Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you prefer a job that pays well rather than the one you enjoy?

碇 シンジン

Would you take the job you don't enjoy doing because it pays well?  

83 users have voted

1. 1. Would you take a job you don't enjoy because it pays well?

• Yes! I don't care what I do. Just give me the money.
    • No I'd rather take the job I enjoy doing even if I didn't get that much money..

Or you can aspire to say 'screw that', and strive for a job which gives you both. I'm very excited about my choice of career as a music teacher, and we're paid adequately in Western Australia; particularly once you've been teaching for a few years and you demonstrate a high level of competency.

Sure, I won't be swimming in money. But I'll have enough to be quite comfortable, while engaging in a career that I'm passionate about, and is one of the most historically secure jobs around.  :)

• Brohoof 2

I don't think I can do a job that keeps me miserable. The idea is horrifying but I have the terrible feeling that's what I'll end up doing, since most of my family has desk jobs and I lack the skills to do anything other than what I am told. 

Your profile says you are only 14, you are still young and have plenty of time I am 28 and while I am not where I thought I would be at this point in my life it is not too late for me either. If I would say anything to myself at that age I would say to take nothing for granted, keep an open mind, enjoy your youth and take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself. If you want something to happen in life you have to try to make it happen, it is not always easy but it is worth it.

• Brohoof 2

There is a happy medium. I would need a job that pays enough for me to be able to afford the things I love to do outside of my work otherwise you're broke and the most fun you can have is going to work...which is incredibly sad. A comfortable job that pays enough for a nice home, the occasional holiday and also allows yourself to be a little materialistic would be best for me.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on the Job, I suppose.  I could work at a terrible job for decent money (I did it for almost a decade), so I think I could definitely do a job I didn't like for great pay without much difficulty.  I'd just use the money to make sure I had a great life outside work.

• Brohoof 1

I would prefer a job i enjoy.  :maud: 

I do not and don't ever plan on having children; so there goes that potential reasoning..so i will gladly prefer a job i enjoy over a job that only pays well. :maud: 

Money personally won't do me much good if im some miserable husk 40hrs+ a week. :maud:   

• Brohoof 1

Money is material; it is nothing but a source of crave for human beings. I tend to place my value my ideals above money, and i have a principal to be incorruptible - you can't buy me, whether it's favors, women, or whatever. Money is no exception. I'll always prefer true, lasting happiness above a fleeting material pursuit.

• Brohoof 1

money, because lets face it, unless you dream about an office type job then you arent exactly gonna get what you want.

"butuuh, persuee yer dreeems, liek paintin" most people (atleast me) dream about an artistic career, but those are shit to get money from.

• Brohoof 1

It really depends on how much you mean by "Not that much money" Are we talking 500 bucks a month? or a couple thousand a month? I would rather be working at a job I enjoy, as long as I can "Get By" I have got no problem making less money, as long as it's not so small that I can't live a happy life. I would rather be enjoying myself than be some mindless robot, just waiting for my next pay check.

• Brohoof 1

Who says I can't have both? As a journeyman CT mechanic I can pretty much guarantee I'll be making at least $32/hr. That's not even considering any management possibilities. Of course it'll take time to get to that wage, but when you can show up for work each day and be happy to be there, who cares? That, to me, is priceless. :)

• Brohoof 1

No.

To be honest, it doesn't matter how much the job pays if I am unable to handle it at all in the first place. It could pay me $15 an hour, and I still wouldn't take it if it was more than three days a week and involved doing things that I absolutely hated. I have very specific limitations about what I am able to do job-wise. I will never be able to work full-time because of my psychological conditions. (I'm just so so stressed out by certain types of work and too much of it. It causes mental breakdowns every two weeks if I am pushed too far.)

So I'll never make that much money anyway in the first place. Thus, why not do something I like anyway? I can handle it much more because it doesn't stress me out all that much, and I'd probably end up making more money doing something I like anyway because I'd be able to work more hours. So, if I do something I like, it's all win-win.

• Brohoof 1

I'd much rather work a job that I enjoy for less pay, really. More money is nice, but with more money comes more responsibility in jobs. I don't want to get paid to be responsible for things I don't really care about. And I'm certainly not going to be a manager, who gets paid more in order to take responsibility for other people. Not interested in being anyone's boss.

Honestly though? There are only a handful of jobs that I would actually enjoy, and those jobs have really awesome pay. That would be voice acting, or acting in TV shows or some such things. Pretty much anything in front of a camera or microphone. Hopefully I'll get that kind of job one of these days. :3

• Brohoof 2

Son of a :squee:! I was about to ask the same question! How did I not know this topic already existed?

Unfortunately, in my economic situation, I can't choose. Only very few I know get to work jobs they enjoy. More people I know are looking for a job or on a career path through education, or had their career pick them.

Due to the high cost of living and general unhappiness where I live, the prevailing notion is that you can't do a job you're good at or enjoy unless you're rich and connected or gifted and talented. I would love to do a job I enjoy, but unfortunately reality says it's impossible.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I'm a bit biased right now, because I am studying to do what love, Engineering. Thing is, engineers make quite a bit of money doing what they do. Regardless, I'd rather do what I love over making a ton of money.

• Brohoof 1

Here's a case where being older than average on the forum comes into play.

Yes, I will take a job that I hate that pays more, with the intent that the job won't last. Why? Because I have a family to support, and debts to clear. Very little in my life is about *me*. Once my obligations are clear, then I can go and concentrate on living the life of Riley.

• Brohoof 2

I don't care if a job pays well, if I hate it, I see little reason for me to stay there.

If I find a job I enjoy, it'll give me more reason to put effort into my work regardless of pay, and it'll probably work to my benefit

• Brohoof 1

Hmm... Both the jobs I want at this point could have a big pay off ( either programming or writing) but I need to learn a little more about computers and coding before the former is an option, and I need to stick with a solid idea for the latter, which is hard for me. I write a few chapters, and then the idea escapes me and I want to move to something else.

I'll start learning from r/learnprogramming to learn about coding and the like, and if I do well in school, I'll take computer classes in college on a scholarship. Wish I could go to a Colorado college for a change of scenery from Michigan...

• Brohoof 1