Do you believe that you are of above average intelligence?

PSP (Dizzy)

I would say yes, above average intelligence, in my opinion, mainly because I often question things and I guess I can think through things a lot. Only slightly above average though I would think.

And I am probably below average with everything else imaginable.

• Brohoof 2

I would say yes since I have had honor roll grades since the beginning of high school all the way to my 3.6 gap in college. Also I went to a national competition for computer programming back in my senior year of high school. Good times....

I would say yes if I had to choose one and that's only since I usually make high honor roll (but grades aren't really a way of measuring intelligence since all it is is memory), I will say that my recent memory problems kind of prevent me from learning things in certain areas, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm both smart and an idiot. I've had people call me a genius when tutoring them with things but whatever. :s

I would say yes if I had to choose one and that's only since I usually make high honor roll (but grades aren't really a way of measuring intelligence since all it is is memory)

I don't think that grades would be all from memory. Sure some classes like science or history are all about remembering dates and figures but subjects like math require more than memory to make the grade.

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe intelligence can accurately be quantified, but...

I was reading on a fifth grade level at the beginning of second grade... even though I was never an avid reader.

I consistently scored in the 98th percentile on standardized tests during my primary school years.

I am a proficient writer for my age, especially in academia. I've written research papers more than 20 pages long, single spaced. I've been praised for my technical writing skills by multiple professors.

I've completed several high level math courses, including calculus 1-3 and differential equations. I was at or near the top of my class in each.

I've tutored both my mom and sister in mathematics. I've gone to tutors for homework help, only to figure out the problem myself and teach them something in the process.

I sometimes entertain myself by trying to calculate things that are difficult to understand, like most recently, why a car with more mass doesn't corner as well.

I've built robots before, and it was one of the most fun things I've ever done.

I crave intellectual stimulation. Most of my friends are smarter than me. That's why they're my friends.

Referring to basketball, I have never been able to shoot a hoop in my life. I can throw a ball 10-15 ft at most.

...and I've never taken an IQ test.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 2

average is like 115

The average is designed to be 100. Though society is becoming more intelligent, so sometimes the average drifts upwards and they need to redesign the tests.

I've had a couple of IQ tests, and scored 129 and 134.

I don't place an awful lot of stock in IQ scores though - they really just test that you're good at answering the kind of questions that they include in IQ tests, which is only one aspect of overall intelligence.

• Brohoof 3

Yea you're right Vital. I was unsure about that myself. This was the average on the site I took it on. I don't really read into IQ tests too much either. I just have no other way to know I'm higher than the average. It still doesn't bother me too much when people post a higher number. You're smarter than me. Oh well.

Where's the poll?

My answer is "yes". I don't want to brag or something, but really, sometimes I feel that either my intelligence is way above the average or I am simply surrounded by idiots :P And it deepens with time.

img-2330601-1-7b162ab3abbadac1a3577969be

I was reading on a fifth grade level at the beginning of second grade... even though I was never an avid reader.

Similarly here. I was reading fluently when I was five already. And I learned it all by myself, using alphabet bricks (those with letters written on them). I was building words and phrases out of them. I was surprised when I saw how other kids in my kindergarten read syllable-by-syllable, or letter-by-letter. When I was in 2nd grade, I was already learning a second alphabet: Russian (Cyrillic).

I was always reading books that I was supposedly too young for. For example, I was reading about machinery, electricity, chemistry, atomic physics & stuff like that when I was a 4th grader. I not only understood that stuff, but I also could explain it easily to adults in simple child words. And I couldn't wait when I'll finally see this stuff at school. But I was really disappointed when I saw it, because teachers were explaining it all wrong and in so much complicated way that they were only confusing their students. I had to undo the damage they did to my fellow students and explain this stuff to them the easier way, and only then they could understood.

But, ironically, I was always getting bad grades at schools, because I was smart enough to see through that bullshit my teachers were selling me, and I was asking too many uncomfortable questions so they were getting mad that I question their "authority" ;P

I sometimes entertain myself by trying to calculate things that are difficult to understand

Mah man! ;)

I do that too. I play with equations as if it were LEGO bricks. I solve complex equations just to see if I'm capable of doing it. And if I'm not, I do what I can to learn how to do it.

Laplace.jpg

Recently I made this horribly-looking equation with nested radicals for my friends interested in Sacred Geometry, to challenge them and find out which of them are really worth something and which are only impostors ;) I gave it to them as a "Christmas gift" and they were supposed to unwrap that present to find out what a beautiful number comes out of it ;) But there was a catch: I required them to describe how did they get to that answer, to make sure they didn't use any mindless machine to do that work for them.

Maybe you want to try it, too? :> Here it is:

py4m8ax.png

I've built robots before, and it was one of the most fun things I've ever done.

Yeah, electronics is fun, too :) And it always looks cool ;)

0085_1024x768.jpg

I don't place an awful lot of stock in IQ scores though - they really just test that you're good at answering the kind of questions that they include in IQ tests, which is only one aspect of overall intelligence.

I have the same opinion on them, since I know some really dumb people who trained themselves to get a score of 120 or more in an IQ test. Last time I tried, I've got 117, mostly because I was too smart: I mean come on! They give me a bunch of numbers and I am supposed to figure out a pattern. But I can get a complete random set of numbers and came up with a formula giving all these numbers precisely for subsequent x. Have they ever heard of Lagrange polynomial interpolation? :P But my answer is not what they expected, so I get a penalty for being smart. Blargh!

Given my proficiency in math, including my ability to pick up mathematical concepts, yes.

Sooo can you tell me the answer to a simple question?: What is a number?

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 4

There are to my knowledge at least 3 different IQ scales, so just saying your IQ isn't really that informative. It's better to talk about percentiles, and what test you performed. I did the FRT-A test, and got an IQ of 105 (standard deviation 15) on what I think was the Stanford-Binet scale. I'm above average, but not super intelligent (but in my defense, the time was up before I could answer the last questions, but the time limit is on the other hand a part of the challenge).

And note that IQ-tests gets increasingly unreliable the higher the score. Tests that claim to measure an IQ score higher than 135 (99th percentile) are generally considered unreliable, and the ones that despite that are used by psychologists have a very large margin of error.

And lets not forget that IQ (and intelligence overall) isn't as important as most people make it out to be. It doesn't matter how smart you are if you don't actually do something with your intelligence: ambition is more important than intelligence (although you need both).

Edited by Azatrot
  • Brohoof 2

I believe I am above average in intelligence considering how well I've done in school, how I talk, and what I've gotten on IQ tests. Some say those may not be great evidence, but that's all I have.

Yes. My IQ is fairly high, despite the fact I think IQ is bullshit. I've read really long and complex books in middle school (...uh, war and peace), I've been debating over certain topics for a long time and my grades are above average.

Most definitely, absolutely, yes.

I don't mean to sound arrogant.  There are a lot of brilliant people in this world, but there's a whole lot more stupid people.  I think the average intelligence level is pretty low.  I think we're headed towards Idiocracy, honestly.  But I'd say that the average intelligence level on these forums is way higher than other places.  It's one reason I like this place so much.  And it's not just intelligence, but common sense, which is very uncommon.

img-2330601-1-7b162ab3abbadac1a3577969be

This may be the greatest thing in the world.

• Brohoof 4

Yes, with no qualifications or false humility or comments about the faults of IQ measurement.

When I look for intelligence in others, all I'm looking for is how quickly they can assess the significance of something, that they care about how the parts of a system work to produce results, and that they're not irrationally attached to forgone conclusions or beliefs. These people don't possess just the potential of intelligence, they apply it well to whatever extent their ambition reaches professionally, and academically.

• Brohoof 1

I believe i am above average, but I have a disability (nothing major, but I now have an excuse why my hand writing sucks.) that brings it down a little bit. I am very mature for my age and have a larger interest in learning than most people. (Please do note that school isn't the same as learning.)

Edited by Pinkieandsuch
  • Brohoof 2

Everyone around me is blind to their own constructed lies.

So, yeah.

But I do have problems of my own.

I believe i am above average, but I have a disability (nothing major, but I now have an excuse why my hand writing sucks.) that brings it down a little bit. I am very mature for my age and have a larger interest in learning than most people. (Please do note that school isn't the same as learning.)

School = Hell + Learning

Learning = Learning

YAAAY!

GOooo learning

also surrounded by immaturity, but that's been less prevalent lately.

• Brohoof 1