Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you think gems taste like?

RainbowMau

Well, they have to be aged right to have the proper flavor.  Something makes me think fine wine when I see the box and the tuning fork.

Spike_Tuning_fork_S2E10.png

Edited by silvadel

Sorry to ruin some of the mystery of it, but gems actually do have a taste. There are a few ways to see which rock is which mineral/element/gem. Taste is one of those ways. Some are tasteless, some taste god awful, but each is a different taste. So some might taste like the things you guys have said, but most are just tasteless or taste as someone else said, like dirt.

"Spike! Don't just eat the gems!"

"Twilight, you know I don't like gold, it's yucky!"

"You need a well balanced diet, Spike. You can't live just on treats. You need to eat plenty of gold and silver too."

"Oh, okay. I'll eat a little silver, but I won't touch the gold!"

"Finish up all the silver, and tomorrow I'll get you some plutonium."

"Spike! Don't just eat the gems!"

"Twilight, you know I don't like gold, it's yucky!"

"You need a well balanced diet, Spike. You can't live just on treats. You need to eat plenty of gold and silver too."

"Oh, okay. I'll eat a little silver, but I won't touch the gold!"

"Finish up all the silver, and tomorrow I'll get you some plutonium."

I think you mean platinum, unless our little dragon is going nuclear.

• 6 months later...

This conversation already exists?! Why does that not surprise me. (sighs) This is why I don't start things... I fear my mind is not original as I thought? ACK! Well I'd say the jewels and gems probably taste like the Jolly Rancher hard candies. So many flavors and colors and also the uh sapphire cupcakes with the shards. The shards are blue, so maybe they're blue raspberry? Also that rare fire ruby... It is red and as the name suggests, it's probably red hot... So perhaps it is a Red Hot Cinnamon flavored sort... Let me know what you think? Thanks for reading :D 

This has been Superbrony87 and I'm going to get to work on finding a completely new and fresh idea and avoid the mods eyes.

post-31899-0-29706800-1423093794_thumb.png

post-31899-0-38037300-1423093801_thumb.png

post-31899-0-76334400-1423094629_thumb.png

Well to Spike they're probably just rock candy (Actual candy). But to ponies and humans they probably taste like smooth glass

Edited by Petrus

I find it funny that most people in this topic think that they would somehow taste different to a dragon like Spike than they would to anything else.

They would quite literally taste like whatever they are made of. Ruby will taste like a ruby, diamonds will taste like diamonds. It's not that Spike would find them to have a completely different taste, just that he'll find the taste of a ruby to be actually enjoyable.

All this nonsense about it tasting like candy...silly MLPForums users. Candy tastes like candy. :P

I find it funny that most people in this topic think that they would somehow taste different to a dragon like Spike than they would to anything else.They would quite literally taste like whatever they are made of. Ruby will taste like a ruby, diamonds will taste like diamonds. It's not that Spike would find them to have a completely different taste, just that he'll find the taste of a ruby to be actually enjoyable.All this nonsense about it tasting like candy...silly MLPForums users. Candy tastes like candy. :P

Well, since flies like the taste of dung, I would assume that it tastes different to them than it would for a human. Granted, I've never tasted it, though I would assume I would find it to be just awful. I think it has to do with a particular creature's taste buds. I too think gems would taste like that rock candy to a dragon. You can get rock candy that looks like crystals. I doubt the flavours would be fruity, and they would be natural flavours, but I still imagine something in the ballpark of the taste of rock candy.

Well, since flies like the taste of dung, I would assume that it tastes different to them than it would for a human. Granted, I've never tasted it, though I would assume I would find it to be just awful. I think it has to do with a particular creature's taste buds. I too think gems would taste like that rock candy to a dragon. You can get rock candy that looks like crystals. I doubt the flavours would be fruity, and they would be natural flavours, but I still imagine something in the ballpark of the taste of rock candy.

I still don't see how the taste would change though. The only thing that would change is perspective and reaction but dung is still dung. It's not like it magically changes in composition just because a fly is tasting it.

I still don't see how the taste would change though. The only thing that would change is perspective and reaction but dung is still dung. It's not like it magically changes in composition just because a fly is tasting it.

True, but perhaps perception is all that needs to change, and having a taste for dung would most likely make it more palatable. Well, that and the body of a fly wouldn't reject it. Scientific studies have proven the validity of things like the placebo effect, and as a sociology major I believe reality is at least partially grounded in perception. Sure, a gem is still a gem whether a dragon is munching on it or not, but regardless of whether it truly has a sweet flavour, Spike still seems to think of it as a dessert. It is also highly doubtful anypony but Spike has actually tasted a gem, since only he has the teeth to bite into one, so there's that.

True, but perhaps perception is all that needs to change, and having a taste for dung would most likely make it more palatable. Well, that and the body of a fly wouldn't reject it. Scientific studies have proven the validity of things like the placebo effect, and as a sociology major I believe reality is at least partially grounded in perception. Sure, a gem is still a gem whether a dragon is munching on it or not, but regardless of whether it truly has a sweet flavour, Spike still seems to think of it as a dessert. It is also highly doubtful anypony but Spike has actually tasted a gem, since only he has the teeth to bite into one, so there's that.

Also true. What they need to do is have Spike eat an actual rock candy or something and tell us how it tastes so we can know if it tastes the same as a gem or different. :P

I imagine the way candy is made is different in Equestria since they still somewhat adhere to real pony anatomy and dietary requirements.

• Brohoof 1

I always viewed them as Ring Pops without the plastic holders

ring+pops.jpg

Probably the closest we'll ever get to eating one.

(And the sad part is, knowing this fandom...if they made MLP "Gemstone" ring pops with spike/rarity on the cover, you know we'd all buy them! XD)

• Brohoof 1