Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2018 US Mid-Term Elections Chat Thread

Jeric

5 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

Bit predictable how everything turned out, but i think the GOP can be satisfied with the results. Getting a stronger senate was their number 1 goal and that's what they got.

I think it's wrong from the DNC to call this a victory for them, considering they expected a blue wave and instead won the house by barely 20 seats.

I think everything will stay the way as they are.

Honestly neither side can claim a total victory, but both did get what they initially sought. There indeed was a blue wave; it was just localized in the House, which was their initial target. The map heavily favored Republicans from the start, but they did add to their total so kudos to them there.

The geography for 2020 will be quite interesting.

14 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

Honestly neither side can claim a total victory, but both did get what they initially sought. There indeed was a blue wave; it was just localized in the House, which was their initial target. The map heavily favored Republicans from the start, but they did add to their total so kudos to them there.

The geography for 2020 will be quite interesting.

Yeah, it really was a draw. That's why i think that the current political climate will really change much from what is happening now in the US.

The Dems did better in red states like Texas than expected. Cruz was supposed to win by 30 points but only squeaked by with 1. It shows that parts of Texas are becoming more purple. Hopefully the Dems don’t mess up this opportunity and show that they are the adults. Just investigating Trump 24/7 is not going to win them in 2020. Hopefully the House and Senate can work together but I’m not holding my breath.

As was foretold. Energized by their blue dribble, the Democrats must now don their traditional white hoodies, form a circle around Hillary's corpse, and bring her onto this world once more through the power of spirit cooking.  Nancy Pelosi shall guide the ritual, of course.

And remember: 2 scoops, 2 genders, 2 terms ;)

Not surprised that Texas stayed red. Beto put up a good fight though. Honestly I don’t really get into politics cause I don’t like dealing with the arguments that come from it, but damn was Beto charismatic. Every time Cruz talked I instantly zoned out but Beto just would pull me in with his voice lmao.

• Brohoof 1

I literally voted all democratics and a few propositions for California. Said yes to most of the propositions, but no to a couple of them. I also noticed that on some of the ballots, there were THREE circles to fill in, and they were the Democratic candidate, the Republican candidate, and a FREAKING BLANK SPOT, which i found hilarious. :D 

Edited by Kronos the Revenant

3 minutes ago, iceestarz said:

Not surprised that Texas stayed red. Beto put up a good fight though. Honestly I don’t really get into politics cause I don’t like dealing with the arguments that come from it, but damn was Beto charismatic. Every time Cruz talked I instantly zoned out but Beto just would pull me in with his voice lmao.

That was the appeal of Beto. His biggest error was trying to be like Trump and call him Lyin Ted. Cruz is just too slimy and the way he groveled and kissed up to Trump after he insulted his wife turned a lot of people off from him. 

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

County treasure was running unopposed so she obviously won which means Mom gets to keep her job.:yay: And the guy I wanted for sheriff won too.

Oh and we also had a governor come and go without going to jail so good start Illinois. Now let's see if we can get rid of Mike Madigan.:derp:

We shall see how Pritzker does. Also, you forget that Pat Quinn was governor and wasn't put in jail.

3 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

As it stands it was an overall mixed bag for both sides of the aisle. Republicans maintained and expanded their majority in the Senate while Democrats indeed brought a wave in the House. As for the governor races; Republicans maintained their advantage, but Democrats seriously ate into that margin; including an upset win in Wisconsin.

As for my own personal biases I'm extremely happy that Manchin won (Trump and the Republicans who lied about him can sod off), but a few of the Senate losses stung. As it stands I'm happy Trump will have some opposition in DC and that hopefully the new Dem governorships can help to prevent or stifle further gerrymandering.

That said; onto 2020~

I actually like Joe Manchin and even Heidi Heitkamp. Wish there were more moderate Democrats like them. 

1 minute ago, Phosphor said:

I actually like Joe Manchin and even Heidi Heitkamp. Wish there were more moderate Democrats like them. 

I'm really hoping we get some more moderate or centrist candidates in the future. It seems like we're really running low on those these days. :(

• Brohoof 3

I was watching President Trump's remarks and press conference this morning and I find it hard to believe that the events of last night were the "victory" for the Republicans that he is claiming they were. Democrats took the House (which I saw coming since like 2017), won some races in surprising places, inched closer to the GOP in others, and all-around showed that they are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

I didn't vote for Jared Polis here in Colorado--instead voted for Scott Helker (Libertarian)--but Polis is one of the few Democrats I really don't mind being in the governor's office because he leans libertarian on more issues than the average Democrat and he has a proven track record in the House of being able to work with Republicans for bipartisan solutions. He's the first openly gay governor in American history, which makes his win a historic one.

• Brohoof 1

I’m most interested in the dynamic between Trump and the House democrats at this point. It could go one of two ways. They can obstruct and make Trump a lame duck until 2020, or they could try to work with him on common interests. There are plenty of policies Trump promised on the campaign trail that Dems should happily pass in the house, and that Trump can shill for to get passed in the senate. I think the latter is more likely if Pelosi gets the Speaker position, so I’m hoping for that.

#Resist or a symbiotic relationship. The choice is theirs. 

• Brohoof 3

I managed to catch only certain parts of Trump's post-election conference and it was what I expected, awful. Trump did his usual garbage. Stroking his own ego to the heavens, blaming the media for all of the division happening and saying how much everyone loves him. I believe he said something like "Most of the American people have embraced me." His consistent 40% approval ratings speak differently. He also dodged questions, as he does. He even went so far to say that the republicans that lost ONLY lost because they didn't embrace him, Trump. How far up your own ass can a person possibly be? 

I don't think he realizes that this conference was a terrible start after these elections, but this is Trump. He doesn't do much thinking. Even the reporters said that the atmosphere there was only tension, there was no celebrating. Trump is pretty obviously irritated at the republicans not controlling everything. With someone like him leading the republican charge, it isn't difficult to see why they don't have that control. He isn't doing republicans any favors to earn even the slightest amount of support from people that despise the party, like I do.

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I managed to catch only certain parts of Trump's post-election conference and it was what I expected, awful. Trump did his usual garbage. Stroking his own ego to the heavens, blaming the media for all of the division happening and saying how much everyone loves him. I believe he said something like "Most of the American people have embraced me." His consistent 40% approval ratings speak differently. He also dodged questions, as he does. He even went so far to say that the republicans that lost ONLY lost because they didn't embrace him, Trump. How far up your own ass can a person possibly be? 

I don't think he realizes that this conference was a terrible start after these elections, but this is Trump. He doesn't do much thinking. Even the reporters said that the atmosphere there was only tension, there was no celebrating. Trump is pretty obviously irritated at the republicans not controlling everything. With someone like him leading the republican charge, it isn't difficult to see why they don't have that control. He isn't doing republicans any favors to earn even the slightest amount of support from people that despise the party, like I do.

And his approval rating is only still at 40% because the economy is good. When the inevitable recession happens, it'll plummet. 

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Please don't tell me that obviously racist shit head won...I can't remember his name, but I do remember is plain as day terrible comments. I live in Indiana so I can't say I care all that much, but if people seriously voted that guy in..then...ugh.

I don't think you're thinking of the same man. The man who became governor in my dreadful state is just a Trump suck-up. In which case, it wouldn't surprise me if he were racist, too. I just remember his godawful ads in the preliminaries where he attacked the other Republican candidate for not supporting Trump "enough". It was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen in my life, a scare ad which was supposed to scare the viewers by saying that candidate did not endorse Trump, did not support his wall, etc. And... That ad worked. Showing how much my state not only looks away from how bad Trump really is, but practically worships him and will not support any candidate that is not 100% loyal to him.

My view on the state was cemented then. This is Trump Land and I can't take it anymore.

I'm happy that the Democrats regained control of the House for the first time in eight years giving them the means to hold Trump and his administration accountable. How they will use this newly acquired power will be up to them to determine but patience is what they need. Using this power too quickly and/or too harshly could backfire but not using it at all would be a waste of such a resource.

Finally some balance restored, at least for now. Having one party majority in all three government branches is counterintuitive to the whole point of having three branches in the first place - checks and balances. People across the country are waking up and voting, and a lot of them are blue.

Trump was right, he certainly will make America great again, and he'll do it by causing such a ruckus with his terribly run administration that he motivates the whole nation to get involved with voting.

image.png.1541892f67931f59859a7177fc17cfa3.png

image.thumb.png.5b704550b49a057d72da1704a7003764.png

Much props to both of those guys. I wish more people from both sides could get along like this. :)

• Brohoof 3