Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What inspired you to create your OC?

Sugar Pea

Hey there.

So forums, what inspired you to create your character(s)?

Was it a friend, an event, a video game character? Maybe a hobby?

Edited by Bittersweet Suprise
  • Brohoof 1

The PMVs (Pony Music Videos)

and
, actually. Insomuch as they inspired me to begin drawing in general and drawing ponies in particular. The OC was just something I felt I should make from there. Probably not what you were after, but there it is. biggrin.png

As an aside, those songs have also opened the electronica/dub-stup genres (honestly, not sure which they belong to) to me. Which is something I've not fully come to terms with begin a staunch metal-head for so many years. huh.png

New Moon was originally a "Shadow the Hedgehog" pony (well, not New Moon, really). However, after always pretending to be certain characters I liked from any form of media as a child, I decided to get more serious and consider making an actual OC. Note that, despite saying that, I don't put myself in the story. Just saying I liked the concept of OC's as a child (however, as a child, I would always make myself a Gary Stu :P).

Edited by III New Moon III

The alicorn drama. At the time I was thinking of making an evil character, and the alicorn drama sparked an idea in my head, my (earth pony) OC could be envious of Twilight Sparkles power, and being the mentally disturbed pony that he is, he makes countless attempts to destroy her.

That ties in with the people who were talking about Twilight being over powered and stuff. 

I actually don't have an OC, despite how badly I want one img-1390391-1-sad.png

I draw ponies when my mind wanders and more often than not they end up being non-canon ponies. I think I secretly hope that one day, I'll draw a pony that I deem a good representation of who I am.

But alas, here I am with no OC and a bunch of pony doodles in my notebooks. I'll let you guys know when I find a keeper img-1390391-2-wink.png

edit: wow grammar

Edited by D1SC0RD

Skyrim. :D

I was derping around in the pony generator and made a dark blueish/grey mare with 2 blue tones in her mane. Called her Ebony Nightingale.

Ebony from the Ebony Bow I have in Skyrim, and Nightingale from the Nightingale Armour.

Awww yeah.

Made her eyes red to contrast with the blues and grey, went "hey, she'd look good with more red." so I gave her a crown.

There we go. Princess Ebony Nightingale.

When I created her, I started actually trying with the ponies I was drawing.

• Brohoof 1

My character was heavily inspired by Mary from the game Ib. It's also the reason my OC wears clothing. She's an interesting character, a living personification of a painting that is willing to do anything to escape into the real world. Her weapon of choice: a deadly pallet knife.

My OC was simply made because I felt like if I was joining a pony forums I needed a pony avatar, and I figured I'd do some type of ponyfied version of myself, which basically ended up as my OC who is my Ponysona more or less.

So I guess hes inspired by me. I don't really have a whole bunch of backstory or anything really made for him yet to be honest, I should probably work on that eventually :P.

My OC Stratos is my ponysona. He's a Pegasus because I am a student pilot myself, and his cutie mark is an upside-down cloud with wings, because I dream of one day being an aerobatic pilot.

(I redesigned him, the current pic on the RP bio page is outdated).

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

Ooh, good question! :3

Actually, I 'thought of' my OC before I even became a brony. It's kind of a long story, but I'll try and compress it....originally I tried to suppress my interest in MLP for a while before I went full brony. I'd seen YTPs and a few clips from Return of Harmony, and I knew exactly how obsessed I would be if I got 'into it', like I am now. Which is...completely obsessed. So, I tried to suppress my interest for three months.

At a summer camp mid-July 2012, I realized that I was constantly thinking about ponies--but one pony in particular: the one who would later become my OC. Because I was really into Minecraft at the time, I...this sounds kinda silly, but I kept seeing images of my future OC fighting with my Minecraft skin (Herobrine as the Grim Reaper), almost as if my competing interests were literally battling it out.

When I returned home, I used GeneralZoi's Pony Creator to recreate the pony that had personified my interest in MLP in my thoughts, and you can see the result in my profile picture. Since he originally personified my interest in MLP, and now I am completely interested in MLP, he by extension is a personification of myself. I.E, I think of him as what I would be if I were a wholly pure being who doesn't have to deal with the burden of human nature pony.

Edited by Night Shine

Well... My OC is pretty much a ponified me. I don't usually do that with ocs, I usually start with one of my physical trait and/or one of my mental trait and create something completely different than me from there, but for my MLP:FiM oc, I dunno, it's just seemed right to have a character with the same personality as me and even physical features that can compare to mine.

I created my ponysona based on myself. She has all my traits, and likes, and stuff like that. She is also based on fire, because fire is awesome! And red is my favorite color, sooooo....

Fireball Rush was born! XD

Well, both Arctic Frost and Crossfade represent elements of music that I never want to forget: punk rock and electronic music. They...practically shaped my childhood and musical tastes, and...I guess they symbolize their specific genres. I always saw Frost as the spitting image of Tom DeLonge from Blink-182, and shaped his personality around the quirky, childish attitude that he often displayed at live performances. Crossfade...is just a kind of girly girl that loves her music fast, with heavy bass whenever possible.

Motion Spark was pretty easy, as soon as I became a fan of MLP I felt like I needed a ponified version of myself, so before joining the forums, I was already working on him, the name was pretty easy as well, and I loved it, it combines my passion for animation in 2 words. For Beat Spark, it was kinda tricky, I wanted to play in RP's but Motion wasn't enough for me, so I combined many of the things that I admire in RL with that Rarity's charm in one agile, tall, handsome and strong earth stallion with a fabulous mane! :D

I yet have to finish 2 OC's in the making, 2 of them females and non-Sparks, one originated in an RP and the other one appeared in a realization just came to me, both of them females :)

I was inspired to create Moraine after one science class this year where we learned about glaciers. I loved the sound of the word "moraine" and it spiraled out from there.

Vesta and Bright Lights kind of popped into my head as foils for each other and Moraine. Bright Lights is partially inspired by some dancers and singers that I know.

Silent Night was originally going to be a character for a tabletop roleplaying game with my sisters, but we never had the time and she became her own pony. 

My OC, Plagal Cadence, is sort of based on myself, but he's not really a ponysona.  He's mainly a combination of something I'd like to become (gifted in the art of creating music) and something I fear of becoming (completely asocial to the point of being almost constantly miserable).

I realized I "needed" one day, so I made one. I didn't know about the taboo on alicorn OCs, so he is an alicorn. I try to keep him from doing too much at once, though, and you can ask and a few others about that.

I made my other OCs to not be alicorns and on the basis of needing OCs for RPs.

I told a friend I had finally seen MLP. She was ecstatic.

Anyway, she ended up drawing me as a pony, and I just tweaked it.

And then, Skyline.

post-14404-0-01018600-1366726720_thumb.jpg

(And thanks again to Octavia's Cellozoid for the awesome drawing! biggrin.png)