Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

lomk

So when it comes to preferences in your technology, what do you prefer and why? Keep in mind, I'm not looking for debates as to why one is BETTER than the other. I just wanna know what you use in your tech and why you prefer it. And if you're going to compare and say that something is better than the other, offer up a logical reason. I don't wanna see "I liek mac cuz windows sux and get virusis..." Really that doesn't tell anyone anything.

So here are my prefs :)

So for my phone, I prefer Android. I don't really feel like one is better than the other when it comes to Android versus Apple with respect to operating systems. iOS is a very good OS. If it wasn't then iPhones wouldn't have taken off the way they did. When I was buying my new phone, I seriously considered an iPhone. But I checked out the Galaxy S4. I picked the S4 because the battery is user replaceable and it takes an SD card. 

As for computers, I prefer Windows. My grandma has an iMac and I can't use it if it would save my life. I won't touch a Mac with a 10 foot pole because it's so unfamiliar to me. I've been using Windows since I was about 7 years old, back in the day of Windows 98. There are just so many more programs available for Windows. Nearly everything is compatible for it. The downside to that is, of course, there are so many more viruses for Windows. And when I built my custom PC, it was back during the Windows 8 initial launch. All in all, it's be best $40 operating system I've ever bought. I also have a laptop that runs Ubuntu and I love it. But overall, I'll stick with Windows :)

• Brohoof 1

For me, 

I prefer IOS, it's very easy to get around the menues and you don't have to remember where you put your apps. 

Computer

I used to be a fan of windows, but after all I went through with my old laptop (BSOD and all), I converted to a Mac fan. I like Mac because it doesn't get viruses and you don't have to go buy a lot of extra stuff. 

like Mac because it doesn't get viruses

I can direct you to hundreds of places where you can get viruses for Mac OS X. Macs do get viruses, it is just not as common as Windows because Mac's are not as popular as PC's. The moment Mac's become more popular than PC's is the moment you will need an antivirus software for your Mac. As it stands now, Linux is the OS with the least amounts of viruses out there.

I don't like iOS or Mac OS X. Apple only allows you to do what they want you to, you get no freedom unless you jailbreak the damn things. Android you get freedom out of the box on stock. I prefer customizability and freedom over anything else as it is my device and I paid for it. 

Edited by Xelphos

Well, I'm not a technology maniac, but I do spend a lot of time in front of my laptop. tongue.png

But well, I really like Windows, you can easily modify it and have some fun. Windows is like a car. If something get broken, you can easily replace it. But for IoS... quite difficult.

I often use with my laptop and it's doing fine, just getting a bit old. (Acer laptop lel)

Also, I don't own a phone. Found it quite useless.

Edited by GhostPony750

Personally I prefer Linux. I am about to load Linux so I can use git without having to install Cygwin or something. It's for a PHP-based project.

Computer wise, anything but Dell, HP or Acer. Ugh, don't ask.

• Brohoof 1

For computers, I prefer Mac or Linux, because I like the unix based OS and have had bad experiences with windows in the past.

For tablets, I prefer apple simply as there is better build quality in iPad.

For cell phones, android; no doubt out it. iOS is nice looking but I hate how there's so many restrictions on it, I like the freedom and customization. My current phone is a Nexus 4.

I usually stay on my laptop all day. Though, I actually prefer a PC over a Mac.

Windows 8 may suck to most people, but I honestly just stick with 7. Plus, PC runs almost everything I need at a decent speed.

For game systems, I prefer Sony's Playstations over Microsoft's Xbox's. Not only is the new PS4 cheaper than the Xbox One, but it's more powerful and more reliable.

I don't use cell phones but basing off my friends' phones, Android is the one for me.

Computer-wise, it's actually Windows 7...I haven't had a single experience with Windows 8 but apparently it's better now, so I might give it a shot.

Game Console Wise, It's this: Xbox 360 > Nintendo Wii > PS3

But, I'd play just about anything. I'm kind of a Microsoft fangirl at heart, so...there's a lot of bias.. But place a PS3 in front of me and I'd still play it, it's just not my console of choice. 

I don't use my phone for anything but calling, but if I had to pick, Android.

For operating system, I prefer Windows. I am really fond of Windows 8 and don't understand the hate it gets. In my experience, it's almost as stable as XP, a vast improvement over Windows 7.

For manufacturer, I have a strong preference towards Toshiba, their computers have good specs for their cost and they are also really really durable, being able to be dropped several times and still being fine. Toshiba computers last a very long time from what I have experienced (I've had 3 laptops made by Toshiba in my lifetime).

For game systems,

Xbox > Playstation > Wii

(Although I rarely use any consoles, as I'm mainly a PC gamer)

Edited by Harmonic Revelations

I love all things Asus. I've got a Netbook of theirs, which I'd like to get everythign off of and put Linux onit so it'll run a bit faster, as I only use it for web browsing. Windows 7 is just too taxing on it. (This is also a dualcore1.55Ghz Netbook with 2gb of Ram)

building a computer, I Prefer ATI, AMD,Corsair, Western Digital, Cooler Master.

I also like Samsung stuff...

I despise stuff such as Acer, Dell, LG,...

Console, Xbox, as it's all I've had for current gen. Wouldn't Mind a PS3.

Only Apple device I support is the iPod, because I use iTunes for my music management on my PC (even though 99.% of it is torrented) and  combined, theyr'e great for Music management with my iPods

Edited by ~Chaotic_Fluttershy~

Well, Personally, here's my two cents to this all.

PC gaming would have to be a good old self made computer with Windows 8 or 7, personally I don't find much difference between the two, and actually like 8 more than 7, don't ask why, but I just feel it has a bit of a better layout.

Consoles it goes this way: Xbox 360 > 3DS > PS3 > Wii U, not because I don't like them, just more games that I prefer on all the consoles compared to the Wii U, not saying I don't love it though.

Phones it is always going to be Android, is so much damn better, so much more freedom to everything, and I really enjoy it.

Though tablets has to be iOS, as the iPad is actually quite the decent piece of technology.

I own a Macbook Air, and I'm satisfied with it. The battery life is longer compared to some Windows computers, and the software is very good as well. My Macbook rarely gets stuck, and that usually only happens when the battery life is very low. 

Although, it is a little disappointing when a game that I want is not available for Mac. 

As for smartphones, I'm used to the iOS, but Android is amazing as well. I honestly can't decide at this point. Android is much more customizable, but that opens them up to a lot of viruses. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, by the way.

Android is also a bit less... Seamless, than iOS. When I first got it, it actually felt outright tacky compared to iOS. It's grown on me now, so I don't notice it as much nowadays. It was also very confusing to use at first. I still haven't completely gotten the hang of it, but I'm learning. 

I don't own any consoles, so I can't really rate them. I am planning to get a PS4 when it comes out, however.

Toshiba computers last a very long time from what I have experienced (I've had 3 laptops made by Toshiba in my lifetime).

My family still has a 13-year-old working Toshiba computer. Yeah, they're really durable tongue.png

My phone sits there, flat, and doesn't really ever get used - it isn't a smart phone, just a $20 Samsung something. I don't really use phones. I've got the internet for communications.

I do however love iOS - which I use on my iPod Touch. If I do get a phone, I'd prefer an iPhone - although, they are really expensive, not to say that I wouldn't prefer them though.

I also dislike Android. From what I've seen of it, it is really buggy.

Computer, Windows, and more specifically, Windows 7, although, I love all the Windows.

I hate iMacs. Terrible things. Sadly though, my school computers are Macs. I'm getting used to them, but I still hate them all the same.

Edit: I also don't see what this thing is all about Windows getting viruses. I've never gotten a serve virus, ever, And I've been using Windows for a long time, even when I used to download heaps of random game hacks and tons of random stuff off pirate bay. My antivirus always picks it up.

Edited by mitchfizz05

Windows and linux > mac

I perfer windows and linux becouse I simply do not like apples software, it just soo.. ugly in my opinion. 

PC>PS3>xbox360>wii. (I am almost tied when it comes to ps3 and xbox, I like the ps3 menu better and I don't like xbox live to well.)

android is my perfered phone operative system becouse i like having the exstra buttons on front and not one, the menu in IOS is also ugly.

psvita>ds>3ds

I dont like the 3ds I am soory don't kill me please. sad.png

Edited by CrayZ

Well, starting with phone I really have no pity for Android or Apple, they both suck for me. Though Android's data files are a lot easier to get into, so I guess you can say I prefer Android.

Talking PC, I prefer at my home shop Windows 7 since it provides easy disk partitions and is overall an easy OS to use...and is supported by almost every software... Though at the workplace or for servers, I prefer Linux since I can program it to my demands and it runs rather fluently. 

Consoles...well...they're all the same to me. I own a Xbox, Wii, and used to have a PS1/PsP, and they all serve the same purpose.

I prefer Linux to Windows. It's an operating system that rarely gets in the way of what you want to do, this is why I love the terminal. My desktop experience is heavily customized to my own personal needs as opposed to a "one GUI to rule them all" mentality. I can also get all my software from a single reliable source and optionally a not so reliable source (the main repo and the Arch User Repo)

As for Android vs iOS, they both suck. I can't trust Google at all and Apple locks down their products like they contain the contents of Pandora's Box. They also hide all the advanced features which really makes me mad when I'm the one that usually fixes people's tech problems. I hope Ubuntu touch or Firefox OS overturns their duopoly.

• Brohoof 1

Edit: I also don't see what this thing is all about Windows getting viruses. I've never gotten a serve virus, ever, And I've been using Windows for a long time, even when I used to download heaps of random game hacks and tons of random stuff off pirate bay. My antivirus always picks it up.

Try running Windows without an anti-virus, and you'll understand.

I always have preferred Macs over Windows or Linux, but in the past few years I've been drifting away from them as they become more iOS-like.  

Speaking of which, **** iOS and Android. They're both awful in my book. My favorite mobile OS is webOS, followed by BB10 and then Windows Phone.

Alright. Let's do this.

Nintendo > Sega

Because I love a lot of Nintendo games and I don't think I have ever liked any Sega game. No, I don't like Sonic.

PS2 > Xbox

Because of the way better and funnier games.

Xbox 360 > PS3

Because of the much more comfortable controllers and the bigger & better community, plus, since I'm a cod nerd, you got all the cod dlc a month earlier.

PS4 > Xbox One

Because Sony made the controllers better, the console looks better and is smaller, it doesn't force you to get all these voice command bullshit and TV watching and Hal 9000 Kinect. And a ton of other reasons. Plus, Microsoft has always been a bit of a shady company but now they are worse than ever.

Windows > OS X (or whatever it's called)

Because apple's stuff is annoying and I just prefer windows.

Android > iOS

Because iOS = Cage and small screen phones.

Oh goody, one of these threads. Operating System-wise, I tend to prefer Windows, though I have been known to make exceptions and dual-boot Windows 7/Backtrack. Mobile operating systems, I'm an Android fanboy all the way, though I'm not biased enough to completely outcast Apple devices. I quite like my iPod Touch 4G and iPad Mini, with the former jailbroken so I can watch movies and the like through SSH, and I eagerly await the iOS 6.1.3 jailbreak coming this Winter for the latter. Game consoles...I generally prefer my PC over everything, though my 360 stays in second place because I do love the exclusives, and can't exclude them.

Generally my preference for every device is that it has to be modded in some way, in a nutshell. *shrug*

I use an iphone, because It's simple, reliable, and does everything I need it to. Tried using an android phone (which was fun, I rooted it and installed cm 10.1) for a bit and just switched back. 

And I use a macbook, since I produce music and it really works well for music programs. I've never had it crash running Ableton. And after using OSX for a few years I much prefer it over windows. Much more intuitive and does everything I need it to do very well. And it's fast, reliable, never had a problem with it. I never play games much either, so no issue with that.  

Edited by EndtheRaven

In terms of operating systems: Linux, then trailing by a few miles is windows. Trailing by a few AU is OS X. Linux actually respects the user and allows me do to as I please. Its not perfect. Not by a long shot, but it has gotten significantly better over the years. Windows and OS X have only continued the tradition of abstracting as much of the under-the-hood components from the user as possible. Mobile is the same story but throw android in there as well. I have a Nexus 4 with android 4.3. It isn't that good. Conversely Maemo, a long dead mobile OS still holds its own. I've yet to try ubuntu phone or firefox OS or even tizen as I'm waiting for them to mature a bit more so I don't brick my Nexus 4 but I can't wait to try them.

On the hardware side: Intel and nVidia. Sorry but their software stacks are eons ahead of what AMD is producing. "BUT MANTLEZ AND NEXT GEN CONZOLEZ" you shriek at me. Ok, so woefully underpowered consoles and an API scheme that has been tried before by various and now defunct/irrelevant companies such as S3 and 3dfx are the future? As a hardware enthusiast I'm looking forward to Kaveri but AMD isn't that relevant anymore as it is. I don't think for a second Mantle is the answer to AMDs issues. Instead, what they should be doing is improving their catalyst driver especially under Linux and oh i don't know, help optimize OpenGL.

For mobile handsets: None. They're all locked down pieces of rubbish. The same mostly rings true for tablets. There's the Pengpod but its a bit pricey for the hardware.

Consoles: None. I have a PC.

I'm a sucker for the IPhone: I'm running a jailbroken IPhone4 which replaced my 3GS. I really dislike Apple, their business practice, their desktops and laptops... but they sure know how to make a phone.

I point blank refuse to 'upgrade' to Windows 8 - Windows 7 is perfectly fine for everything I need and I cant stand the thought of being shoehorned into an OS that is designed for touchpads and 'easy access'. Those things have their place but some someone like me who enjoys jury-rigging whatever he can, I like my nice, easy to access, Windows 7.

Nividia over ATI simply because I don't know enough about ATI cards to know what is comparable to Nividia ones and I really dont want to shell out a load of money for an inferior graphics card just because I don't know what I'm doing.

Console wise, I've ran a Sega Megadrive, Nintendo 64, PS1 and Xbox, followed by a Wii and Xbox 360. I follow quality - not brand - and am looking at the PS4 for this generation: though that will only be for when I don't feel like playing games on my PC. PC gamer at heart.

Phones-  a cheap basic flip phone....I loathe smartphones, but I know they are going to take over the world soon enough (simple phones won't even exist, it's getting harder to find them now). But...if I have to choose, I'd be android since it's linux based....

Computers....Build my own, with linux all the way....

If I really had my way, I'd be posting something about steam engines and threshing machines, but that's way behind anypony's time from this forum... huh.png

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

As a technophile (lover of technology), I must make an input. Prepare yourselves...

For my phone, I'm sticking with my customized HTC One. It's a Sense 5.0 AT&T model but I upgraded it to Stock Android. Sense made me nauseated. I'm sort of regretting picking the HTC One over the Galaxy S4, as the camera on the One is putrid. They may try to lure you over with "Ultra Pixels" but really...it's just megapixels. FOUR megapixels. You can SEE the pixels if you view your images on a desktop monitor, even on shots with direct or lightly diffused light. Don't even get me started on the night photos...I didn't have that issue while testing out the 5 MP camera on a Nokia Lumia 520, a phone you can get for $99 off contract. Sorry, that turned into a rant about the One's camera, rather than why I prefer Android... >.> 

Honestly, I prefer Android because I don't have to manage my phone and media through iTunes, which was a pain in the brain when I had a 3Gs three years ago. I can just use Windows Explorer without having to jailbreak or totally modify my phone. Android, like its father OS Linux, comes in different "flavors" based on different manufacturer's preferences. Lots of variety, freedom, and integration.

For my computing, I use Windows 8. My desktop is a custom built machine with Windows 8.1 installed. If only I could downgrade to Windows 8.0...I've had a few issues with the start menu loading incorrectly and the Charms Search integration isn't nearly as good as it was with Windows 8. I was born and raised on Windows and it's got all of the software I use- Steam, Sony Vegas, MS Office, FL Studio...it's all so intuitive and natural for me. I only use one Metro App- Xbox Music, I still like Windows 8 because it feels faster and like it utilizes system resources better. It's like my Desktop applications run faster on Windows 8 than they did on Windows 7.

My laptop is a Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A running Windows 8.0. I've had it for around two weeks now and this thing...is sexy, silky-smooth and practical. It's thinner and cheaper than a Macbook Air and it's just freakin' awesome. 

Honestly, I have no need to buy an expensive Mac. All of my software and games are for Windows and the OS is just second-nature to me. To me, it's more user-friendly than OSX. I've gotten a bit more used to OSX using it in a photography class I'm in and wouldn't mind owning a Mac- if I got one as a gift- but honestly, I have no need to buy one. I haven't seen a virus on my PC since my Vista machine in 2007 and...Macs can get viruses, too. 

Also, I really don't like Apple's dystopian business practices. After all, it was the community that invented downloadable applications for iOS- not Apple. Seriously, I had an iPod Touch 1st gen in 2007 and saw the move myself. Apple sued the 3rd party community and tried to make it illegal to jailbreak their hardware. The Installer community (Cydia hadn't come about yet) was forced into the underground and Apple got all the credit for their App Store...I mean, I totally condone the Jailbroken iPhone community. I used to have one.

I also dislike conformity without reason and while it isn't confined to any one technological macrocosm/microcosm, the Apple-conformity macrocosm is the greatest...though Android has one, too...

I don't have a tablet. I don't need one. My phone is my media consumption device.

I also have a Raspberry Pi. As a technophile, I just had to get one. I really, really don't know how to use Linux but would love to learn how some day. Fascinating little computer...

I know this hasn't really been brought up but...my primary digital camera is a Nikon D5100. I chose Nikon because my dad has one and has some pretty awesome lenses that I can borrow with his permission. Canon's great, especially for filming movies, but I just chose Nikon. I've also got an Olympus E-PM1. Hey, it may not be a DSLR but it it shoots RAW, has fully manual controls and has interchangeable lenses like a DSLR. Technically, it's a digital rangefinder...like a point and shoot, but its 12 MP Micro 4/3 sensor gives it near-professional quality and functionality.

More technology stuff...

My primary earbuds are People Get Ready: Midnight earbuds by Bob Marley. They're biodegradable, cheap, and have a decent sound range, though they're lacking a bit on the highs. Best of all, they're unique and stylish. Excuse me while I have a Rarity moment but...they really are fashionable and make me stand out. My primary headphones are these $30 Sony Extra Bass somethings I got from my brother. Amazing sound and bass...but the chord is short and they fall off your head easily if you're really jamming out. 

Eh...eheh...I got a little carried away, didn't I? Sorry... blush.png

Edited by Static

Phones-  a cheap basic flip phone....I loathe smartphones, but I know they are going to take over the world soon enough (simple phones won't even exist, it's getting harder to find them now). But...if I have to choose, I'd be android since it's linux based....

Computers....Build my own, with linux all the way....

If I really had my way, I'd be posting something about steam engines and threshing machines, but that's way behind anypony's time from this forum... img-1997087-1-huh.png

Funny, because my town still has a couple Steam engines. One of which is a Steam Locomotive, the other a Steam powered farm tractor that's in every town around this county every year.

Edited by ~Chaotic_Fluttershy~
  • Brohoof 1