Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you leave the fandom over a fan-made video?

Pony Of The Month

I know what you're all thinking. "WHAT WHY?! Why would you ask such a question?"

Well here's why. I was just lurking on /mlp/ and I found someone who didn't like Double Rainboom threaten to leave the fandom because of it. I know it sounds ridiculous, and that's why I only rarely go to /mlp/. If I'm bored and in the mood to laugh at them, than I'll lurk the place.

Here are my quick thoughts on Double Rainboom: I liked it. It wasn't spectacular, and it was full of fan-service, and the story derailed once it got to the PPG crossover, but I wasn't expecting it to be anything great.  It did have it's flaws, but it's not worth leaving the fandom over.

My question is why would someone leave the fandom just because a over-hyped fan project ended up disappointing them? Do they not understand what happens in fandoms. You're always going to get crappy fanfics, crappy videos, and even crappy fans. Just because ONE fan didn't impress them, they're just going to leave the fandom? That's ridiculous! 

Than again, I've never understood why people leave fandoms anyways. Sure, even if you lose interest in the show, you still have the fan made stuff. And if you lose interest in that too.... well, I guess that is a good reason to leave. As long as you don't harass the people who haven't left, I have no problem with you leaving.

tl;dr- Some guy on /mlp/ threatened to leave the fandom because they didn't like Double Rainboom. And this place is SO much better than /mlp/.

• Brohoof 3

Nooo never! I understand that people like different things, and there's always going to be a video or fan work that somebody isn't happy with. No reason for anyone to leave the fandom over it though. I mean it's not a big deal.

• Brohoof 6

That has to be one of the dumbest reasons someone could possibly ever leave, if someone really wants to leave because of that it is not going to bother me much but seriously over react much?

To be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of Double Rainboom, even though I love the Powerpuff Girls and all; it just came so out of left field that it just didn't feel...

Right. Dunno.

But to leave the fandom over that? That's a bit ridiculous. I suppose everybody has their own reasons for doing things, but I couldn't imagine leaving over a fan made episode, of all things.

Are you sure the guy wasn't joking about that, Flutterbass?

The only thing that's ever got me close to "leaving the fandom" (whatever the Hell that means) are comments like this.

My God, has this fandom gotten cynical...  laugh.png

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph_2f4SJmuo

Never. That's is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. No offense to him but how ridiculous. I loved it and I'm not leaving, ever. I love being apart of this and I wish we can just get along and pony instead of freaking out about a certain episode or something that hasn't aired yet. I'm not being mean I'm just expressing my opinion.

There is an obvious difference between disliking something and going over the top. In this case said person is going over the top. I would never leave a fandom just because of ONE video, fan art, etc. unless it had something to do with the ENTIRE fandom as a whole. I can understand someone not liking something, that's one thing, but ranting and raving and threatening the fandom is an entirely different scenario. It's just the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. What bothers me though is not the fact that said person has left or is leaving, it's the fact that he has to over react that much. I mean seriously, get a freaking grip.

Edited by EpicMuffinTime

Leaving the fandom over something a fan made? Why in the wide, wide world of Equestria would I ever do that?

A fan-made video is exactly what its name says. It's a FAN-MADE video. It's not the actual show.

I saw Double Rainboom, and while it was kinda strange and out in left field, I thought the animation was good, the voice acting was well done, and the story was fun. It was a cool change of pace and a big accomplishment for the brony fandom. I enjoyed it.

There is absolutely no point whatsoever to leave a good fandom for something fanmade. It's not canon, and you can easily leave it out of your own headcanon and continue to watch the show. That's what I do whenever I don't like something fanmade. I just forget about it and move on. That simple. :)

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos

When people say "leaving the fandom," I am not sure if they mean that they aren't going to watch the show anymore - or if they will just no longer interact with other fans, watch fan-made videos, etc.

Either way, I like this video about leaving the fandom:

To answer the question - NO, I would not stop interacting with other fans because I disliked one video.

And I certainly wouldn't stop watching the show over it!

• Brohoof 2

If the Mane 6 voice actors led their talents to an episode in which Twlight presides over a neo-Nazi herd of white sheep to infiltrate Ponyville and change everyone's cutie mark to a swastika, I might have second thoughts.

• Brohoof 1

No thats kinda dumb to be honest, I mean first of all theres still the awesome community regardless of the state of the show(As long as that never changes) plus its a fan made video, I would not really consider leaving except maybe for Cannon content, thats about it, even then I might stay simply for the amazing people here, and heck even FOR the fanwork. The fanwork is pretty awesome and really is only getting better over time in my opinion.

I understand not everyone liked Double Rainboom, but I think to leave over it is a bit ridiculous.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the person was trolling/fishing for attention. The internet is a pretty crazy place, but that seems like a bit too much for me to believe. No, I wouldn't leave the fandom over a fanmade video/song/story and quite frankly anyone who would isn't worth troubling your head over.

• Brohoof 2

I'm lost... you would leave the fandom because fan content is being made...? I was really confused by this persons comment. I can understand that throwing in the crossover was a huge risk and to be honest it ruined it a little bit for me as well. But apart from that no it was great, the animation was superb and so was the voice acting (I find it hard to not find a Pinkie Pie voice which is way to high, and I found one which did one really well in this). Furthermore it's not cannon so I don't see what the problem would be.

• Brohoof 1

The answer is simple. No.

and don't just go very rarely to /mlp/ Don't you EVER go there, NEVER, not even if you are seriously bored to death!, not even if it is the only site left in the world!!! feel like green texting? go to ponychan for celestia's love!!

• Brohoof 1

>_(

You know I consider myself a reasonable person. I mean I know sometimes you don't agree an things and that's fine.

But a fan-made episode is your reason to leave the fandom.

Why?

Now I liked Double Rainboom, yet when someone says they don't like it I'm cool. Okay, I respect their opinions because I admit it has flaws (which I can live with). Some would like it and some wouldn't, and I understand that.

But

To leave the fandom for something like this is just

2.png

Okay you know what fine.

If people want to leave fine.

I don't see this as a reason to leave the fandom, but you know what I'm not going to stop you.

I mean it's okay if you want to leave the fandom, nothing wrong with that.

What I mean is that I just don't understand someone using this as a justification to leave the fandom.

It's just

1.png

• Brohoof 3

Anyway, that's one of the worst ways to ever leave a fandom of anykind. :(

I haven't seen the video, but in my opition, who wants to leave because of a video that people made?

No, I would not. Anyone who says that is taking the fandom too seriously. I hold the show in higher esteem than most, perhaps any, fan content--because the show is what inspired it all.

If that putrid fanfic about an alicorn OC who turns into a jet couldn't make me leave, nothing will!

That would be pointless.

The fandom is known for making music, art, fan fictions, and creating fan-made videos. It would be a stupid excuse for leaving, it reminds us of why people left the fandom because of Twilight becoming an alicorn princess. I know people have had mixed reactions for both Sonic Rainboom and Snowdrop, also Princess Twilight too. We all can't agree on some things but, the thing is.. people can't accept big changes then they start to leave for an idiotic reason. I say, let them leave. We wouldn't stop them for leaving anyway, I'd even let them walk out the door while I watch them leave. Basically, who cares if they leave.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

What?! Leave the fandom just because I watched a fan made episode?! Of all the things that could happen, this is the worst possible thing!

Seriously though. That's the most ridiculous reason to leave any fandom. I kmow not everyone likes Double Rainboom but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the real show. I'm pretty sure that certain person will regret doing so someday.

Edited by Flutterdash.

That person's obviously just begging for attention, so taking him seriously is...well...hilarious? ;)

And...yeah. Like everyone else here said, leaving over a fan made video is plain ridiculous.

• Brohoof 1

Uh oh...

post-13775-0-83966300-1364787562.jpg

But seriously, I don't get why someone would leave the fandom just because they don't like some fan made content. That person is probably just seeking attention, and will likely be back soon if they leave at all. I'm not a fan of gridmark, but I won't leave because of it. I just won't look at it. 

It seems someone has been spending too much time in Rarity's school of drama tongue.png .

Well, if you youtube "Cupcakes.mov" (Or something like that) I can garentee you will want to remove yourself from both the fandom and the world. So creepy. Otherwise, I would only leave if EVERYONE started doing stuff like that. The community is a good place, and there will always be one... Strange person in the bunch, but even still. So long as overall it stays on topic, and out of "those" places.