Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Stupid things you assumed as a kid?

Tyger

I used to think that having your face in any social media like the internet or the newspaper made you famous.

I used to think that giving your Pokemon too much rare candies killed them.

I also used to think that girls coming up an socializing with me met they had a crush on me.

And finally, that $100 was actually easy to have for a regular kid and that stuff at that price met it was cheap.

haha, funny this thread come up.. 

made me smile at my silliness XD

i used to think that a husband is a man married to a woman because his HOUSE BURNT. 

hahaha. 

• Brohoof 1

Depending on what we're talking about when we consider "filly" there are many things, some more obvious then others.

- I use to think men and women where the same biologically(Never got why my mom sat in the bathroom on the toilet all the time when i was young ;p.)

- I use to think babies just magically came after a man and women slept together, i wasn't aware of the exact process but yeah ;p. 

- I didn't realize that animals and humans have the same parts. So even though i knew the different male and female parts of dogs due to my dad being a veterinarian and telling me how to tell them apart, i didn't connect that to humans for quite a while.

- I thought ghosts where real

- I thought pokerus in pokemon would kill my pokemon, although i learned that it didn't quickly enough but still ;p.

- I thought all of texas was a desert.

- Santa, although i suspected it before my parents told me.

- tooth fairy, this one i found out pretty easy. 

- That having a trophy for being "potty trained" would have some bragging value of any form... Maybe i just liked shiny things, not really that stupid i guess in a way, i mean it worked obviously, but.. idk xD.

- Its entirely possible spongebob convinced me jelly came from jelly fish ;p.

- There was no limit to the money my parents had.(learned that pretty soon wasn't true but still.)

- i use to think the way birds flew just had to do with having wings, not the fact their body mass is much lower or anything.(To be fair not all that stupid i guess ;p)

- I thought the moon and sun followed us around ;p.

- Oh there was this song with some curse words in it that i didn't understand the lyrics to that i liked xD. Only when i grew up did i realize how bad it was.

- I thought MLP was for girls just(I guess at the time it wasn't as good, but still ;p.)

And probaly more that i've long forgotten or have incorrect memories of ;p.

I was really stupid as a child to be honest, and i still kinda am ;p.

I used to believe I could run fast enough to pass clean through solid objects.

One broken nose later and I'm still here, only now with slightly more brain damage.

• Brohoof 4

"Filly" as in "a kid".

When my dad came home from his business trip across the country, the plane lands in front of our house and drops him off. biggrin.png

Up until 2-3 years ago i thought their was a Ebay store.

I've seen places kinda like that, so i stand behind my idiocy.  I've see the buildings lol

I used to think you couldn't do anything with the root of a negative number. Boy has college proven me wrong! Hah! img-1894325-1-happy.png

That the Tooth Fairy existed and gave me a toonie every time I lost a tooth

That you caught a cold by physically being cold... my parents still think this... -.-;

That bees were vicious jerks that wanted to hurt you for no reason (those are wasps and hornets...)

That people reached some form of sudden enlightenment when they reach adulthood (spoilers: they don't.)

That the "black market" was a single location

Obligatory: Thought ponies were girly.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 3

The two I remember best right now are that I thought flushing the toilet more than once would cause it to overflow, and I thought drinking more than one cup of coffee a day would kill you. Concerning the latter, I wish I had been proven wrong by this dude rather than have learned naturally.

godot.gif

• Brohoof 1

I didn't know where babies came from until I turned 14. I thought you just had to get married and somehow they appeared.

My cousin told me that dolls would steal your soul in the night when I was young.

I still believe that ;—;

I used to believe that we were actually dreaming this whole time, like we're only running a life simulation. 

And there was this one time where my grandmother told me that if I swallow a orange seed, it will grow up through my cranium. I was like, "Yeah right..."

And the believe of time travelling is possible some time in the future.

When I was in Grade 4 I thought ''committing suicide'' meant grabbing a knife and hitting someone in the chest. (gee, that was violent) I also got this other one where on a globe or some sort of map, I thought the big countries on it were small and the little countries were big. 

Edited by ~Glimmer Lily~

- I somehow thought that wind was a product of the motion from the Earth moving (as in the Earth was spinning that fast? I don't know. Still don't know how wind is really created to be honest. xD)

- I thought that "Whoa" was pronounced like "Hola", with the H being pronounced. I can't believe it took so long for my mom and sister to correct me on that. >.<

- I once was naive enough to believe (and I have no idea how in the world this worked) that racism, sexism, and homophobia were 'distant' problems and that everybody I became friends with wouldn't have any of these traits. I think it came from the fact that as kids we didn't talk about these kinds of things.

- At one point I thought that being Christian was something that was rare. I know this because I remember I asked a kid at school what their religion was and they said they were a Christian, and it surprised me because I thought that meant that we were the same. xD (Note: This is not related to the persecuted "minority" falsehood that many of the religious right hold these days, it was just childhood ignorance for me. Actually it was more that I thought that being a Christian was one of many popular religious options of the area, which isn't really true of North America, especially not the area where I live, where Christianity is so pervasive).

- Of course, I have to add this one... I used to think that there was a God. The thing is, though, I don't know if I really ever believed for myself. The belief I had was that my parents and the others at church had access to some knowledge of a God that I didn't, and I trusted that they must be leading me in the right direction, with that knowledge that I might find someday. When I came to the internet and discovered that there were people who did not believe in God, it was a rather quick change for me to realize that I really don't believe myself.

I used to believe kissing led to pregnancy.

I used to believe if you split a globe in half, the Earth would also split.

I used to believe parents virtually had unlimited funds.

I used to consider one hour to be a very long time.

I may have once believed that vital computer components were also stored in the monitor. I think this was due to the fact that the computer I had access to at the time was the iMac G3. After the switch to Windows, I continued to think the monitor played an important role of running the computer besides being a display.

Edited by 115Predator
  • Brohoof 1

I used to believe that mainstream stuff was stupid and boring and that Atheists were mindless retards that didn't have a life and that you should hate everyone who doesn't believe what you do. 

Being raised a Catholic really isn't good for anybody.

I used to think you couldn't do anything with the root of a negative number. Boy has college proven me wrong! Hah! img-1894325-1-happy.png

That the Tooth Fairy existed and gave me a toonie every time I lost a tooth

That you caught a cold by physically being cold... my parents still think this... -.-;

That bees were vicious jerks that wanted to hurt you for no reason (those are wasps and hornets...)

That there was some kind of great mental shift that happens when you reach adulthood (spoilers: there isn't.)

That the "black market" was a single location

Obligatory: Thought ponies were girly.

I learned about the not getting a cold from being physically cold thing quite recently... My parents told me the same.

Oh misconceptions...

I still don't like bees a lot, but the fact they're less aggresive feeling compared to wasps and hornets makes me feel slightly more comfortable.

Plus they make honey, and are becoming endangered.

I feel like my mind shifts alot becoming a teen, but not sure if i thought that as a child or not.

And of course on the obligatory 

• Brohoof 1

I learned about the not getting a cold from being physically cold thing quite recently... My parents told me the same.

Oh misconceptions...

I still don't like bees a lot, but the fact they're less aggresive feeling compared to wasps and hornets makes me feel slightly more comfortable.

Plus they make honey, and are becoming endangered.

I feel like my mind shifts alot becoming a teen, but not sure if i thought that as a child or not.

And of course on the obligatory 

Well, yes. But what I mean is that there isn't a "great mental shift." I mean yeah, there is a level of maturity raised gradually over time, but there wasn't a single point becoming an adult where you suddenly reach a form of enlightenment.

Also yeah, I still have a small fear of bees, but I was nowhere near as bad as I was a few summers ago. All my bad experiences with being stung at work were wasps. Bees are pretty passive if you don't try to swat them.

• Brohoof 1

Well, yes. But what I mean is that there isn't a "great mental shift." I mean yeah, there is a level of maturity raised gradually over time, but there wasn't a single point becoming an adult where you suddenly reach a form of enlightenment.

Also yeah, I still have a small fear of bees, but I was nowhere near as bad as I was a few summers ago. All my bad experiences with being stung at work were wasps. Bees are pretty passive if you don't try to swat them.

Oh, yeah thats true. I didn't wake up suddenly smarter.. ;p. 

I have a fear to a pretty good extent actually. I mean i've never been stung by one, so its more of a fear of the unknown i guess. Regardless i don't want to be stung by them.

Hopefully if i am stung i don't find out i'm alergic or something, that would be quite bad. 

but yeah, bee's are alot more passive then wasps.

• Brohoof 1

I used to think computers would never reach 100MHz (this would've been when 33MHz was de rigueur -- my dad had the forsight to laugh at me for that one!)

I used to think there was another person in my head who would talk to me (now I know there are actually several!)

I used to think girls weren't weird (now I know they're just as weird as guys!)

I ALWAYS used to think my parents were dead or had abandoned me if I didn't know exactly where they were. Yeah, no issues here!

I used to think being a badass was cool.

I could go on but I'd be at it all night.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, this is another "Where babies come from" misconception.

I thought that when the Bride and the Groom kissed during a wedding, the exchanged saliva, and that made them have a baby.

By extension of this, I always gave my friends the weirdest looks if their parents ever kissed them on the lips.

• Brohoof 2

I got two. One of me and one of my cousin

Mine was when I was a filly I never ate pies because I though it was made out of the bird magpies and that's where they got the name from.

My cousin when he was a filly used to think you didn't grow up, you're born and grow down hence our mocking term to start stories he used constantly "when I was big" XD

At first I thought this topic was gesturing towards female bronies/pegasisters because of the mentioning of young female horses. Perhaps a better word would be foals since that just means young horse in general.

Hm... let's start.

- I used to think naked mole rats could kill you in milliseconds if you stared at them.

- I thought lamps moved in dim light.

- I thought you peed out of your butt.

- I thought if you stood upside down long enough focusing, you'd float upside down.

WOW elementary-minded me...

I used to believe that cantaloupes were baby antelopes, and since I always saw plenty of birds perched on telephone lines, I used to presume that they were built so that the birds could rest.

I also used to think that ponies were nothing but dumb creatures that only little girls liked.
Oh how wrong I was.

Haha, but mlp ponies are nothing like real ponies that girls fawn over because equines are 'regal' and 'beautiful'. To tell ya the truth, mlp never even changed my perception on horses... and I've never really liked them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxgPhMmO6zg = i swear to god im the most immature high schooler for laughing at a pooping horse

• Brohoof 2

Hmmm...well,

• I watched "The Hills Have Eyes" and assumed that the monsters could come kill me...even when it could never happen.
  • I thought getting a grade below a "B" automatically qualified you as an idiot who wouldn't go anywhere in life.
  • I assumed that the moon was following me when in a car.
  • I though stuffed animals/plushies came to life and protected you from monsters when you were asleep.
  • I thought my toys came to life like in "Toy Story" when I left the room.
  • I assumed that if I came out into the living room quick enough, I would be able to catch Santa Claus delivering my presents on Christmas.
  • I assumed Math was an extremely easy subject. 

I bet there are more things, but eh, those come to mind the quickest.

• Brohoof 2

At first I thought this topic was gesturing towards female bronies/pegasisters because of the mentioning of young female horses. Perhaps a better word would be foals since that just means young horse in general.

Hm... let's start.

- I used to think naked mole rats could kill you in milliseconds if you stared at them.

- I thought lamps moved in dim light.

- I thought you peed out of your butt.

- I thought if you stood upside down long enough focusing, you'd float upside down.

WOW elementary-minded me...

Haha, but mlp ponies are nothing like real ponies that girls fawn over because equines are 'regal' and 'beautiful'. To tell ya the truth, mlp never even changed my perception on horses... and I've never really liked them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxgPhMmO6zg = i swear to god im the most immature high schooler for laughing at a pooping horse

;p, i have to wonder how some of this came to be ;p. 

Oh well, theres probaly many things I can't remember anymore that I thought as a filly.

I'm not sure if i even know what a naked mole rat is, of course I guess if it looks menacing enough i can understand.

I'm not sure how lamps move in dim light, o-o. Or look like they are. I'm confused with that ;p.

I was about to be much more confused, but then i remembered that your a girl and stuff ;p. I actually thought that about girls for a bit after finding out they had different parts in the first place ;p.

Of course i'm surprised you never got curious, i mean maybe i was just a weird curious child, but I watched the whole peeing process before while standing and sitting, just because... well idk, maybe I thought something magical might happen that i'd miss, or maybe i just wanted to know every last detail out of curiosity ;p. probably the same reasons i have for trying to figure out when/if the light on the fridge turned off when closed.

I was always a very curious child, and still kinda am quite curious overall..

That last one is confusing ;p. Are you saying you had the ability to float?

I guess you would for a few seconds as you fell. :)

I guess you could float a few seconds 

Its ok, even looking back on myself a few years ago i wonder... haha.

I'm ok with horses, but they aren't nearly as adorable as MLP ponies. Plus they can be more disgusting, due to many reasons, including um.. well like bodily functions in that video ;p.

Btw, i don't get that video much, or why i watched it, theres that childhood curiosity hanging in the back of my mind still...

Oh, I was very gullible and I believed everything I was told including babies being delievered by storks and the tooth fairy. I also took the expression that mothers have eyes in the back of their head very literally.  I clearly remember sifting through my mom's hair trying to find those eyes!

As I was reminded recently, a dog is a man's best friend, therefore a cat must be a woman's. The closest thing I ever had to a gender identity crisis was that I wanted a cat so badly as a kid. Only older female neighbors kept cats. In my child's mind, I reasoned it like this: Another word for girl is female and another word for cat is feline. They both begin with the same two letters. Coincidence? I think not! tongue.png

The other near gender identity crisis I had as a kid concerned Barbie dolls. I preferred playing with them over GI Joe and this concerned my parents. But my reason for liking Barbie actually had nothing to do with gender. smile.png It was the fact that GI Joe had ugly exposed knee and elbow joints while Barbie's is covered with a smooth plastic skin. 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 4