdershins
  • Brohoof 1