Has Being a Brony Changed Your Life? How?

jacibobsthebrony

203 users have voted

1. 1. Has becoming a Brony changed your life?

• Yes
    • No

As I've always been rather depressed and down (regardless of whether or not I show it), I've always had some issues with myself and would overthink/worry about every little thing.  Always felt rather alone, and would always be too frightened to open up and talk with anyone.  Used to go to a counselor and stopped going within a month or so.  Things have happened and been crumbling down slowly but surely more and more which boosted my depression.  Lost all sense of motivation, etc etc. 

After watching this show more, I feel I've become an overall happier person.  Legitimately so! Not just because I'm afraid of what everyone thinks but because I really do feel that fuzzy feeling of joy.  It's made me more motivated to do things, and allows me for even just a few minutes, forget about everything that's ever been bothering me and lets me feel more at peace with myself and my surroundings.  Being more optimistic and healthy is how it's changed me, for the most part.  The other Bronies also helped me much, keeping me on my feet as it's so difficult to stay so depressed and down when around a lot of them.  A good amount of them are just so accepting and welcoming of anything.  This helps me cope with a lot as I feel I could be as honest as I want and ultimately not be judged for it.

It's pretty silly sounding... something a counselor failed to give me that a show could but that's just how it is, I suppose. ^^

• Brohoof 2

Did I already reply to the topic? Well, I'm replying anyway. 

Being a brony has definitely changed me. I had a better reputation. It's hard for me to put my finger on it, but it has changed the way I think of my friends. Being a brony changed the way i lived in a way. Sorry if I'm being pretty vague, but it's really vague for me too :D. I know MLP has changed me, and look at me now. I hope you caught most of that.

I suppose the show made me quite a bit happier. You really need something like that in this day and age where most of the news that you receive in your RSS feeds are doom and gloom. It also encouraged me to join in the fanbase rather than lurk and actually contribute. The only other forum account I'm active on has a grand total of 40 posts over a span of 3-4 years.

Another change is that I am a lot more receptive of other ideas. I considered myself pretty tolerant before, but sometimes you really don't know what you're missing until you try it for yourself. The idea of a bunch of grown men watching a show intended for children struck me as a little odd at first, but I remained neutral about it. I discredited both the haters and bronies and considered them pretty much equally insane. The first episode changed that opinion pretty quickly as I realized my error in making a judgement at all.

All in all, I have become  a lot more tolerant, of.........99.99% of everyone. I am proud to be a part of this culture and am happy to take part in anything regarding being a brony.

I guess you could say MLP has given me a kind of hope. Even if my day absolutely sucks and my friends are dickwads I know I can go home and hang out with the amazing people on mlpforums, equestriadaily, etc.

MLP made me sooooo much happier about life... HE LIED!!! I mean, it taught me a lot about friendship, but I still have next to no friends. It doesn't help that I switched schools a few months. I mainly got into MLP because of one guy there. But now I just hate the whole planet, because Equestria is so much better in comparison.  :(

Wait a minute. I think this is the first time I've ever discussed my feelings, ever.  :blink:

I wouldn't have guessed it would have such a profound effect on me. Normally things wouldn't have such a great impact on me. I have become a happier person and thinking more positively than I used to. I seem to have random moments when I think back to scenes of My Little Pony which had moved me, and I suddenly get the feeling that I'm on the verge of crying - not from sadness, but of happiness. It's just given me so much colour to the dull, grey world we all share. I hope someday we'll all finally just come together and stop hating each other. Seriously, this was something I kept on thinking about even before I discovered My Little Pony... I discovered My Little Pony two to three months ago. Just think of that... To think I was pretty damn depressed with my life beforehand.

I seriously don't care about whoever mocks me for liking the show. There's seriously magic in this show (not literally) that no other show has. It just connected to me so perfectly and I'm still confused as to why I like the show and why the creators were able to make it so successful.

Edited by TooTsaka
  • Brohoof 1

Many different ways. Being someone who is constantly dealing with anxiety and social problems, as well as self esteem issues and depression, this show makes me feel happier. It makes me feel part of an actual community that I can get along with, which is huge for me. It has also motivated me to get better at photo editing and making music. 

Seriously, there is something (As cliché as this sounds...) magical about this show. It gives me a feeling of happiness that I rarely obtain anymore and it makes the world seem so much brighter. 

I know that it seems weird that it takes a cartoon to make me feel that way, but I just have a lot of battles with myself in my life. Being a brony cannot fix the problems that I have, but it has helped me accept those problems. For that, I am very grateful.  :(

• Brohoof 1

I truly think that MLP has changed me for the better. I value my friendships so much more and I'm more outgoing. I have become happier. I didn't even know how sad I actually was before until I started feeling this amazing feeling inside me every time I watched the show or talked to one of my friends about it. It made me remember what being truly happy was. I now cherish all the happy moments in my life. This show has helped me so much.

Just to clarify my position here, I love MLP very much. FiM is my favorite show ever. And I say it's sucking all the life out of me, for the lack of something better to say. It's making me feel even worse than I already did, yet I can't get it out of my life.  :(

EDIT: I think I'm the first one in this thread to post a negative change.  :blink:

Edited by nerfman100

It's really changed my attitude upon life. I'm alot nicer in person and I'm not a common rabbling pony anymore. I'm just and enjoyable colt. My mental state is intact, as many antibronies think that MLP changes you and make you 'insane' but I'm fine.

It changed me quite a bit :) Like for example I'm not too shy anymore because I was afraid to say anything to anyone. Also the show kinda made me look positively on life :) So yea, clearly MLP will change your life :)

• Brohoof 2

Becoming a brony has taught me how to have more confidence in myself, to put it mildly. For various reasons I've spent most of my life angry and never even had many opportunities to socialize with anybody, therefore I've always been terrible at it. The brony fanbase is the first group of people that has ever been welcoming to me and bronies are the first people who ever showed me any kindness or concern without any strings attached. Bronydom, if you would call it that, has not only taught me to be more trusting and how to interact with people, but it's given me my first real opportunities to do so. I've gone from being a complete introvert filled with self-loathing and loathing for others to liking myself, appreciating others, and enjoying social situations more than solitude. There are times when I still have no clue what to say or do, but I'm happy to stand by and just absorb what's going on.

Improvements made to most people's lives generally have more to do with the fandom than the show alone, to everyone questioning why this is such a big deal. For someone as bitter, angry, reclusive, and cynical as I was to walk alone into a convention of 4000+ strangers and feel more at home than anywhere he had ever been says a lot. The only man I've ever considered to be a friend and who knows me better than anyone remains astonished beyond description at the changes that have overcome me since then.

Honestly, before I was a pegasister I was more off like a quiet lonely bomb until someone tried to become friends with me I would ignore them, until they just started doing dumb things to brake through my shell. I was also really judge mental, I thought that ponies were really stupid.

One day I just got really bored and decided to give it a shot, starting with an episode that partially scarred me, The baby Cakes episode. I started watching the rest and then learned what it really meant dont judge a book by its cover. After that my friends could finally get me to laugh at least a little, my life is actually a lot happier now. I know to just laugh at the people who try to mess with me, I also used to hate a girl who followed me and my friend around but I couldn't picture life without her.

Pretty much I'm cranky doodle donkey, friendship and laughter are my long lost love, and mlp is pinkie pie.

• Brohoof 2

The show has made me more outgoing, active, happier, and a better friend. I've also learned that society stereotypes us to keep us "locked" away in "borders" they like to set up for us, and when someone crosses that border, all controversy breaks loose. I've learned that it is good to break away from society if the cause is worthy, and without a doubt, this is a worthy cause.

I've become more agressive, and have decided to kill more people. Pinkamena is a hero of mine, I admire her baking skills; especially her cupcakes. But yeah, a brony has made me become more violent, and made me hate homosexuals even more.

It's made me relate to my daughter (2 years old) better because we both get uber excited when new merch comes out lol. And we watch FIM together  :)  This bond will grow and grow as she gets older.

I think its encouraged me to be a little more social, as well as changing the way I look at things for the better. I think it has helped me become more accepting of people I disagree with, and more forgiving of error as well :)

• Brohoof 1

I have to thank My Little Pony and it's wonderful fandom filled with wonderful people for a lot of things.

First of all, my social skills have improved rather nicely, and I'm opening up more to my friends and family. I've become more sensitive, yet more ignorant of hate and insults. My parents think my bronydom is "weird" but I don't mind, and nor do they, really. Being a brony also greatly improved my writing, grammar, and art skills, and now I proudly own a Tumblr with 84 followers whom I all love. I've made so many friends in this fandom, and it has really changed my emotional state. I'm really positive on most things now, thinking about the bright side of everything. I really have to thank this fandom so much.

Being a brony has changed me a lot, and it's a change for good. Thank you, everypony <3

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there everypony, I know I don't post many topics and I'm sorry. I've been having post block lately, but I finally found one to talk about!

We all have stories to tell, so I wanted to hear one from everypony. How has My little pony: Friendship is magic effected your life?

I know when I enjoyed the first gen I used to be very confident in myself until about my teen years in school then everything went down hill. I didn't want to trust anyone, I tried to keep to myself and not bother anyone. Until of course I watched MLP on the hub when it first aired. It really made me feel like I can give the world a chance again. I discovered the fandom shortly afterwards... Which made it clear to me that my life wasn't going to be so dull... I enjoyed everyponies music, art, characters, stories, videos. 

The best part about it was that I was actually making friends for the first time in years. I may not have very many, but quality over quantity right? So everypony, What changed for you?

^ 3^/)

• Brohoof 2

First and foremost it has helped me with coping with depression.

I've become more artistic and outgoing since discovering the brony community, I've taken up drawing despite being rather bad at it XD

I also seem to have more confidence than before, something about being part of a larger community that accepts everyone for who they are has inspired me to be more comfortable with who i am, i no longer leave the house wearing a facade, i even went browsing for pony toys in Toys R Us the other day, although they don't have any decent ones, i got strange looks when taking this picture of the entrance:

post-7214-0-87841200-1358177458_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 9