Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls Cancellation Discussion Thread

CastletonSnob

(edited)

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

There's always fan fiction and RP. It just means there's room for fan work and derivative RP with no upcoming canon to break accidentally

Am I sad that there's no proper send-off like FiM is getting? Sure

Am I going to be up in arms about it? Nope

MLP is not just going to die when anything MLP canon ends.

Look at the Teen Titans cartoon from 2006 in the face of Teen Titans Go or much much older properties, still a loyal fan base making fan content and RP

Will EG be missed? Sure

Forgotten? Nope, neither will FiM

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, Lambdadelta said:

Wait, what, no proper ending for EQG? EQG maybe the less important franchise compare to FIM but it's deserved to have a proper send-off, a special about graduation or something. That's awful, I hate everytime the company/writers cant even finish their piece of fiction PROPERLY. That why I never believe the journey is more important than the destination.
All Hasbro want is just going to G5 and wrap up everything else (in case of EQG, I called 'scrap') as fast as possible. Let see how much luck FIM has compare to EQG. 

It's a tradition for Hasbro to create different generations of their Ips every decade. 

Though i feel this is going to be what will happen to the EqG fandom in response tot he cancellation as well as the entire Brony/MLP fandom following the end of the main show:

1 hour ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

There's always fan fiction and RP. It just means there's room for fan work and derivative RP with no upcoming canon to break accidentally

Am I sad that there's no proper send-off like FiM is getting? Sure

Am I going to be up in arms about it? Nope

MLP is not just going to die when anything MLP canon ends.

Look at the Teen Titans cartoon from 2006 in the face of Teen Titans Go or much much older properties, still a loyal fan base making fan content and RP

Will EG be missed? Sure

Forgotten? Nope, neither will FiM

Or G1 and G2 (fuck G3) of the franchise. The internet immortalizes a lot of things, and thank the internet that you can always download and rewatch the series and EqG. It may be fun while it lasted, but you can always come back and revisit it.

its just that i hate it when people want to commit suicide over a cartoon ending (trust me, i did see someone say that they were gonna kill themselves over EqG's cancellation).

Edited by Newman1651

So I just join like 5 mins ago after finally seeing the Sunset Backstage pass special and if you ask me i think it was a great way to send off the EQG special. However i Hope that some brilliant animator Will create a like some sort of animation to go along with it or some new type of continuation on a YouTube channel or heck even like a fan fiction story. All i can say is that since i been watching Mlp and EQG since 2015. (I know you may not believe me but i have because my 2nd oldest brother was brony and EQG was the first mlp thing i say and i like to also say i was 12 at the time so it would make since) And after about Late 2018 i fell out of the mlp fandom but not the EQG Fandom. So as EQG is ending it break my heart but i know that all good things have to come to end. I Did Prefer EQG over the regular mlp but that was because i felt like it was better and had more care and time put in it. So instead of saying stuff on how it should be brought back or stuff i think we should get some nice cold ones and have like a life stream and rewatch all the movies and speail in one day on like twitch or something. I Be willing to do before August 16th so if you want me too respond. Anyways i like to say thank you to also The Amazing People at DHX and Hasbro for creating part of my childhood and making me feel like it dose not matter what happens to the series what matter is that it was brought to us and fill us with joy

-Equestrianfan
12:01 AM EST
7/12/2019 

equestria_girls_hugging_together_by_gouh

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Newman1651 said:

It's a tradition for Hasbro to create different generations of their Ips every decade. 

Though i feel this is going to be what will happen to the EqG fandom in response tot he cancellation as well as the entire Brony/MLP fandom following the end of the main show:

Hasbro doesn't have to to make G4 episodes forever, but at least they must wrap thing up nicely before moving to the next.

Their frustrations should be sympathized. The main show will have an ending, whether you like it or not is up to the debate. EQG will not have a proper ending, and it's certainly not OK, and i'm not even big fan of EQG nowadays. 

(edited)
Just now, Lambdadelta said:

Hasbro doesn't have to to make G4 episodes forever, but at least they must wrap thing up nicely before moving to the next.

Their frustrations should be sympathized. The main show will have an ending, whether you like it or not is up to the debate. EQG will not have a proper ending, and it's certainly not OK, and i'm not even big fan of EQG nowadays. 

i only liked it for it's take on the concept of a separate human and pony world which had existed as far back as G1.

As for me, I'm going to lessen my involvement with the community and go back to fandoms that are still active. The gaming fandoms.

8 minutes ago, Equestrianfan said:

So I just join like 5 mins ago after finally seeing the Sunset Backstage pass special and if you ask me i think it was a great way to send off the EQG special. However i Hope that some brilliant animator Will create a like some sort of animation to go along with it or some new type of continuation on a YouTube channel or heck even like a fan fiction story. All i can say is that since i been watching Mlp and EQG since 2015. (I know you may not believe me but i have because my 2nd oldest brother was brony and EQG was the first mlp thing i say and i like to also say i was 12 at the time so it would make since) And after about Late 2018 i fell out of the mlp fandom but not the EQG Fandom. So as EQG is ending it break my heart but i know that all good things have to come to end. I Did Prefer EQG over the regular mlp but that was because i felt like it was better and had more care and time put in it. So instead of saying stuff on how it should be brought back or stuff i think we should get some nice cold ones and have like a life stream and rewatch all the movies and speail in one day on like twitch or something. I Be willing to do before August 16th so if you want me too respond. Anyways i like to say thank you to also The Amazing People at DHX and Hasbro for creating part of my childhood and making me feel like it dose not matter what happens to the series what matter is that it was brought to us and fill us with joy

-Equestrianfan
12:01 AM EST
7/12/2019 

equestria_girls_hugging_together_by_gouh

Big Jim did say in his farewell letter that whatever loose ends or other things the show didnt tie up or explore into during it's run will be left up to the imaginations of the fans.

I think this should now be true for EqG as it has been abruptly cancelled and now everything is left open for interpretation and up to the imagination of the fans. and besides, life goes on, both for us, and the characters in-universe. The spinoff merely told the story of a certain phase in their life.

I and several others already saw it coming, I've pretty much stopped complaining at this point because In the end, "It's just a cartoon" not a way of life. I had no emotional connection or investment with the characters whatsoever, I liked it only because of its own take on the concept of separate human and pony worlds which existed as far back as G1. I mean i only wished for it to continue out of absolute fear of the community evaporating once it did and me and a few others being left totally alone.

I only wish Hasbro can attempt this kind of thing again and not make it an afterthought. bring back G1's concept of separate pony and human worlds like with what EqG.

Edited by Newman1651
  • Brohoof 2

Y'know, I am somewhat disappointed by this in a number of ways, most of it boiling down to it not getting a proper ending. I did kind of halfway expected this to be the case, but it's one of those instances where I just didn't want to be right. Ever since the digital series began, I've held out hope that one day the crew will be able to fully unleash its potential and prove how fantastic EqG can be when firing on all cylinders. That's probably what gets me the most; it never got the break it deserved. It basically went from one TV movie a year to mostly 2-minute shorts, which is nowhere near enough time to pull off any substance. That, along with the obvious corporate mandating (significantly tighter than FiM's) did nothing but harm IMO.

But oddly, this is actually kind of empowering me in a way. Some of you may know that I've had my own ideas for an EqG finale for a while now, so much so that I'm writing it as a fanfic. And this news is motivating me more than ever to finish it. Because if the crew can't give EqG the ending it deserves, then I will. I know it doesn't quite leave the same impact since it doesn't reach quite as many eyes, nor will I be the only one to do this, but I don't care; as long as my ideas (which I partially got from @cmarston1, thanks very much for giving me the initial push) get out there, that's what matters to me. I really can't wait to share it to anyone who's interested.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Newman1651 said:

Big Jim did say in his farewell letter that whatever loose ends or other things the show didnt tie up or explore into during it's run will be left up to the imaginations of the fans.

What farewell letter would that be? And the loose ends being left up to the imagination of the fans is precisely what I have in mind.

Not gonna lie I dont even much care for Equestria Girls due to not liking the art. But this freaking ticks me off. People that cancel shows of any fan base size over 100 without a proper send off deserve every set back and inconvenience life can drop on them. May their coffees always spill, they always hit a red light, and their cell phones die just when that important call comes in. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

What farewell letter would that be? And the loose ends being left up to the imagination of the fans is precisely what I have in mind.

And I'm glad I and a few other fans are doing just that, writing our own ends to the story.

In fact, I think everyone who has ideas like this should be encouraged to share them.

Edited by Toon4Thought

I suppose this was inevitable. EQG was always the "lesser" G4 series for most people anyway so it makes sense that Hasbro would end it before the end of the year. I just wish it could have gotten a proper send-off in the form of one more movie. It annoys me when any series just abruptly ends like this after years of years of hard work on the part of many people. But the best thing to do is to move on.

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I wonder if they'll end Equestria Girls in the comics, somehow. :ooh:

I know this is somewhat off-topic but... I wonder when the comics are ending. Perhaps if they aren't abruptly canceled, they can provide some closure. And I wonder if Hasbro will allow IDW to continue publishing after the end of Season 9 or if everything will come to a halt. 

• Brohoof 2

Those who followed me since 2013 know that I'm not a fan of EQG. I hated its development, the first and third movies (disliked the second, okay with the fourth), the villains, worldbuilding, and storytelling. When my intense dislike subsided, I was just apathetic and preferred to watch FIM only. But no matter how much one may dislike EQG, it's undoubtedly important to the growth of FIM, and there are many EQG bronies in the brony fandom. Its cancellation is like the sudden deflation of a balloon; when the air leaves, it becomes more somber. Regardless of its execution, FIM will have a proper ending. Realizing EQG won't is completely disappointing. :( It deserves a chance to have a proper conclusion to the story.

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

I suppose this was inevitable. EQG was always the "lesser" G4 series for most people anyway so it makes sense that Hasbro would end it before the end of the year. I just wish it could have gotten a proper send-off in the form of one more movie. It annoys me when any series just abruptly ends like this after years of years of hard work on the part of many people. But the best thing to do is to move on.

I know this is somewhat off-topic but... I wonder when the comics are ending. Perhaps if they aren't abruptly canceled, they can provide some closure. And I wonder if Hasbro will allow IDW to continue publishing after the end of Season 9 or if everything will come to a halt.  

I feel like if the comics were ending along with Season 9 we'd have a bit of forewarning about it by now, considering the ending of Season 9 is only a few months away, and they still seem to be going strong and even doing some new mini-series as well. It's entirely possible Hasbro might plan on letting the comics continue for now. Especially since there is no G5 next year, so having at least something to bridge the gap might be good.

Heck, who knows, maybe the G4 comics will continue on even into G5, at least for a bit?

• Brohoof 1

With the truly gigantic franchise that is MLP:FIM in it's entirety, I really don't see what the problem is in ending after NINE years, with  221 main series episodes, three spin off movies, a spin off series, specials, and a theatrical film. The majority of American and Japanese series end after just TWO, with a total of around 52 episodes. and that's it..

l, Myself, instead agonizing, and demanding them to  "Make more!"

I happily say

"Wow, we were blessed! What a huge body of work! Thank you!"

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
44 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

With the truly gigantic franchise that is MLP:FIM in it's entirety, I really don't see what the problem is in ending after NINE years, with  221 main series episodes, three spin off movies, a spin off series, specials, and a theatrical film. The majority of American and Japanese series end after just TWO, with a total of around 52 episodes. and that's it..

l, Myself, instead agonizing, and demanding them to  "Make more!"

I happily say

"Wow, we were blessed! What a huge body of work! Thank you!"

they need a break after almost a decade

1 hour ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Those who followed me since 2013 know that I'm not a fan of EQG. I hated its development, the first and third movies (disliked the second, okay with the fourth), the villains, worldbuilding, and storytelling. When my intense dislike subsided, I was just apathetic and preferred to watch FIM only. But no matter how much one may dislike EQG, it's undoubtedly important to the growth of FIM, and there are many EQG bronies in the brony fandom. Its cancellation is like the sudden deflation of a balloon; when the air leaves, it becomes more somber. Regardless of its execution, FIM will have a proper ending. Realizing EQG won't is completely disappointing. :( It deserves a chance to have a proper conclusion to the story.

now to brace for theimpending collapse of the EqG half of this fandom

1 hour ago, Prospekt said:

seems like the case now? cancel instead of letting it end on it's own terms

2 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

And I'm glad I and a few other fans are doing just that, writing our own ends to the story.

In fact, I think everyone who has ideas like this should be encouraged to share them.

i tend to go in the opposite direction in the human world's history. going fo the past than the future

2 hours ago, Will Guide said:

this was in his letter me posted tot he fans after DHX fimished the last episodes a while back. it was on his twitter:

https://www.fimfiction.net/group/50/the-writers-group/thread/406197/big-jims-goodbye

Edited by Newman1651

I really didn't want it to happen in the first place, even now I still think that cancelation of EG is some kind of sick joke. I don't suppose Hasbro wants to sink every single G4 spin off before they roll out their new hot cakes in 2020?

(edited)

It's sad to find out this news and I genuinely enjoyed some of EQG contents, but I think it's fair to say that they already had 6 years and had a whole lot of shorts, specials.

If they are being cancelled because of the series decline of popularity and sales, I think it's fair. Honestly, I was not always satisfied with their products. They had their time. They could have been cancelled right after the first movie. I was expecting EQG's end since the announcement of FIM's end. I don't expect nor want G5 EQG. I just accept that this was it.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hmm...my instincts are telling me there's a slight possibility that Equestria Girls MAY not end on an abrupt note. Remember: Hasbro also acquired Boulder Media studios for cheaper animation. My theory is that Hasbro thought DHX Media has done its course so they're moving their plans over to Boulder Media for future projects. That's why it didn't give DHX Media any updates.

All we can do is wait to see what happens, expect the unexpected and prepare for what it not there.

latest?cb=20181113163153

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Photon Jet said:

Hmm...my instincts are telling me there's a slight possibility that Equestria Girls MAY not end on an abrupt note. Remember: Hasbro also acquired Boulder Media studios for cheaper animation. My theory is that Hasbro thought DHX Media has done its course so they're moving their plans over to Boulder Media for future projects. That's why it didn't give DHX Media any updates.

All we can do is wait to see what happens, expect the unexpected and prepare for what it not there.

latest?cb=20181113163153

no, its not going to happen. it's really over. i cant believe that there are still people so optimistic tot he point of total delusion.

• Brohoof 1

53 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

I wonder if there will still be a fandom.

Don't be silly. Of course there WILL still be a fandom. As long as people continue to watch/play/listen to/ etc something, a fandom for it shall always exist, even years after the show's official end. Gravity Falls ended in 2016, Phineas and Ferb ended in 2015, Avatar the Last Airbender show ended in 2008 and so many others and even then people are still watching and discussing them in some form or another, even when some of the shows are inevitably taken off the air for new shows.

Let's be grateful that both FiM and EQG gave us all something to remember

To quote a line from my favorite Legend of Zelda game of all time: Whenever there is a meeting, a parting shall follow. But that parting needs not last forever. Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short while... that is up to you.

• Brohoof 2