Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Lyra so popular?

Hangman

I don't get it. Everyone seems to be obsessed with her when she is hardly in the show. Somepony explain to me what the big deal is with her and why she is so liked.

• Brohoof 2

Like the other background ponies, she is mainly liked due to her design. It's unique, and appealing to people; so they pay attention to her. Eventually, like other background ponies, some people will start establishing a character based on what they've seen her do. For example; in some of the episodes; she can be seen sitting upright like a human, so some have decided that she has a fascination with humans.

In short; people like her either because they like her design, or they like the character she is portrayed as in the fandom. Some people like her for both reasons as well.

• Brohoof 11

Lyra_Heartstrings_sitting_on_a_bench_lik

this episode, i believe, is where her popularity started. just like Derpy's fame from the animation error, her fame is pretty much because of her oddly human way of sitting on the bench.

• Brohoof 2

This

And this: (screw you Techno, you posted mere seconds before me >:wwww

Lyra_Heartstrings_sitting_on_a_bench_lik

That is really what made her so popular. But besides that, she got a pretty nice design, and musical ponies tend to be very popular (since her cutiemark is a lyre)

Edited by Erio Touwa
  • Brohoof 1

Because she's bloody adorable! :wub:

In seriousness though, she has a very nice design with really good colours and manestyle. Her design seems well thought-out and not as haphazard or random as some of the other background ponies, and she looks like could easily fit in with the Mane 6.

That, and of course her funny gag moment in the background made her a fun character for people to play with. As a background pony, fans are free to come up with whatever characterisation they want for her, and that makes her a lot of fun.

Interesting fact: I have a mate who's a non-brony (though he respects the show and its fans) and he says that if he had to pick a pony, Lyra would be his favourite because of how cute she is, and because of her sitting.

• Brohoof 1

If only you were around for The Most Attractive Pony Tournament 2013. That was one crazy ride  :lol:

Anyway it's just as they've said above me. The fandom took Lyra sitting human-like and ran away with it. For me personally, it was thanks to that tourny that I took an interest in Lyra. What started as a simple interest in her design evolved into a reading of Lyra fanfics and searches of Lyra fanart.

Edited by MuteMutt

I've started liking Lyra more after reading a bunch of Lyra fanfiction, and establishing my own headcanon personality for her. I'm sure the way she's often depicted appeals to people, not to mention her design and the way she sat in that one episode. 

She stands out in a crowd of Ponies too. Her design is amazing :3 

Edited by Apocalyptic_Unicorn

img-1759819-1-Lyra_Heartstrings_sitting_

this episode, i believe, is where her popularity started. just like Derpy's fame from the animation error, her fame is pretty much because of her oddly human way of sitting on the bench.

I just realized that the pony beside her is pretty adorable too  :yay:  I really liked her design.

Or maybe it is just that almost all ponies are adorable. :o

• Brohoof 3

She sat like a human in one episode, as was said multiple times above, so people made her a human obsessed personality, and she gained a fanbase.

I'm not really a fan of Lyra, but her design is nice, and her fan given personality is good too. I'm just sort of neutral towards her.

One thing about this fandom that you have to understand, it's crazy XD...In a good way.

Sometimes it's good to take a break from the mane six and there troubles, and to look into the characters that we always see in the background. They have lives too, and I guess we just like to try give them their own back story and personality and imagine what they go through on a daily basis. 

If you ask me, I think it's quite intriguing. 

Oh yea, and Lyra is adorable 

Eyl4XGd.png

• Brohoof 3

That could be said about Derpy or every other background pony. The reason she is so liked is mainly because of her design, fanfics, and art of her. The fandom also gave background ponies like her a personality which made her and the others even more likable.

• Brohoof 1

Well, Lyra's popularity solely came from the fans taking a small break from the Mane 6 and secondary characters but looking at the background ponies to look in depth on their personality. Lyra is pretty crazy in a good way, and very adorable.

bouncing_lyra_heartstrings_by_names_tail

• Brohoof 2

Like all the other background ponies, Lyra is just liked for one second of screen-time that we took and put into a full character who is obsessed with humans.  Lyra also has a very cool design.    

Where the hell is Tails? 16 posts into a thread about why Lyra is so popular and he hasn't shown up yet? Tails, I am disappoint!

My answer is this: her fanon base is as strong, if not stronger than the likes of Octavia or Vinyl Scratch. She also has a unique color scheme and design which is very pretty - her amber eyes match her cutie mark perfectly.

• Brohoof 2

I don't get the Octavia thing either. I spose I don't find their designs very interesting. I do like Derpy based on design and the history of her. I really like Trixie based on design alone. I like the character too, but I think Trixie has one of the coolest designs. That being said, I guess I have a better understanding for this concept. People just like what they like!

It seems that in terms of the fandom, Lyra's entire existence has been based off of 2 key things. First, you have her consistent pairings with Bon Bon (the fan given name), which for whatever reason always seems to have people automatically come to the conclusion that they're gay or bisexual and in some sort of intimate and often sexual relationship (damn you to hell 4chan and Rule 34).

Far more important though, is the fact that Lyra sits on a bench with her legs down. Much like Derpy's eyes this somehow drove the fandom into a frenzy of fangasm over the mare, over the seemingly most trivial detail. Yes fans are like that at times I suppose. Doing this apparently made her more "human," much like Pinkie Pie's tendency to break 4th walls and don Groucho Marx glasses also makes her similarly inclined.

I don't see it as a big deal. Sure I find her to be a rather adorable character, and that could be said of her fan based characterization too. But I find that to be true of a lot of other characters too, backgrounds included.

Besides that ah don wanna make too big a deal bout it but she's not the only mare inclined to sit like a human:

• Brohoof 1

Hands! That's why!

I'm sure people really liked her design and as I like to say (as of now), she's one of the mane background six, like Octavia and Derpy. Her cutie mark is a lyre so people could take interest in her in the art of music, which is a big thing in the bronydom, much like Vinyl's bass-dropping is quite popular on YouTube.

The fact she sat like a human in one of the episodes assumed she was into anthropology since no other pony sits that way, sort of how Derpy's line "muffin" made bronies assume it defined her characteristics, which is cool and do-able. Who says we can't assume things about a background pony?

• 4 years later...
On 8/19/2013 at 12:45 AM, Totally Not Wolf said:

Hands! That's why!

I'm sure people really liked her design and as I like to say (as of now), she's one of the mane background six, like Octavia and Derpy. Her cutie mark is a lyre so people could take interest in her in the art of music, which is a big thing in the bronydom, much like Vinyl's bass-dropping is quite popular on YouTube.

The fact she sat like a human in one of the episodes assumed she was into anthropology since no other pony sits that way, sort of how Derpy's line "muffin" made bronies assume it defined her characteristics, which is cool and do-able. Who says we can't assume things about a background pony?

Wait. Did we work together? How do you know so much about me? And yes I went through a hands phase ... but it's mostly out of my system now. Mostly. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 7/6/2018 at 2:31 PM, Lyra Heartstrings said:

Wait. Did we work together? How do you know so much about me? And yes I went through a hands phase ... but it's mostly out of my system now. Mostly. 

Hmmm and here I was thinking you used to be human until you wandered through a portal into Equestria where you loved it so much you decided to stay. I know I would especially with a good friend like Bon Bon.

Edited by Senko