Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Equestria Girls better than you expected?

kirbyboi

I haven't finished the movie as of yet (I'm bad, I know!), but the movie is a lot better than what I expected it to be! I do have minor issues here and there, like all of the main characters wearing skirts because Hasbro thinks it's kosher, but other than that, I generally liked what I saw so far!

I knew I would end up liking it but I never knew I'd end up loving it. It was one of the best movies I've ever seen [i like cartoon movies and stuff] and I just adored the music and thought the high school drama was interesting. I don't remember why but I had been in a really bad mood the day I found it and it certainly cheered me up. 

So yeah, it really was better than I thought it was going to be and I can't wait until it airs on The Hub later this month. 

I was positive about it pretty well from the get go. And it still managed to exceed my expectations. Also it relaxed any fear in my mind for season 4 and the Alicorn Twilight business cause I know that whatever Hasbro throws at us, DHX will handle it magnificently :D! You could really tell that they cared about the Brony community with all the shoutouts to the fandom they had throughout the movie.

I actually looked at the comments and ratings about the movie (non spoiler comments)

Which marked my expectation before watching. But yeah, the movie was better than I expected (especially the songs  :yay: )

I don't know if it was better than I expected, since I thought the trailers looked promising, but Id say that it definitely reached the upper end of my expectations. It wasn't a great movie by any stretch, but I certainly had a lot of fun while watching it. I loved catching little glimpses of humanified versions of our favorite ponies.

It was about as good as I expected it to be, and by that I mean "not very." Sure, it had good qualities - The voice work was top notch as always, the little cameos and easter eggs were amusing, and Helping Twilight Win the Crown was great fun. But overall I was left unsatisfied and wishing they'd made a My Little Pony movie instead of Twilight in Bratzland.

With how much I harped on this movie, I think most of you who'd seen my posts know my answer.

That answer is no, it's not better than I expected. The quality of the movie is what I predicted: soulless, messy, predictable garbage with the inability to objectively disguise itself as a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic movie.

Because of all the development hell this movie's trailer was delivering on all the professional sides of the spectrum — Hasbro and DHX, neither one is innocent here — and the poor quality of the concepts and delivery of the hype, I had a very good hunch the movie was going to be bad. I just didn't know how bad. And when I watched it, despite some well-done delivery in smaller segments, there was so much heavy-weighted crap, it outweighed the good.

Some of the good include the great delivery of the background score, beautiful vector graphics, and excellent characterization of Spike. However, the bad includes rushed pacing throughout, including smaller pockets like Twilight's adaption to Canterlot High, and it rushed even quicker following Equestria Girls; gigantic logic lapses that created artificial conflict (the reason why the Human Five initially broke up, the interrogation scene with Vice Principal Luna like not recognizing the cutout of the image); flat, predictable characterization of Rarity, Applejack, and especially Rainbow Dash; Snips and Snails being 100 not them; Sunset Shimmer being a stereotypical bitch; and lack of overall soul.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

Probably, I had zero expectations anyway. For me it was very average, it's not a good movie by any stretch, but not garbage like everyone expected. For me it's a 5 at worst and 7 at best. Parts I liked and parts I didn't. I'm probably never gonna go out of my way to watch it, but if I catch it on TV and there's nothing else to watch, then I might consider, and I'd still take it over some of the shows episodes

Equestria girls was fantastic! Whatever anypony says about "Hating" is just garbage. Besides it's what you like not anypony elses. I thought there were a few questioning remarks, but above all it was very well developed. (Rarity is so beautiful!)

• 3 weeks later...

It was funnier and more heartfelt than I thought, there was plenty for me to enjoy rather than detest, I just wish the movie was longer, so they can evenly space the pacing, and properly introduce the characters. While the build up and climax was rushed, there was a lot of pay off, like the reveal of human Twilight Sparkle and dog Spike, that for me was the funniest part of the movie, Snipes and Snails were fine as comedy relief, as for heartfelt moments that was what I enjoyed the most, in particular how Twilight had to bring together her human friends together, and rally the high school to back her, finally it was near the ending, when Twilight is about to go back to Equestria, it was a long goodbye but it was genuine and tender, as brief of an friendship as they had, the human friends really were attached to Twilight Sparkle. Equestria Girls was good enough for me, and was the final move that would make me a fan, a brony so it was better than I imagined, not what I expected, however I liked to the point that would bring me here, as a full fledged brony.

It was better than I expected. I went in with the mindset that it was going to be terrible and suck. By the end of the movie, my mindset changed. It was actually pretty good, which surprised me quite a bit. Shows me what I get for assuming something is bad before watching it.

I didn't really expect anything, wasn't even planning to watch it at first. I'd just say it's not bad. It's certainly not great tho.

A lot of it doesn't make much sense as far as the story goes and it had this "teen romantic comedy" vibe I really don't like very much. I think I would actually say "Hey, that was fun." if there wasn't this " Oh my gosh, I met the boy of my dreams, my hair is ruined AND the prom is tomorrow!" theme.

I can say it was better than expected, because I didn't expect anything.
This movie was really great, there is some flaws here and here*, but I guess it's fine.

*Flutterhy was dancing in front of everyone, something even I wouldn't be able to do, even if I danced the macarena in the middle of the streets at 8:00 with my friends. I mean seriously, in front of everyone. blush.png

My personal opinion:

It's a guilty pleasure for me.

The movie itself is full of flaws and has concepts that are stereotypical to that of a teenage highschool movie.

Do I feel like that's what it is when watching it? No.

When watching it I feel it's different because it's with OUR characters and we love to see them interact in a new enviornment. (Even though it is clear the HS mane 6 other than Twilight indeed have slight differences in character.)

I also particularly like the songs in it. (Just my opinion)

The most important note to mention of this movie: The Fan Pandering.

This movie goes so far to cater to us as fans: Vinyl and her eyes, Rainbow Dash Wub Woo, Pinkie Pie breaking physics and the fourth wall, Twilight still a White dancer, CMC, Sweetie Belle vending machine, The Great and Powerful Trixie, Random Gangnam Style reference, Derpy's two appearances.

It all presses my buttons that make me love the movie.

So yes and no, I loved it more than I thought I would but at the same time as a film it's about average.

Edited by Captain Brony (MG11)

Mhmm, at first when I heard the news about the movie I was like ''Oh dang, Hasbro's making a movie? I wonder how that would turn out''. Then when I watched it, it proved me wrong but I still can't agree on the rushed ending and the design of the humans. 

• 7 years later...

I actually watched the first movie before I watched the show, so no expectations or biases. It was cool as a pony-in-human-world experiment like some fanfic was made into an animated movie. But then meh, ponies without ponies is boring and movies are about human-like creatures. Thank you but no

• 7 months later...