Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv The most emotional you ever got about a cartoon

Silverwisp the Bard

When Ash runs in the middle of mewtwo and mew's fighting and gets turned to stone in Pokemon the First Movie.

Yes, the whole scene is very cliche, but seeing Pikachu futilely trying to shock his friend back to life and eventually giving up is just heart breaking. It isn't so much all the other pokemon crying that gets to me, but it seriously doesn't help.

Even though I know Ash is going to come back and live for 5 more generations of the show, Pikachu's interaction with his friend in that scene still does bring a few tears to my eyes.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

It's nice to see I am not the only one who got emotional about this. After watching "Aftershock pt.II" I was crying for 2 days (holy shit, I'm so pathetic...). Especially that moment when Terra says "I have to stay" - the saddest thing I have ever seen in a cartoon.

To be honest I'm still pretty depressed over the whole thing and it's been like 10 years now.  It's just one of those things that has really stuck with me from an early age that not many other people took as seriously because it was a cartoon.  

How did I forget that? Yeah, I was not too happy with some of the humor in the series, but I really liked the Terra parts and ending the series the way they did must have taken serious balls. Seriously didn't expect that.

I really really hate how they ended it...  I always wanted them to bring the series back, it's like my favorite show because it was a cartoon but it was also serious, and they actually are now - but they're making it 150% more cartoony and they're all gonna be chibis so I mean...  I guess I can't really say they're bringing it back, at least not the way I wanted them to.

• Brohoof 1

For me it was in the last two episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist from the 21:40 of the second to last episode and the entirety of the last one I was bawling like a baby...

Since I was watching it in the living room on my Zune, my mother started to pick at me cause she though that I was crying at My Little Pony :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iTfsIjmjqo&list=ELzyM4ujU5frc&index=54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znk6zr7g0TM&list=ELzyM4ujU5frc&index=55

• Brohoof 1

To be honest I can't remember any western cartoons that really got me emotional.

My very first serious cartoon was Dragon Ball Z. When Goku sacrificed himself to save Gohan and the rest of planet Earth from Cell I cried like a little school girl. 

Edited by Mighty E.
  • Brohoof 1

this may not count but the only time i have cried at something with true emotion since i was about 7 was when i read my little dashie it was inspired by my little pony so i think that may count but if you are asking about sitting watching a cartoon and crying then sorry no.

that lilo and stitch scene always makes me cry a little ;~;

anyway....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8kQDNLkT3c

that scene.... all of my feels.

that whole movie, all my feels even. what the hell. the whole darn movie is about abandonment. what a sad movie when you think about it. especially the song "worthless", the part where the lamp electrocutes himself to recharge the battery, and the part where the toaster throws himself into the crusher to save the kid...

to some, that movie is sorta like a spiritual successor to Toy Story, especially the 3rd one.

Edited by crazitaco

Hmm.. well, as far as anime goes, the scene in Chobits when Ueda tells Hideki about his back story with his personcom wife.. that gets to me every time. ;~;

Plenty of scenes from the various disney/pixar movies also make me wanna cry. I don't /actually/ cry but tearry eyes is close enough.

I was fine watching the Lion King when I was little, but the scene in Bambi where the mom dies just got me every time. 

Also, Dumbo when his mother was taken away from him. 

2248460_o.gif

If were talking about newer Disney movies (because those ones are still fresh in my mind), a lot of the scenes in Lilo and Stitch, Ray's death in PATF and this one scene in Tangled.

tumblr_ma9600I23P1qd6edq.gif

WALL-E also got me pretty badly at the end when WALL-E was broken. Also, this entire scene in Toy Story 2.

:(  Gee, I'm a wuss. 

Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 1

Just watched Fox and the Hound. And i've got to say, it really got to me.

There is this scene where she is forced to return the fox into the wild, and while i did not cry, i felt very depressed over it.

Maybe its because i just became a pet owner myself.

Hmm, there are a lot of good contenders for most emotional moment I've ever experienced in a cartoon but...

img-1005565-1-Toy%20Story%203%20Final%20

I don't think I've ever cried so much in a theater before or since when I saw this scene at the end of Toy Story 3.

Oh man, the feels.

You should at least put spoiler mark to it, for the ones who haven't watched it (probably 90% of the forum did, but you know...)

The scene where a certain character is informed to be dead in the anime movie AKIRA, specifically the 2001 Pioneer English dub.

And then another character crashes the guy's motorcycle, implying to be destroying it and sending the motorcycle with him in the afterlife.

And the climax Superman scene from The Iron Giant.

And it is a spoiler, and this is a really good movie, so try to see the movie first.

Right now, the screenshot and the title don't spoil it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX0cGftqbrg

Edited by GuillermoGage

When I was watching the first pokemon movie and when Ash turned to stone literally broke my heart. seeing Pikachu cry pretty much made me really start the waterworks.

Well, over MLP, I got really emotional over This Day Aria when I heard it first time around, probably because of the Disney-esque vibe the song gives off, it just brought back a ton of childhood memories.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, there are a lot of good contenders for most emotional moment I've ever experienced in a cartoon but...

img-1005565-1-Toy%20Story%203%20Final%20

I don't think I've ever cried so much in a theater before or since when I saw this scene at the end of Toy Story 3.

I tried so hard not to cry in that scene. Toy Story 3 has to be one of the best movies I've ever seen. And one of the few that actually made me cry.

For me, one of them comes towards the end of The Secret of NIMH movie where the Brisby's house is sinking in the mud and Mrs. Brisby is struggling to get free of Justin, thinking her kids have drowned. It gets me to this day.

The Darkwing Duck episode "Dead Duck" where Darkwing is saying goodbye to a crying Gosalyn at the end, thinking he has to go with Death.

And the Pony moment has to be the Dash/Scootaloo hug, and especially Dash hugging Scoot with her wing, not her forelegs.

Edited by PonyHag1

In no particular order: 

Jurassic Bark. That was just needlessly cruel in my opinion. I never liked that episode.

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie: The scene where Spongebob and Patrick sing their song as they shrivel up under the heat lamp. Of course, everyone new they were going to get better, but still, you were watching Spongebob and Patrick die!

Spongebob Squarepants: the episode where Gary runs away thanks to Spongebob's negligence and Spongebob runs himself ragged trying to find him. Especially the sad song Gary Come Home that plays during the montage. I teared up a bit the first couple times I watched it, but less so nowdays.

Up: The prologue, of course, but also the scene where Carl finally lands at the waterfall and starts reading his late wife's journal. By the time he got to "Thanks for the adventure! Now go have a new one", I was tearing up along with him the first time I saw that scene.

I know there are other cartoons that got to me, but those are the first ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Well, this was when I was littler, but it wouldn't hurt to get it out of my system...

Alright.

I used to watch PPG. (Powerpuff Girls.)

I can still remember that one episode when somebody turned Buttercup and the red one (Don't remember names much.) blacker.

I cried for the next 15 minutes after that.

:l

Okay, I watched Foster's Home the Imaginary Friends a TON in my childhood. Like, way more than I should have. But I had never actually seen the last episode. When I finally did see it recently, it didn't get to me at all. It was the same surreal but hilarious comedy I'd always loved. But then came the ending scene... Oh god the ending scene. It was the exact opposite of the opening sequence. Instead of the Foster's house being drawn, it was erased. I sobbed like a little school girl.

From movies

Toy Story 3: everything, makes me feel bad for leaving my favorite toys

Lion King: Mustafa's death, I think it speaks for itself

Up: You know you got a good movie when you make people cry in the first 8 minutes

Spongebob Movie: When Spongebob and Patrick shrivel up. It does a lot to a kid when you see your childhood hero die like that

Pokemon the First Movie: Like Spongebob, I still choke up when Ash turns to stone, despite how odd it was

From Cartoons

Futurama: this show does this a lot, like Jurrasic Bark, or even that one with Hermes being somewhat like Benders father(I think that's how it went)

Friendship is Magic: Especially with Hurricane Fluttershy, Canterlot Wedding Part 1, and Winter Wrap Up

King of the Hill: the ending, you had a great run guys

Surprisingly, Regular Show: Trucker Hall of Fame, for showing a side of Muscleman we never see, and Eggscellent, for showing how close Mordecai and Rigby's friendship truely is 

From Anime:

Dragon Ball Z: Goku's second death, even though I had a feeling he was still gonna be brought back, it was still pretty powerful

Pokemon: When Ash released Butterfree

Fullmetal Alchemist: Maes Hughes death, especially with the funeral

Cowboy Bebop: bang.....

G Gundam: Yes, Master Asia, the East is Burning Red....

Gurren Lagann: Goddammit Kamina....

• Brohoof 1

I'll mention something that hasn't already been said repeatedly by everyone else.

There's a claymation movie called Mary and Max on Netflix right now.  It's about a man with Asperger's in America who becomes pen pals with a lonely 8 year old girl in Australia.  There's really no one moment that comes to mind because the entire movie is one huge tearjerker but if I had to pick something it might be this line:

"You are my best friend.  You are my only friend."

Edited by Mister Jack

• 7 years later...
1 minute ago, Megas said:

It's always Luck of the Fryish

I think all your choices were perfect.

My mind is at a blank, I cannot remember an emotional moment, but I know some anime had it. It did get emotional a few times during season 1 of My Hero Academia, like the "Young Man" scene

• Brohoof 1