Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your least favorite episode in season 4 right now?

Slice0Pie

My opinion has changed. New least favorite is Power Ponies. It's like Castle Mane-ia. Only, on top of lacking humour, this episode also has a repeated moral (underappreciated Spike has value), an outright ridiculous plot, as opposed to simply boring one (bad hair days will rule the world!), and little to no depth to the characters, sometimes even outright forgetting aspects of a character (Applejack the rodeo champ, and Twilight the Element of MAGIC. Still fail to use rope and magic lasers respectively.). The focus character received almost NO development. My review:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The plot was boring and predictable. I was able to call pretty much the whole sequence of events. The humour was mostly meh, though the Flutterhulk was pretty hilarious. The moral was a repeat about a Spike who feels useless and underappreciated, but isn't really. The whole motive and plan of the villain was as silly and underwhelming as the villain herself. The characters were overall very dull, with minimal to no development for any of them, and very little depth to any of them. Further, some of the characters' issues with their powers made no sense. In particular, Twilight's talent is magic itself, and Applejack is a rodeo star. There is no reason these two should've had trouble being useful, regardless of whether they could figure out their new powers or not, they still had their preexisting skills with magic and rope respectively. Overall, this episode is somewhere in between meh and ugh. Initial impression is 3/10 stars, making my least favorite episode thus far.

------------------------

That was before browsing the forums, after just having watched the episode. After reading some comments on here, I noted a few other positives.

Positives:

- Twilight and Spike's relationship: about time they covered this. Spike is not her pet, or her slave. The "two minutes" dialogue definitely seems along the lines of mother/son. SO STAHP, ya'll Spilight shippers. It's just wrong

- The castle: the repeated presence of the castle could definitely means it may well be important later on.

- I forgot to give props on the hilarious Pinkie antics this episode. This episode was a really funny performance for her.

- Rarity was pretty cool too.

But the negatives still stand, and overall, my impression has only been upgraded to 3.5/10. Not much, because the episode was still resolutely un-entertaining for me. Stay tuned for my second viewing impressions. My rating always improves after a second viewing.

Daring Don't

I just felt like nothing was really accomplished, the story was excessively silly (even for a kids show), and there were so many ways it could have been done better and still had the same message. Plus the fact that Daring Do is real just raises so many silly questions. 

I don't really have a least favourite episode for this season. Sure Castle-Mania and Power Ponies were lighthearted, but that's what they were supposed to be. That's why I don't have a least favourite. Each episode was great in its own way, and they served different purposes well. 

Daring Don't

I wasn't able to enjoy the episode because of Daring Doo, if i had a nickel for every time she said "I work alone" I'd have 35 cents, or so, not a lot but still.

Daring Don't is so far on top of my list, today's episode is second, and Flight to the Finish is third, because I payed little attention to it

Least Favorite: Flight to the Finish

Most Favorite: Daring Don't 

I should also note that this will likely change considering how we still have so many episodes left this season. I say that in the most optimistic way possible. This season has been very satisfying so far :)

I like the season openers the best so far followed closely by flight to the finish but put daring dont dead last.

But in all honesty, with all its up's and down's so far I feel like a ship on the ocean just looking for its iceberg.

As much as I like the shout out, I wish they would just get on with the story

Edited by Argumedies

I quite disliked Daring Don't.

Castle Mane-ia was funny as hell

Power Ponies was pretty good, and Spike finally didn't get utterly fucked

Flight to the Finish was bamf 

And I liked the season premiere.

But Daring Don't...bluh! On an average day, I like Rainbow Dash the least out of the Mane 6. Something about the excessive pride she displays sometimes just rubs me the wrong way. In Flight to the Finish, she was portrayed very nicely, in my opinion. In Daring Don't, though, the self-centeredness (when she got up into Yearling's face and literally demanded her to write the book, my jaw literally dropped at the arrogance) and the fangasming was just really...annoying. I actually found it quite enjoyable to see her squirm after Do got captured.

The moral was weird, the premise of Daring Do being real was weird, and 4 of the Mane 6 were unnecessary to advance the plot. I did not like the episode at all, and I won't lie, it was mostly because of the particular portrayal of RD in it. Sometimes she's great (Sonic Rainboom; Wonderbolts Academy; Read it and Weep)! Sometimes she's...tolerable (Griffon the Brush Off, which is more of a nitpick about her element; Fall Weather Friends). Sometimes, though...yeah... 

"Daring Don't". They should have used the "Mane 6 get transported to the fiction world" idea there and had them enter the Daring Do book. This would immediately have removed all the issues raised by Daring Do being real. Of course, then "Power Ponies" wouldn't have been able to use it.

Dash was just a mess in that episode. And no, she was not in-character to fawn over Daring Do. She didn't turn into a big pile of mush when she was with the Wonderbolts. She even told off Spitfire, her idol, when she disagreed with the way the Academy was being run. And in "Daring Don't", she becomes the Damsel in Distress and gets held hostage. I'm surprised more Rainbow Dash fans didn't complain about that. Just, no, not a good episode for me.

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 2

Least favorite Daring Don't- I hated that they made the fictional character real. I preferred having the imaginary world within the imaginary world with twilight and dash having that connection and fan obsession over a book. I mean now dash is just going to chase Yearling and stalk her for more adventure what the point of the books?

Daring Don't. Honestly though, A.K Yearling was being too much of an idiot before suddenly becoming friendly.

I swear it was mentioned previously that it was a fictional series, now we are told otherwise.

• Brohoof 1