Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kip the Dip

At risk of accusation of being a concern troll and causing some kind of dramatic discussion, I'm going to bring this up, as it disturbed me quite a bit.

In a separate forum from our own, someone pleaded for donations for a friend who suffered a stroke. The stroke victim is Pounce, a gamer brony and voice actor.

In response, Tara Strong tweeted for donations, but with a prize attached to it.

post-19078-0-87045200-1389233378_thumb.png

As it happened, her promised "sexy voices" were merely a joke, as seen in these vines.

Now, I know, I know, Tara Strong loves to do the troll schtick. Any other context, this would've been hilarious. However, it was built on someone else's pain and tears. Even with positive intentions, to use it as an opportunity to troll feels in extreme bad taste.

Is this the image we want to portray? Rather than simply asking fans to donate out of kindness, to help a fellow member of the fandom, she pandered for charity through trolling and the bait of sexualizing a children's character. Again, it was all in jest, but this kind of joke is so unbelievably inappropriate. I'm afraid it has eschewed my view of Tara. Perhaps she should apologize to Pounce and friends? Should we denounce this as inappropriate and not a fair representation of bronies? Or am I overreacting?

Anyhoo, I don't want to be a complete Debbie Downer. If want to donate to help the poor guy, feel free to do so. Any amount is worth its wait in gold.

post-19078-0-08571600-1389234728_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

It's not the fact that she's using this as a "trolling opportunity", it's just that mostly everyone would expect this from Tara Strong. She's done a good thing for spreading awareness of the situation, and her jokes are only to lighten the mood. It's not like she's making fun because the person had a stroke. Also, trolling is a really stupid term and it annoys the hell out of me, no offense intended.

• Brohoof 7

I think she was using her humor to lighten the mood and encourage bronies to donate (they eat up her goofy antics). She does not mean to be rude, she just wants to cheer people up. She asks people to donate, and in return she will try to make them smile. She is an entertainer, afterall.

Tara has a heart of gold in my opinion. It'd take something huge to make me change my opinion on that.

Edit: Ninja'd by Otty. D'oh!

Edited by D1SC0RD
  • Brohoof 4

Well, if it got people to perv out and donate, then the ends justify the means in my opinion. And this isn't exactly out of character for her to do.

Well, alright, maybe she wasn't "trolling". As I'm always quick to point out, there is a difference between a troll and a jokester, Trolls desire to incite drama; jokesters desire to incite laughter.

Pull your head out of your ass. Of course she was going to do a troll, we all knew that. She was just trying to help some poor unfortunate soul and tempting us with grade A trolling.

How long have you been here to not expect this?

She's a known "twoll" (As I understand it.. her thing..)

so it doesn't surprise me.

No point in getting in a tissy over it all though, let the woman have some FUN...

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 2

I can agree the joke borders on frivolity, given the gravity of the situation, but I don't think she intended it to be offensively flippant so much as a mood lightener. Really, it all kinda boils down to the sense of humor of the stroke victim in question.

So, just so we're clear: It's unanimous that I'm being a drama queen?

Don't get me wrong. There's no doubt in my mind that Tara had good intentions. It just seems like this says more about her judgement than anything else. No one else thinks this was in poor taste? A joke is a joke, but timing is everything in comedy. Taken out of context, this is hilarious. However, I can't find it within me to laugh after hearing the heartbreaking sobs of the plea for donations.

You're not overreacting.  I don't even think she should have said that about Twilie in the first place, as you know, it puts a bad picture on bronies.  Not only that, but I bet you some people donated just because they thought that she would post that. .-.

I don't think I would be surprised with Tara because, we've seen her make some jokes and not really intend to offend anyone she is just trying to lighten up the mood at least.

• Brohoof 1

You could argue that the time and place might not be the best, but before you go out and get your torches and pitchforks just know that Tara is a bit of a troll but a harmless one for the most part. She meant no harm in this.

• Brohoof 2

I really think that you are overthinking it. She's joking in order to stay lighthearted, so the mood isn't... well, just icky. She offers the prize because she feels like rewarding people for their kindness, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

As long as it stays like this and doesn't actually turn into anything sexual, then I really don't mind. It would immensely bother me if a VA decided to do something in a sexual way with the voice as that just ruins the illusion that the show has.

• 3 weeks later...

You're not overreacting.  I don't even think she should have said that about Twilie in the first place, as you know, it puts a bad picture on bronies.  Not only that, but I bet you some people donated just because they thought that she would post that. .-.

So you just made this whole thing about us?  It shouldn't be about bronys.  it should be about one kid who made a poor choice that some of us are choosing to help out.

And suicide is a poor choice.  I understand being pushed to the limit alot of us do,

and alot of us sustained that damage and over came.

Don't get me wrong. There's no doubt in my mind that Tara had good intentions. It just seems like this says more about her judgement than anything else. No one else thinks this was in poor taste? A joke is a joke, but timing is everything in comedy. Taken out of context, this is hilarious. However, I can't find it within me to laugh after hearing the heartbreaking sobs of the plea for donations.

you were.  but we all do it.

Look if the kids parents get offended, by all means raise hell.  but if they don't care,

you don't have standing to do so yourself. 

Was the comment blue?  Yep. 

should that comment be said in regards to anything to do with an 11 year old?

nope.

So here goes,  Shame you on tara you should be whipped with a wet noodle.  on u tube.

with as little as cloths as you see fit.

God damn it now she has me doing it.  Scuse me i'm gonna be in time out in the corner.

Chi-wua-wua.

So? If I ask people to donate for a cause and then offer /any/ prize, what is that prize going to do to the person who needs a donation? All he's probably happy for is that people donated, and I'm sure he'll be thankful, and maybe even enjoy listening to vinyl talk dirty too!

Tara should have went through on it, instead of backing out. That was really cheap and a waste of a good laugh.

Troll the $500 prevs with the joke being a play on words. Talking dirty means Tara Strong in TS voice reading out of a geology science book. Talking about a proper way to clean up a dirty floor. Gardening.

It would have been clever and in character with TS.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

Tara should have went through on it, instead of backing out. That was really cheap and a waste of a good laugh.

TBH she probably was forced not to by Hasbro, but needed to be hush hush about it lest she gets sued by them.

It wouldn't be the first time a company silenced an employee, and won't be the last either.

She was after all technically offering something Hasbro "owns", even if it is her voice.

I actually had to sign an agreement for my job saying that if I ever "separate" I'm not allowed to continue working (or know pretty much) with any of the individuals I worked with on the job, nor solicit any services to them or their families etc.... At least for up to 3 years afterwards.

Sad when nursing is competitive....

Edited by GrimCW

What it comes down to is, you have a point, but Tara is Tara, this is what she does, this is always what she has done, her intents are always good, and as numerous people have pointed out, she's just trying to put a humorous spin on the situation for the majority of the fandom who she knows are guys who, due to their majority age group, have their minds in the gutter at least 45% of the time if not more :P So, I see it as a null issue, like many of the folks in here.

• Brohoof 2