54 users have voted

1. 1. what instrument do you play?

• Bass guitar
    • Guitar
    • Drums
    • My voice
    • etc.

(edited)

I am wondering what is your first song you've ever learned on any instrument that is played in a band. My first ever song, was a song that had no bass in it, it was Seven Nation Army by White stripes. I played it easily, it is just two hits on the A string, one hit on the tenth fret on the A string, one hit on the seven of the A string again, hit once on the fifth fret of the A string, then one hit on the third fret of the A string, and lastly for that part a hit on the second fret of the A sting then rinse and repeat. Then comes some more notes, the third fret of the E string hit that eight times, after that hit the fifth fret of the E string and go back to the beginning. Or you could replace the tenth fret on the A string with the fifth fret of the D string. And that was my first song I learned on my Bass guitar what was yours?     

Edited by Agent Smith

On guitar, my first song was Knights of Cydonia by Muse. I basically used the Low E string to play it.

On saxaphone, my first song was Lightly Row

On piano, it was Twinkle Twinkle Little star. 

That's great, I may not play those instruments myself, but I know of them, I play some guitar, no songs learned though meh it's not a problem. 

>Implying people don't play the fife

>Implying people don't play the tin whistle

>Implying people don't play bagpipes

Get on my level, OP

On the fife...hmm....Yankee Doodle?

• Brohoof 1

The first song I ever learned to play on any instrument was "Even Flow" by Pearl Jam on bass.
My first song on guitar was Ramones' "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker", and on drums it was "Lithium" by Nirvana.

• Brohoof 1

On piano, I first learned "Mary had a Little Lamb." Yes, I'm pathetic.

But I have learned a lot more since then. I can play the first few seconds of Viva La Vida by Coldplay, Most of Clocks by Coldplay, and I'm almost done learning the whole "The Scientist" by Coldplay.

On piano, I first learned "Mary had a Little Lamb." Yes, I'm pathetic.

Hey! So did I!

Piano's, or digital piano's/keyboards are also used in bands. I think it should be included. Piano was the first instrument I played, and it is my favorite.

• Brohoof 1

on the drum kit, i first learned under the bridge by red hot chilli peppers.

it took me pretty long to learn it, but when i learned it the satisfaction was overwhelming XD

• Brohoof 1

Well I play trumpet, but I think the first song we learned in band was like twinkle twinkle little star or Mary had a little lamb or something, because that's basically what you learn if your not learning on your own.

Im trying to take up and learn keyboard and I played some arrangement of jingle bells, but a begineer level one.

I also tried learning part of the skyrim theme, it's a bit rusty on my memory now though.

On guitar I never got good enough at it yet, an haven't practiced it enough, to play anything song wise really.

• Brohoof 2

Pretty bland list. People play other things :P

If we're counting the little learner songs like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, than Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. If not, first song was the Star Wars theme. First instrument was trumpet, by the way.

• Brohoof 1

First song I learned how to play was Paranoid by Black Sabbath. It's like three power chords lol. But I don't know how to play the solo.

That's fine I got a brother who plays the song, but he can't do the solo, of either Iron Man by Black Sabbath or Paranoid. So don't sweat it I understand.

That's fine I got a brother who plays the song, but he can't do the solo, of either Iron Man by Black Sabbath or Paranoid. So don't sweat it I understand.

I hate it when you learn how to play something and then you forget. Like the other day I learned how to play the opening for South of Heaven and now I can't remember.

*an

lol. My first song and instrument was smoke on the water on the guitar. I then proceeded to spend 6 years learning how to play guitar, then quit. Now, I'm taking up singing (not lessons or anything, I'm just trying to get better so I don't sound like garbage when I'm in chorus class next year) and starting to improvise for lols on the piano. First song I played on the piano though I think was we wish you a marry christmas, after I spent about 10 minutes on it getting the notes right.

My first song was on guitar. It was Stairway to Heaven. I know, so original. But it was one of my grandfather's favorite songs and when he passed away, my grandma asked me to play it at his funeral. I had been playing for a week and a half at that point. And I had less than a week to learn it. Somehow, I pulled it out of my ass and winged it.

I've learned a number of instruments, and i don't remember the first song on any of them except for bass guitar :P I learned Malignant Narcissism by RUSH and it took m about two months simply to get the undurance in my right hand to sustaing 16th notes for a few minutes straight let alone learning what the actual notes are hahaha.

I think the first thing I learned on guitar was the Smoke on the Water riff

But in terms of 'whole songs', I think it was Green Day's American Idiot..

On Bass it was Minority by Green day

And on Drums it was Basket Case..

By Green Day

I'm quite the fanboy aren't I

Morning has broken on the harp. Never have been fond on louder instruments and I can't play any violin type thing to save my life.

I tried to learn to play on the guitar, the first song ever was smoke on a water with Deep Purple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbXlFjTTqtk

I stopped playing the guitar, the last song I learned to play before I stopped was Sweet home alabama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cyokaj3BJU

I actually mastered that song, but I completely forgot how to play the guitar afterwards.. Lost interest.. :/ Could have become like Forest Rain, because I can sing and I could play the guitar.. Good mix.

I am actually a better singer, I try imitating peoples voice, so I can sing songs like Blue Moon, Frank Sinatra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgi1txjrKZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xorWgC8vf3I

I can do this song very well, almost exactly the same. I love Frank Sinatra. I can actually also sing the song Maybe by the Ink Spot.. Yeah, like I say I can imitate their voices so I can do a lot of the older songs. I can also do female singing voices, actually it sometimes even scares me. I can sing, I just can't record it and I'm too shy to actually share it.

(edited)

I used to play the flute, and it's the only instrument I actually know. I first started playing it when I was 11, too long ago for me to properly remember what was the first piece of music I ever learned to play sadly. I know it's the kind of thing I should've remembered :/

I tried picking up the guitar once but that didn't last very long. Woodwinds are the way to go for me.

Edited by Freedan

I tried to learn to play on the guitar, the first song ever was smoke on a water with Deep Purple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbXlFjTTqtk

I stopped playing the guitar, the last song I learned to play before I stopped was Sweet home alabama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cyokaj3BJU

I actually mastered that song, but I completely forgot how to play the guitar afterwards.. Lost interest.. :/ Could have become like Forest Rain, because I can sing and I could play the guitar.. Good mix.

I am actually a better singer, I try imitating peoples voice, so I can sing songs like Blue Moon, Frank Sinatra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgi1txjrKZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xorWgC8vf3I

I can do this song very well, almost exactly the same. I love Frank Sinatra. I can actually also sing the song Maybe by the Ink Spot.. Yeah, like I say I can imitate their voices so I can do a lot of the older songs. I can also do female singing voices, actually it sometimes even scares me. I can sing, I just can't record it and I'm too shy to actually share it.

That's the truth, I'm the same way, though I have a slight whistle when I talk, I have two less teeth in the front of my mouth, so I tend to whistle when I talk, when I sing though is a different story I can sing many voices (some songs sung by girls) but that's a okay thing to me. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't suppose smoke on the water counts. at this point in time I am trying to learn nightmare by avenged sevenfold on guitar. as for the instrument I play I have been working on vocals. I was hoping to start a band but I want to make sure I am ready for something like that as well as find people I will get along with.

Edited by SandmanTheTerrible

I play bass, the first thing i learned was Walk by Pantera... i began how i intended to go on XD

i do also play a little guitar, though not much, and the first thing i learned on that was Surrounded by Dream Theater (i'd already played bass for a few years at this point, hence why that's such a weird starting point :P)