Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books The Book Thread

Octavia2

I'm reading a series called Conqueror.

Its all about Genghis Khan, well conquering stuff. Although the later books are about his sons and their sons, it pretty much follows the Mongolian empire after his death.

The books are really good and, as far as I know, reasonably accurate. I didn't really know anything about the impact they made on the world until I started reading these.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Silence of The Lambs now. Great story, loved Buffalo Bill's character, along with Starling and Dr. Lecter too. Hated the living shit out of that bastard Chilton though... god, what a piehole. Same goes with the Senator.

If you have the patience, I recommend reading it.

Reading Hunger Games right now.

I'm liking it, but some of the plot is annoying me.

(Granted im not very far yet and my questions could be answered)

In a nonspoiler way can someone explain why people are hungry to begin with.

That's the biggest issue since there seems to be more than enough food....

In a nonspoiler way can someone explain why people are hungry to begin with.

That's the biggest issue since there seems to be more than enough food....

How much have you read? I've read the whole series so I could probably explain some stuff.

How much have you read? I've read the whole series so I could probably explain some stuff.

I'm only up at chapter 4

When they are on the train to the capital I believe

It's just like I was saying in my post that thought is lingering in the back of my head the whole time I read it and is preventing me from jumping in and enjoying the book fully. I'm not looking for some elaborate explanation, just something as simple as the capital keeps food away on purpose from the other districts is fine by me.

I am currently reading The Great Gatsby (school reading) by F. Scott Fitzgerald, in my opinion Mr. Gatsby is a bit of a creeper... :blink:

But that aside, my favorite series is The Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky! If you haven't read it yet you should definitely give it a try, it is a very easy read but definitely not lacking in character or substance.

Edited by Guest

It's just like I was saying in my post that thought is lingering in the back of my head the whole time I read it and is preventing me from jumping in and enjoying the book fully. I'm not looking for some elaborate explanation, just something as simple as the capital keeps food away on purpose from the other districts is fine by me.

It's because the first two districts are the most rich, while every district up to Katniss' progressively gets poorer.

• Brohoof 1

I've been reading several short stories by N. Hawthorne.

Celestial Railroad/The Birthmark/Dr. Heidegger's Experiment/Maypole of Merry Mount/ect.

I'm saving Scarlet Letter for last :P

I am reading Great expectations.

I had no expectations for this book, and I was right.

I hate it.

I read Great Expectations in 8th grade

I hated it then, and would probably hate it now.

Pip is such a gullible chump, falling for that high-nosed priss.

Edited by Moosefullaeggs

I loved Redwall by Brian Jaques. It's the only book of the series I've read, though.

On the topic of talking animals, Animal Farm and George Orwell in general are awesome.

I'm also reading The Great Gatsby for school, and I like the general feel it has. Now that I think about it, not much has actually happened in it, yet it's stayed interesting. Well played, F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Kinda off-topic, but if Fallout: Equestria were published, I would definitely buy it and read it again.

I loved Redwall by Brian Jaques. It's the only book of the series I've read, though.

I love the Redwall series as well, Bowl. I've read all the books and wish there was more(which there won't be because Brian Jaques is dead, R.I.P.) Anyway, today I finished reading the first book of the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. Its a story about a group of kids who were genetically altered by a group of scientists to have bird DNA and wings. They are on the run from those same scientists and their newest experiments which are essentially werewolves with the ability to change whenever they want, and trying to figure out who they are and why they were chosen for experimentation.(sorry, I have bad habit of typing really long sentences). Edited by super muffin derpy506
  • Brohoof 1

The Redwall series, Artemis Fowl series, Harry Potter, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Inheritance Cycle, Cirque Du Freak, The Demonata, The Apprentice Adept Series, The Seven Realms series, and The Myth Adventures series to name a few.

Authors in order, Brian Jacques, Eoin Colfer, J. K. Rowling, Douglas Adams, Lemony Snicket, Christopher Paolini, Darren Shan, Darren Shan again, Piers Anthony, Cinda Williams Chima, and Robert Lynn Asprin.

I'm a bit of a bookworm. I can't remember the titles of all the books I've read, since it tops a few hundred that I really enjoyed. I'd have to pull out my whole book cupboard and list them one by one, and I'm simply too lazy...

I'm currently reading a series known as Shadows of the Apt, by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It's a rather heavy-duty series, and the storyline is slow, but the amount of creativity and imagination that has gone into the world and characters that live within the pages is amazing to me, and I can't put them down. Currently on book seven, the last one in print til August this year, and it is honestly one of my favourite book series of all time.

Other favourite series include:

- Artemis Fowl

- Otori Chronicles

- Glass and Study series

• 2 weeks later...

Thank god for the Table of Contents.

I just found out that two book series I was reading, one involving a fanatical version of WW1 and another involving Russian spies, have come out with the final books in their series (I think). I WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT to finish reading it, but fricking English class isn't allowing me to do that! :(

Reading Duma Key by Stephen King. SCARY AS HELL XD

But my favourite author is Edagr Allan Poe.

I love the Redwall series as well, Bowl. I've read all the books and wish there was more(which there won't be because Brian Jaques is dead, R.I.P.) Anyway, today I finished reading the first book of the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. Its a story about a group of kids who were genetically altered by a group of scientists to have bird DNA and wings. They are on the run from those same scientists and their newest experiments which are essentially werewolves with the ability to change whenever they want, and trying to figure out who they are and why they were chosen for experimentation.(sorry, I have bad habit of typing really long sentences).

I have almost all the Redwall books XD

Star Trek: Dreams of the Raven. It's only one example of the limitless creativity of Trek authors.

The books usually tend to be more consistent than the series, sometimes even clearing up plotholes in episodes. And of course, they're an excellent read, especially if you're old enough to enjoy the subtler aspects of their humor.

I really like the Thursday Next Series by Jasper Fforde. It takes places in an alternate universe where literature is worth a lot more than in ours and the protagonist is a so called "Literature Detective" who watches over people who are trying to fake and sell originals by famous authors. Someday here uncle develops a device which allows you to travel into books and she follows a criminal in a copy of "Jane Eyre". I can't exactly describe the universe right here because there are a lot of "odd" things in there. There are time-travellers, pet-dodos, vampires but somehow it all makes sense and if you have a bit of imagination it's fun to read and very exciting :)

Also it is packed with humour and references

Have you ponies read any of the pendragon series? The plot sounds stupid, but it is actually a great line of books!

I have and I liked it a lot! :)

Also does anypony else here loves reading biographies of musicians or sportsmen?

Edited by PonyPunk

I've just read "Scar Tissue" about Anthony Kiedis from the Red Hot Chili Peppers and "Come as you are: The True Kurt Cobain Story". Both good biographys that just portray facts and were written with help from the musicians :)