Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls Cancellation Discussion Thread

CastletonSnob

(edited)

I've heard from people that EqG is going to discontinue due to poor sales in the sinoff's toys as well as the Digital series ending at Season 2 (and with no finale it seems) also for the same reason as well as DHX's partnership with Hasbro has ended and because there is no animation company in Hasbro picking it up or being ordered to pick it up and make one more season.

any confirmation of this and any proof that they are planning on discontinuing that spinoff yet? something tells me that Hasbro is probably already considering doing it and they dont have to be transparent about it.

so is there any confirmation of the digital series ending and there being a finale for it? because it's worrying to me that people still think that it will still continue past season 2 without DHX and believe so to the point of delusion.

Edited by Newman1651

(edited)

Okay so it was confirmed on Twitter by Nick Confalone that Sunset's Backstage Pass was the last special that the crew at DHX worked on and they didn't know it would be at the time they were making it.

So with FiM ending this year as well, it looks likely that EQG was cancelled and this was the finale.  If that is the case I am disappointed as I really enjoyed the franchise and wanted it to get a proper send off.  I'm kinda hoping that this was just the last EQG piece of media produced by DHX and that we could get like a proper finale of sorts produced by Boulder studies (the company that produced the Rainbow Road Trip special), but I am not sure how likely that is.  Well if this really is the end, than EQG had a nice run and I had a lot of fun with the franchise and hope to see more from it in Generation 5 of MLP.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, cmarston1 said:

Okay so it was confirmed on Twitter by Nick Confalone that Sunset's Backstage Pass was the last special that the crew at DHX worked on and they didn't know it would be at the time they were making it.

So with FiM ending this year as well, it looks likely that EQG was cancelled and this was the finale.  If that is the case I am disappointed as I really enjoyed the franchise and wanted it to get a proper send off.

That is BS! Just as EG was getting good again - it had to be cancelled! Coulda just did ONE last special, or even a movie for a proper sendoff! Damn you, Hasbro! How do ya think your crew feels after they put their heart and soul into their work? Not like they even care, jerks.

• Brohoof 1

Spoiler

Should have gone full Rarijack when they had the chance.

Spoiler

Now, in a more serious thought.

Equestria Girls started out as a weird 'What if?' scenario for the lovely FiM characters.

In my opinion, it had just recently gotten it's own rhythm and had separated successfully from FiM, starting at 'Forgotten Friendship', giving their characters a chance to start growing and developing differently than their pony counterparts.

It's a shame that it has to end at this point.

47 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

That is BS! Just as EG was getting good again - it had to be cancelled! Coulda just did ONE last special, or even a movie for a proper sendoff! Damn you, Hasbro! How do ya think your crew feels after they put their heart and soul into their work? Not like they even care, jerks.

Simmer down. One would assume that just about every animated property has staff that put their heart and soul into their work, yet the longevity of EqG specifically is still greater than the large majority of western animation. If you like animation this is a good thing because these guys will likely work on other projects in time allowing a greater diversity of art and body of work. 

1 hour ago, Newman1651 said:

I've heard from people that EqG is going to discontinue due to poor sales in the sinoff's toys as well as the Digital series ending at Season 2 (and with no finale it seems) also for the same reason as well as DHX's partnership with Hasbro has ended and because there is no animation company in Hasbro picking it up or being ordered to pick it up and make one more season.

any confirmation of this and any proof that they are planning on discontinuing that spinoff yet? something tells me that Hasbro is probably already considering doing it and they dont have to be transparent about it.

so is there any confirmation of the digital series ending and there being a finale for it? because it's worrying to me that people still think that it will still continue past season 2 without DHX and believe so to the point of delusion.

@VG_Addict beat your thread to the punch. I merged your topic into his. 

• Brohoof 4

Well... that ended up happening. Oh well. It is what it is. Am I disappointed? Yes, but at the same time, I see this as more of an open-ended conclusion that enables everyone to imagine what their own conclusion could be.

PS: You all knew I would comment on this.

• Brohoof 2

@FlareGun45

I saw what you said about Hasbro "canceling" Equestria Girls. Honestly, the way you called them jerks like that sounds a bit uncalled for.

Like Jeric said, you should simmer down. Me personally, I knew Equestria Girls would have to end sometime but I wouldn't call the Studio jerks if I were you. As I always say, there will always be fans to make fanart and fan fiction of how the world of Equestria and Equestria Girls goes on, even after the show officially ends.

I'm grateful that the show existed at all and gave me such memorable moments. Hasbro may be ending the show for certain reasons, but that doesn't mean all that happened in the past 6 to 10 is just going to go poof and be forgotten.

Life goes on, both for us, the fans. And for the characters, who despite their stories no longer being officially "told" by big animation and toy corporations, still have all kinds of possible futures waiting to happen to said characters. In fact so many fanfics of what the younger characters would be like when they get older were written. Some well written, some not so well written but still get readers to experience it, and who knows what else. With some imagination, the possibilities are practically limitless.

So instead of calling the Hasbro studio jerks, I would be thanking them for helping create a world that got my creative juices flowing again. Even if I don't officially complete my own fan fiction ideas and the show doesn't end the way I expected to, I shall always be grateful for seeing it in the first place.

In short, no mater how Equestria Girls or the main show ends, I will always be grateful for its existence.

• Brohoof 1

I'm kind of secretly happy it's also ending now. It didn't want EqG to outlast FiM.

• Brohoof 1

I know its sad that it was cancelled but, im not going to complain anymore. I and probably many others had a hunch that this was coming. but like i said in oen of my previous threads. you dont have to necessarily end your fascination of it just because it was cancelled. 

I think im going to consider leaving this communtiy just to steer clear of this new wave of drama and move onto something else that isnt dying.

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

@FlareGun45

I saw what you said about Hasbro "canceling" Equestria Girls. Honestly, the way you called them jerks like that sounds a bit uncalled for.

Like Jeric said, you should simmer down. Me personally, I knew Equestria Girls would have to end sometime but I wouldn't call the Studio jerks if I were you. As I always say, there will always be fans to make fanart and fan fiction of how the world of Equestria and Equestria Girls goes on, even after the show officially ends.

I'm grateful that the show existed at all and gave me such memorable moments. Hasbro may be ending the show for certain reasons, but that doesn't mean all that happened in the past 6 to 10 is just going to go poof and be forgotten.

Life goes on, both for us, the fans. And for the characters, who despite their stories no longer being officially "told" by big animation and toy corporations, still have all kinds of possible futures waiting to happen to said characters. In fact so many fanfics of what the younger characters would be like when they get older were written. Some well written, some not so well written but still get readers to experience it, and who knows what else. With some imagination, the possibilities are practically limitless.

So instead of calling the Hasbro studio jerks, I would be thanking them for helping create a world that got my creative juices flowing again. Even if I don't officially complete my own fan fiction ideas and the show doesn't end the way I expected to, I shall always be grateful for seeing it in the first place.

In short, no mater how Equestria Girls or the main show ends, I will always be grateful for its existence.

I saw what Jeric said, I agree! I don't need an entire essay explaining it! :P 

Edited by FlareGun45
  • Brohoof 1

Well, that's a huge letdown. I was hoping we'd get one final EQG special with the Humane 7 graduating from Canterlot High. :sunny:

On the somewhat funny side, Sunset Shimmer is stuck in high school forever! ^_^

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Will Guide said:

@FlareGun45

2098341.jpeg

please tell the folks at derpibooru what you said okay. they're nt handling it well:

https://derpibooru.org/pony/the-equestria-girls-general-thread/post/4456883#post_4456883

3 minutes ago, Newman1651 said:

2098341.jpeg

please tell the folks at derpibooru what you said okay. they're nt handling it well:

https://derpibooru.org/pony/the-equestria-girls-general-thread/post/4456883#post_4456883

Wow! First time in a while someone complimented my comment like that by providing me with a picture that sums up my entire thoughts in a single Sentence and picture. I'm a bit flattered. I just might tell them on depibooru...

Just now, Will Guide said:

Wow! First time in a while someone complimented my comment like that by providing me with a picture that sums up my entire thoughts in a single Sentence and picture. I'm a bit flattered. I just might tell them on depibooru...

also this:

2098835.jpeg

Seriously, some fans online either okingly or seriously want to commit suicide, now that EqG ha sbeen cancelled and FiM is ending (on august 9th online and in china) but ive experienced loss far greater than this and this shouldnt be such a big deal to people. they have a lfie ahead of them.

i am considering elaving just to escape this new storm of drama

The last couple of specials upset me enough that I didn’t even bother watching Sunset’s Backstage Pass, but it sucks that it can’t get a proper closure 

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

The last couple of specials upset me enough that I didn’t even bother watching Sunset’s Backstage Pass

Sunset's Backstage Pass is pretty good, IMO. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Sunset's Backstage Pass is pretty good, IMO. 

If SBP really is the last special, I consider it an excellent one to end with. Still until the actual final short or whatever was contracted to air has aired then I won't make such a big deal out of it.

Very unfortunate. Though this at least makes me more grateful that the MLP show will get a proper finale, it's saddening to see the story of EqG stuck in limbo now. I kind of just assumed that Boulder Media would pick it up, but with Boulder Media having nothing EqG-related planned, I guess I'll just be happy EqG came as far as it did. 

• Brohoof 3

Equestria Girls have been obliterated. There is nothing left apart from the echoing laughter of thirsting gods.

gravedance.gif.122e1e62f2986b5bfd53f35555e6161d.gif

Suffer not the lame horse ... nor the broken pen. This was an act of mercy. Now go forth with those poor wretches who remain and try to create something a little more substantial. Can magical girls even be cultivated behind a white fence? Well, that is a question that shall be answered soon enough. Ain't that right, Netflix?

• Brohoof 1

Well, I’m rather sad EG had to end like this. Not as much this special didn’t feel like a send off, it’s how sudden it was :sunny:. THERE WERE UNSEEN VECTORS FROM THE LEAKS :(

While I’ll admit that Spring Breakdown really killed most of my interest in the series, (still haven’t seen SBP) this is really disappointing to see. I wish the series had been given the send off DHX wanted to give it, instead of the end being sprung on them.

• Brohoof 1

Well, that is rather sad to hear. I was just about how things would end of last night, only to be greeted by this in the morning. On a more positive note, fan work will thrive, as things are much more ambiguous. While I still wish we could get a proper ending, there's not point in dwelling on it. 

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, I’m rather sad EG had to end like this. Not as much this special didn’t feel like a send off, it’s how sudden it was :sunny:. THERE WERE UNSEEN VECTORS FROM THE LEAKS :(

though you dont have to be sad about it. the spinoff merely tells the story about a part of the lives of the characters, not their entire lvies. And ive stopped complaining since there isnt any point in being distraught at a cartoon ending.

Wait, what, no proper ending for EQG? EQG maybe the less important franchise compare to FIM but it's deserved to have a proper send-off, a special about graduation or something. That's awful, I hate everytime the company/writers cant even finish their piece of fiction PROPERLY. That why I never believe the journey is more important than the destination.
All Hasbro want is just going to G5 and wrap up everything else (in case of EQG, I called 'scrap') as fast as possible. Let see how much luck FIM has compare to EQG. 

• Brohoof 1