Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls Cancellation Discussion Thread

CastletonSnob

3 hours ago, Photon Jet said:

Hmm...my instincts are telling me there's a slight possibility that Equestria Girls MAY not end on an abrupt note. Remember: Hasbro also acquired Boulder Media studios for cheaper animation. My theory is that Hasbro thought DHX Media has done its course so they're moving their plans over to Boulder Media for future projects. That's why it didn't give DHX Media any updates.

All we can do is wait to see what happens, expect the unexpected and prepare for what it not there.

latest?cb=20181113163153

I lack that optimism, I really think it’s over for EG. However, we still have about a year before G5 so I’ll at least concede you it holds some water. Then again, I’m not expecting Boulder Media to continue it either :sunny:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I lack that optimism, I really think it’s over for EG. However, we still have about a year before G5 so I’ll at least concede you it holds some water. Then again, I’m not expecting Boulder Media to continue it either :sunny:

The fact they said around the time Rainbow Roadtrip came out that they weren't yet commissioned makes me very strongly believe they won't. Sure, they also said they could in the future, but let's be real, given the fact production would take about a year, it wouldn't make sense to have a time gap this large. If Hasbro was looking to continue it under Boulder, they would have reached out to them months ago.

So I guess it's up to us fans to give it the conclusion it deserves.

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

The fact they said around the time Rainbow Roadtrip came out that they weren't yet commissioned makes me very strongly believe they won't. Sure, they also said they could in the future, but let's be real, given the fact production would take about a year, it wouldn't make sense to have a time gap this large. If Hasbro was looking to continue it under Boulder, they would have reached out to them months ago.

So I guess it's up to us fans to give it the conclusion it deserves.

Best chance for EG to keep going under Boulder Media, is getting DHX’s already made assets and rework them for Boulder. Then again, that’s a distant hope at best :sunny:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

While it is disappointing that Sunset's Backstage Pass is the last EQG special, I am happy to know that there will be at least a few more shorts released after the whole music festival arc is completed.

Actually now that I think about it, I got a funny idea.  What if the last set of shorts actually provided some sort of conclusion for the series.  Like it wouldn't be grand or epic, but there would be some sort of mini arc going through all of them, kinda like the whole school play thing, but instead would be dealing with like the end of the school year/graduation or something along those lines. 

Like I would find it a little funny despite being worried EQG wouldn't get a proper send off it turns out it actually did, just not in the way any of us would have expected.

But even if that is not the case, I am still happy to know that there will be at least a little bit more content released after Sunset's Backstage Pass for me to enjoy.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

i dont want to sound like a broken record, but i only liked it because of it's concept, not the characters's stories.

but yeah, EqG was always an afterthought to hasbro. This is the final symptom of that mindset.

(edited)

Well, that's a shame.  I've been like EG better than Pony these days. I didn't want it to go forever and get bad, but it seemed like it had a lot more life left than Pony.  I just wish we could have had a nice finale special or movie.  What about this "The Other Side" thing?  I thought that was a movie coming out in October of 2019.  Am I crazy?  Was it just a music video?  Thought is was movie #5.  It'd be nice if that was the end.  Backstage was good, but so anti-climactic for the last thing ever.

*EDIT* 

Disclaimer: I'm adding on to this post after it was reacted to, so the brohoofs only officially apply to the first part.

So, I did a little poking around, and apparently The Other Side really is the just that music video.  It sounds like the "Other Side" movie I heard about last year was in fact just Spring Breakdown.  I guess "The Other Side" was a temporary working title.  There are some "sneak peak" type videos posted last year of the "upcoming" "Other Side movie", but it's just Spring Breakdown.  Whatever.  Point is, there's no fifth movie.  What a drag.

I was really hoping for an epic fifth movie where all of the humans would meet their pony counterparts.  I don't care if the humans go to Equestria, or the ponies go to the human world, but I really wanted both entire casts to meet up, including the Sisters and Cadance.  I was really hoping for something grand where both casts have to team up to stop the biggest threat yet, and we have two of every single cast member working together.  I was really hoping for essentially Infinity War and Endgame in pony form.  I really thought that's what they were building towards.  Such a shame we won't get it.  :( 

For the whole life of this thing, I was always extremely adamant that EG should remain B-canon, and they should never mention it on FIM, but at this point, I'd actually be totally cool with the entire human cast coming to Equestria to help the ponies stop Grogar in the series finale.  Just imagine how badass it would be to have two Celestias and two Lunas charging the bad guys.  Of course, the humans wouldn't have any idea how to use magic, but I guess they could just kick 'em.  :laugh:

Edited by Justin_Case001
Did some research
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad there isn't going to be an actual ending for the series. I would have liked one last movie or special where the worlds destabilize, Reflections style, and the portals between the worlds need to be closed forever. It would be the moment where Sunset would need to choose to stay in the human world, or go back to Equestria. Great way to end a series, and an opportunity to show a lot of SunLight. But oh well, I guess fanfics will just have to make up for it.

4 hours ago, KatonRyu said:

Too bad there isn't going to be an actual ending for the series. I would have liked one last movie or special where the worlds destabilize, Reflections style, and the portals between the worlds need to be closed forever. It would be the moment where Sunset would need to choose to stay in the human world, or go back to Equestria. Great way to end a series, and an opportunity to show a lot of SunLight. But oh well, I guess fanfics will just have to make up for it.

and fanart exploring the world outside of just that city. i have some.

Didnt big jim bring up that point in his letter to the fans after production on FiM wrapped up? anything that DHX didnt explore or expand upon will be left up to us fans and creative types to explore and expand upon.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 12:49 AM, TheRockARooster said:

This is gonna be a really unpopular thing for me to say but........ I like EQG more than FIM.

That's cool. 

I love both worlds and enjoy spending time with their inhabitants.

On 8/7/2019 at 7:15 PM, Newman1651 said:

anything that DHX didnt explore or expand upon will be left up to us fans and creative types to explore and expand upon.

That's generally what I've been saying for years about unanswered questions.

On 8/25/2019 at 1:35 PM, Photon Jet said:

If Equestria Girls is cancelled due to Sunset's Baskstage Pass being the final special, then how come there is news of a new Equestria Girls holiday special coming soon?

Well, it’s kinda dubious as we have conflicting information 

pro:

-foreign networks submitting airdates for projects yet to be officially announced in the US is nothing new

-it’s possible for another team to pick up EG

-There’s still over a year before G5 premieres, so there has to be something filling the gap next year. If it’s not FIM, EG could 

-shorts are still coming

cons:

-we have official word Backstage special was the last, while we lack of upcoming ones

-in contrast of the second pro point, there’s no official word of such thing happening yet

On 8/25/2019 at 10:35 AM, Photon Jet said:

If Equestria Girls is cancelled due to Sunset's Baskstage Pass being the final special, then how come there is news of a new Equestria Girls holiday special coming soon?

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/08/polish-tv-site-lists-my-little-pony.html

Until we have an official confirmation from Hasbro--it can only be them at this point since the show staff have finished all work on MLP and EQG--it's best to take this information with a grain of salt. I'd like for it to be true but I also know to not have high expectations with stuff like this.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 5:14 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

Until we have an official confirmation from Hasbro--it can only be them at this point since the show staff have finished all work on MLP and EQG--it's best to take this information with a grain of salt. I'd like for it to be true but I also know to not have high expectations with stuff like this.

Well, turns out that was a series of shorts put together. Nice and all, but too bad that’s likely the end of EG :sunny:

42 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, turns out that was a series of shorts put together. Nice and all, but too bad that’s likely the end of EG :sunny:

It's better than not getting anything else after 'Sunset's Backstage Pass'.

34 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

It's better than not getting anything else after 'Sunset's Backstage Pass'.

I’d like some closure, like graduation, Sunny deciding to stay human, whatever :sunny:

• 1 month later...

I'd like to think they COULD'VE made good on that crack in the Canterlot statue that's leaking magic from the end of Legend of Everfree, since that thing's been the source of most of the plots in these specials. But nooooo, they had to drag their feet.

Edited by MovieLord101