Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your thoughts on anime?

Thorgir the Mighty

I have watched a lot of anime, so I do enjoy it. Although recently I have gotten more tired of the cliches in Shonen anime/manga, I still watch them anyway. Lol.

I suppose for me anime is just another medium to watch and enjoy. I suppose I have more access to anime than I do any other visual media at this point, though, because I have a subscription to Crunchyroll and pretty much nothing else.

5 hours ago, Royce said:

Of course it's reliable. Breitbart told me so.

Is ChristianForums really that bad? I have an account on there from back when I was a Christian.

Anyway, some anime/manga do things that would be considered quite blasphemous to some people who are deeply Christian. I wouldn't call them fake just because of that. I remember when I was young South Park came on and Jesus was on there and I was like "Turn that off! They're making fun of Jesus!", and I mean, I was never a hyper Christian or anything. So I can see how people would feel the same about anime, especially since anime is from Japan which is far less Christian than the US.

One Piece, of all anime/manga, had a scene in recent years where it depicted one of its characters in the same pose as how Jesus was allegedly crucified and ever since has been referred to him with "God" before his name. LOL. If I were a kid I would have been sooo flustered by that, just like I was with South Park. Even as an atheist, I was a bit like "Wow, did they really just?" when that happened, but it actually was one of the funniest moments in the series so far.

I remember being told that Pokemon was satanic back when I was a child. I don't even understand where that came from. Note: This was back in Generation I, so Pokemon like Houndoom hadn't even been created or revealed yet (I love Houndoom, by the way!).

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm a bit of an Anime purist, and though I realise this can be a problem, I've grown up with Anime my whole life basically, so I get really picky. And I've lost touch with people who've disagreed with me. For example, unpopular opinion, I hate it when Western cartoons blatantly rip off Anime styles for a cash grab. "hey the kids are watching this stuff, let's do that!" Many argue, "well Anime has been inspired by Western animation for years!" 
Of course it has, but the key word is "inspired" not "ripped off". I probably would have enjoyed say---Avatar or Teen Titans if they hadn't ripped off Anime stylisation AND done it so POORLY. It's so blatant it makes my stomach turn, it's not even done with the sense of homage or respect. Just blatant, brash, crude, non-seamless rip off quality.

I could make a list of Anime I hate but that's not the topic at hand.

Anime as a whole---adore it. As I said, I grew up with it, and a lot of the storylines, and artisic styles are just something that was so beautiful and refreshing for Animation as a whole. While there are certainly bad examples of this, I think Anime in general has been a great boon to the world, and has brought a lot of people from different cultures, walks of life, age, gender, sexualities, religions, etc, together and formed a family. We may not always get along, and yes, there are those annyoing family members that just don't represent the rest of us, but they are still a part of something much greater than we are. I have seen the good Anime can do, and the joy and brightness it can bring to the world and to people's lives.

Edited by Memento Mori
  • Brohoof 1

i think i see the problem, most of you guys' only experience is anime is hentai and ecchi trash, not a proper round of DRagon Ball or Miss Kobaioshi's Dragon Maid. I swear most of it's not perverted.

Anime is really no different than Western animation. There are many different genres and types. To say anime is trash or cringey is no different than generalizing all of western animation. The only real difference between western and Japanese anime is the art style. Japanese anime is generally stylistic, big eyes that people consider "anime" and most seem to follow big long arcs.

I'll have you guys know that anime was in fact created by Satan, i was doing my daily satanic rituals and i asked my friend, Satan if he made anime, and he said yes, he could be lying but someone as wholesome as Satan would never lie!

I'd say one reason it's popular is you see anerican tv(or british or wherever you are) and mainstream movies and you become pretty familiar with them and then you discover this whole trove of stuff that's brand new to you.

American animation, with a few exceptions, has become generic in many ways. Anime is at least fresh and original; always throwing in some interesting surprises that no American would dare allow past their little planning committees. While some of these touches don't always work, it's at least an attempt to do something fresh. Hollywood is afraid to do anything that hasn't been tried and proven already, resulting in repetition and stagnation. Anime, by mixing in the cultural aspects of the Japanese, gives us a new perspective on material we only thought we knew before. Anime is often staggeringly beautiful to look at and the character designs are attractive. I don't watch many of the series' but the movies are a major addiction for me. I love anything Miyazaki and a lot from Makoto Shinkai. There's something both restful and compelling about it. 

• Brohoof 2

On 2018-05-15 at 10:00 PM, Quadropus said:

I'll have you guys know that anime was in fact created by Satan, i was doing my daily satanic rituals and i asked my friend, Satan if he made anime, and he said yes, he could be lying but someone as wholesome as Satan would never lie!

No way. Satan and I are actually best buds.

Enema is great for relieving my constipation so I don’t have to scream like Super Saiyan up my bum.

Oh wait this is about Anime... how embarrassing. :blush:

*clears throat*

Anime is great for relieving my constipation...

Jokes aside I’m not that much of an Anime viewer. I’m more into Shonen over other genres of Anime. :derp:

• Brohoof 1

Love it. Love it. Love it.

While I am extremley particular about my anime, I am a dedicated viewer. My favorite anime is Naruto Shippuden.

(edited)

I just can't stand anime or manga anymore. I feel like the industry has really been run into the ground especially during the current decade. I used to be a huge massive weeaboo when I was ages 12-20. Death Note, Higurashi, Elfen Lied, Lucky Star, Manabi Straight, Haruhi, Gurren Lagaan, FLCL, Dokuro-chan, Ichigo Mashimaro, Kodomo no Jikan, Mahoromatic, Abenobashi, Cardcaptor Sakura, Digimon Adventure, Digimon Tamers, Tokyo Mew Mew, Magical Pokemon Journey, Peach Girl, Pani Poni Dash, etc...

^These series had such a hugely positive influence on my life in general, and I can still go back to watching/ reading almost all of them and enjoy myself. Problem is, there hasn't been any new anime/ manga I have discovered within the last 10 years that managed to "wow" me like these old series have. Hell, mosts series nowadays bore the ever-loving crap outta me. Take the character in my avatar for example. She's the MC in Little Witch Academia. I gave the show a try about a year and a half ago (since I am quite fond of the whole Harry Potter-esque setting/ plot). But after watching, maybe 10 episodes, I was like "Jesus, this freaking sucks!" It just felt so generic, like my god. The animation was very, VERY cheap-looking, characters felt like cookie-cutter architypes plastered here and there to appeal to the waifu-centric mainstream animu consumers, and the plot fell completely flat in terms of interesting developments. Instead of actually being fun to watch it was a total chore to sit through. This sorta thing tends to happen with ALMOST any new anime I try out nowadays.

A few notable exceptions:

Nichijou (2011) [I watched from 2011-2012] - I was completely blown away by this one. Actually think it may just be as good as Lucky Star and Pani Poni Dash, effectively making it part of the holy trinity of referential, over-the-top, slice of life anime in my mind at least xD The art style was pleasant with plenty of little nuances here and there, and the comedy was on point. Just near perfection from a comedy angle.

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee (2011) [I watched in 2012] - Was beautifully animated, had a very touching, yet mundane plot, and excellent pacing. Only issue was it's 12 freaking episodes >.< I was left wanting more lol

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (2011) [I watched in 2013] - Has to be stated up front; this anime is SUPER overrated. BUT that doesn't mean it isn't good. I really enjoyed the darker tones juxtaposing against the light and fluffy magical girl exterior. I loved Homura's little "Higurashi-esque" time paradox. I loved the art-style particularly in the touched up Blu-ray release. But again, it was too damn short imo (which can probably be said about nearly all the anime on this "exceptions list" now that I think about it lol.) Regardless, this anime was good, but certainly not great.

Usagi Drop (2011) [I watched in 2014] - Very interesting dual art style used before and after the opening in each episode. Very casual and relaxing yet stimulating. I was really invested seeing what challenges each day would present to the MC. Had a similar appeal to Ikoku in terms of the two main characters' relationship evolving throughout, but wasn't done quite as well imo.

Yuru Yuri (2011) [I watched in 2015] - I expected this to be yet another garbage Lucky Star wannabe, but despite the extremely lackluster visual presentation and generic character models, it was astonishingly well written and the humor really resonated with me. 

Anohana (2011) [I watched in 2015] - This was immaculately conceived and executed. I was honestly very, very impressed with this upon my initial viewing. I actually watched it with my father, and he insisted on continuing episode after episode. Before we knew it, we watched the entire freaking thing in one go! Watching it again, you start to notice all the narrative shortcomings and animation blemishes, though the character interactions are still top tier no matter the amount of viewings. I'd say this is my favorite out of the 6 I have listed, but Ikoku and Nichijou are tied for a very close second.

^You know, it's kinda weird that I never noticed this before, but every single one of my exceptions aired in 2011... >.>;

For the sake of reference, here's a list of anime (in no particular order) that I have given a try within the last decade that completely fell flat for me:

• KIll la Kill
  • Little Witch Academia
  • Astarotte no Omocha 
  • Squid Girl
  • Sword Art Online
  • Attack on Titan
  • Boku no Hero Academia
  • Pokemon X,Y, and Z
  • Pokemon Sun and Moon
  • Steins:Gate
  • Guilty Crown
  • Another 
  • Mirai Nikki
  • Tamako Market
  • Psycho-Pass
  • Log Horizon
  • Dragon Ball Super
  • Eromanga Sensei
  • Gosick
  • One Punch Man
  • Bakemonogatari
  • Seikon no Quasar 
  • Tokyo Ghoul

Please note, this is by no means a complete list, these are just some off the top of my head. Also, when I say I "gave them a try" I mean anywhere from 5-15 episodes depending on the specific series in question.

Edited by Kai-rouken
typo