instruments  

54 users have voted

1. 1. what instrument do you play?

• Bass guitar
    • Guitar
    • Drums
    • My voice
    • etc.

I got my first guitar on my 11th birthday, and the first song I learned on it was One by Metallica. Of course, I only learned the intro at the point. It's pretty much 99.9% impossible for a beginner guitar player to play dat solo on the first go derpy_emoticon2.png

(edited)

Well I started learning the alto saxophone from a book and private lessons, so the first "song" I learned how to play probably consisted of nothing but whole note G's, most likely four or five of them. huh.png 

The first actual song I learned came from the same book, so it would be one of those beginner songs like "Hot Cross Buns", "Frere Jaques", "Mexican Hat Dance", etc. I can't which one comes the earliest.

The first song I learned to play by ear was The Overworld Theme from Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

The first song I learned to play as part of a band was some kind of march I believe. That was way back in middle school so I can't remember which song it is despite still having the sheet music in my possession.

The very first song I learned to play on piano was Great Fairy's Fountain (not nearly as amazing and fancy as the song in the video though... I wish)

Edited by MuteMutt

What, no option in the poll for other instruments? I play the piano, pennywhistle, and English handbells, in addition to my  voice.

I think the first song I learned on the piano was probably "Three Blind Mice" or something, same for the whistle. First song on the bells was Jacob's Ladder. First song I sang? Waaaaaaay too long ago for me to remember :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hey! My instruments are not "etc." instruments. How dare you claim such a thing, OP.

Oh, and if you think I'm merely joking, you don't know me well enough (but don't take this too seriously).

Anyway, I don't know. I have always learned my instruments by the series of books we first used in middle school band. Funny, I know, but it's always worked! =P So there has really never been any first "songs" I have learned on my instruments aside from very elementary stuff. There are specific songs/solos I want to learn for my tenor saxophone, though, when I actually can get around to really learning it. =(

I tried picking up the guitar once but that didn't last very long. Woodwinds are the way to go for me.

Darn right woodwinds are the way to go! You're officially awesome! =D

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

I really do want to pick up my flute again but I keep forgetting it in Italy every time I go back there for the holidays T_T Tho I'd prolly end up bothering my room mate so it wouldn't be until I get a place for myself anyways xD

Surprisingly, the first song I learned on violin was "Devil Went Down to Georgia".

On Guitar, my first song I learned was Scatterbrain by Jeff Beck. *Gets kicked across the room by Applejack*

Ok, so I don't know anything on guitar except... *Gets glared at by Applejack*

I don't know how to play guitar.

And on piano, I just improvise. I could probably play the guitar part of Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold on one though.

Damn, band was so many years ago D:

Can't really remember what the first thing I learned to play (excluding beginner songs) when I first played the clarinet :|.

Though I do remember the first thing I learned on my keyboard was the beginning to (exact name here :P) Beethoven's Piano Sonata op.27 no.2 "Moonlight" 1st Mov. (it's really simple...nothing too impressive).

And for singing, I think the first song I learned to completely sing..."decently" was We Are One (in Norwegian of all languages) from the Lion King :P. As of late, I'm still trying to perfect Kaito's version of Meltdown.

Woodwinds ftw V_V/)

I think the first song I ever played was something really cheesy like "Oh when the Saints go marching in" mainly because it was part of the course I was taking.

But the first song I completely played by choice, was Annie's song by John Denver.

Well... I don't know really.  I would probably have to say that the first song that I ever had learned would be:

Hot Cross Buns EXTREME!!!!

The first instrument I learned was guitar, and I believe the first song I learned was In-a-gadda-da-vida.  If not that then it was Sunshine of Your Love.  The first solo I learned was Bohemian Rhapsody's solo.  

The other instruments;

Piano- Imagine or Bohemian Rhapsody

vocal- imagine or American Idiot

Trombone- Smoke on the water

Drums- Sunshine of Your Love

Bass- Freewill

(edited)

I was in a band class in my middle school, and I played the trumpet. Well, technically, it was a cornet, but everyone called it a trumpet. It's difficult to remember what song I played first though. Although, I do remember playing songs like Low Rider.

I actually got a little story about music. I remember I pitched an idea for us to play "Good Egg Galaxy" from Super Mario Galaxy. I wrote the trumpet notes myself, and showed it to my band director. It was in consideration for a long time, but I left the school to move somewhere else before I got the chance to hear anything. I heard a year later from a friend they played "Gusty Garden Galaxy" instead. I really regret not being able to play that song...

Edited by Twi Rubix

The first song I learned was on bass, and it was "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light 'Em Up)" by Fall Out Boy. I haven't been playing very long.

I play the snare drum, but I like being able to give the beat for the entire band.

The first song I ever played when I first got it, is the "20th Century Fox" intro since it was easy to understand at the time.

Not a hundred percent on this, but I'm pretty sure the first song I ever learned to fully play on bass was Black Sabbath's Iron Man. The bass section during the guitar solo is something I can practically do with my eyes closed nowadays, but it gave the seven-years-younger me quite a rough time.

• Brohoof 1

I guess my first instrument was a flute, but I don't remember which song was the first. Maaaaaaybe it was the "One note only samba", which ironically has 2 notes :3

It's this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CYpukkQo04

The first one I learned on acoustic guitar was My Hero, by Foo Fighters. I was proud of that, because I could make the C#m chord very clean.

On drums... I dunno. I'm not a drummer, although I know how to play them. *is better drummer than his own band's drummer*

I don't remember which one came first: but it was either hot cross buns on the recorder or merrily we roll along on the keyboard when I was about 6 or so years old.

Most of my music playing has been on my keyboard though as I've had a keyboard of some sort for about 21 years (I'm 25 now), and I always got more fun out of it than the recorder

Not counting songs everyone first plays: Twinkle Twinkle, Mary had a Little Lamb, et cetera, and counting learned as memorized, my first song was Turandot for the school marching band.  I didn't play it very well, I was only a freshmen.  I played alto saxophone then, and switched to baritone saxophone later that year.

I used to play guitar. The reason I eventually quit was because I didn't like my teacher's style of teaching. Each week we'd start to learn a song; and then the next week, we'd learn a different one, never returning to that song again. The only time I ever learned a full song was for recitals the school had. The first song I remember really learning is Boys are Back in Town, which I will admit was pretty fun to play. I will admit I never practiced as much as I should have, but really because I was never really motivated because the next week we'd go to a new song.

Anyway, on piano (Which I was way better at.) The first song I learned for a recital was Prelude in C.

(edited)

Hot cross buns on clarinet. Cause beginner band.
On piano, my first song was either Lillium from Elfen Lied, or the "easy" version of Requiem for a Dream by looking up the tutorials on youtube. Later on i took piano lessons and was finally able to learn the awesome "difficult" version of RFaD using sheet music :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzJCHxLWiio

Edited by crazitaco

(edited)

Well I used to play the Trombone, I don't anymore cause idk it got boring. I think I stopped playing it like 4 years ago haha. Now I play a bit piano, just sometimes when I am bored though. Otherwise I sing all the time wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

jokuc is the best singer in the world

I lied

seriously though I'm not that bad

oh and on-topic here... I have no idea.

Edited by Jokuc

I first learned how to play the beginning part of "Eye of the Tiger" on the trumpet. But the first entire song I learned was "Regal March" on the trumpet.

But, The first song I learned was Amazing Grace on the "Magic Piano" app.