Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm already feeling disappointed about the movie...

ManaMinori

I'm extremely hyped for it, actually. I still have the notion that the movie will be the grand finale of FiM and that they'll go all out in it with a pretty epic adventure. I also think that, if it's indeed the final, Sunset will at least have a cameo in it since she's a popular character despite not appearing in the series proper. In fact, probably every character of some note would make an appearance in the movie.

At least for me. First off, I feel like the pony movie should have come much sooner than it is scheduled to be. Certainly not after 4 spinoff franchise movies, when FiM is the main moneymaker, and ahead of EqG in terms of popularity. And speaking of- I can't help but feel disappointed by the near certain conviction that Sunset Shimmer won't be a character in the grand pony movie, in spite of her awesomeness. (She needs to be in all the movies!)

Does anyone have disappointment about the FiM movie? Will it effect your going to see the movie when it premiers? Will it effect your enjoyment of it?

Are you kidding, based on the people who are working on the movie, it's probably going to be one of the best things to come out of the franchise. Feature length movies have a much longer run time, and thus structurally, this enables the writer/s of the movie to adjust for many common issues that FiM has dealt with since it's inception being an episodic, 22 minute run time series. Some of the most common issues that a longer run time can fix include pacing, and heel turns that are too abrupt. Of course pacing can easily go the other way due to padding, but luckily Meghan is writing the movie, and I'm much more for team Meghan rather than Josh Haber or any other writer currently writing for the series. Meghan has been their since the beginning, has extensive experience as a story editor, and has written many episodes that I would say are great to fantastic in her run. Not only this, but she fully embraced Laurens attitude and took it upon herself to keep the series going in a similar direction, with sincerity.

We're haven't even touched on Jayson Thiessen, who is currently directing the film. If you don't know a lot about Jayson, he took Laurens place as show runner during the latter half of season 2, and is credited as co-director from season 1 to the first half of season 5. If Jayson understands anything at all about FiM, he understands the tone and direction of the series. Some people have mentioned the odd direction of season 6 thus far, the most worrying criticism being unnatural feeling dialogue that's very precise and blatant. Through it's run, FiM sometimes failed to deliver complex and engrossing narratives, but it always succeeded at delivery and tone, thematically and technically (specifically the acting and writing). I'm not sure if this is due to VA direction, scripts, overall direction, or a combination of all these factors, but what has changed since season 5 that are obvious are two things specifically. Josh Haber is now the story editor, and Tim Stuby has been credited as Director along side Denny Lu. I don't think it's Denny Lu because he's credited as Director for the second half of season 5, and that portion of season 5 seemed fine to me. Now I'm not usually one to simply blame my feelings on an episode due to a writer or a director, as many other factors will go into my decision, but so far season 6 is failing to leave me with the same impression that season 5 and before have left me with. It feels like the show is trying to change direction, but it also seems to be ignoring some elements that made FiM, well, FiM. Perhaps it's me, and it's certainly too early to say for sure, but my bet is that due to  dramatic change in staff, this has (obviously) directly affected the show, we have less and less people who were originally involved in the series, thus the mindset has shifted somewhat.

I have high hopes for this movie, lot's of very talented individuals who have made FiM what it is are working on it, I expect good things to come from it. Here's to hoping!      

Edited by bamboozled321

Sunset not being in the movie isn't exactly a takeaway from what the movie could show us in terms of development and story, better to keep her in the Equestria Girls universe.

• Brohoof 2

The only sense of disappointment I expect is from people going into a My Little Pony movie expecting fucking Lord of the Rings instead of My Little Pony. Which this fandom has a tendency of doing a lot unfortunately

Yeah, there are movies more appropiate to take inspiration from, Like the Lion King, or Beauty and the Beast for example
  • Brohoof 1

The only sense of disappointment I expect is from people going into a My Little Pony movie expecting fucking Lord of the Rings instead of My Little Pony. Which this fandom has a tendency of doing a lot unfortunately

Trust me, i already see those guys.

Whoever is expecting a life changing event, will be thoroughly dissapointed.

• Brohoof 2

I simply do the same as I do with every other film, ignore the hype and the criticism and wait until the film comes out so that I can make an informed opinion based on having actually seen it instead of fixating what a few uninformed people are worried might happen.

• Brohoof 3

movie is dc close to coming out

Pony movie should've come before spinoff movies

And I'll retract my former statement. Instead, I'll say this- I'm not prematurely disappointed in the movie. (Because it nor a trailer is even out yet) I'm disappointed that -from what I've seen so far from the spinoffs and mybown nagging suspicions- that Sunset won't be in it.

Sunset is the main character of EQG, that's three movies total, isn't that enough? I mean if you want Sunset Shimmer and nothing else, there is another EQG movie in the making.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Does anyone have disappointment about the FiM movie?

That would be an obvious yes due to the questions broad framing. I assume that someone is disappointed with something about the film.  

Will it effect your going to see the movie when it premiers?

The timing of the 2017 Film will have as little effect as the timing of the Star Wars sequels had/will have on me, which is to say none. As long as the intellectual property is relevant, timing should have no impact. I mean, if they went ahead and released a new Generation 1 movie, would that impact your desire to see it? 

Will it effect your enjoyment of it?

Same same. The only thing that generally affects my enjoyment would be the production itself. If the film is good and invokes what I like about FiM ... I will enjoy it. If not, I won't. 

• Brohoof 5

Sunset is the main character of EQG, that's three movies total, isn't that enough? I mean if you want Sunset Shimmer and nothing else, there is another EQG movie in the making.

Not to be an advocate for sunset shimmer (As I think she's a HORRIFICALLY overrated character and dislike her engulfing the EQG series), but she wasn't the mane character of Equestria girls 1. She was the villain but in no way shape or form THE mane character of that movie, that was Twilight. She wasn't even the mane character of Rainbow rocks, more like a secondary protagonist, still slightly below twilight in importance.

Friendship games is the first one to TRULY revolve around her fully as the mane character IMO instead of just being very important.

• Brohoof 3

Not to be an advocate for sunset shimmer (As I think she's a HORRIFICALLY overrated character and dislike her engulfing the EQG series), but she wasn't the mane character of Equestria girls 1. She was the villain but in no way shape or form THE mane character of that movie, that was Twilight. She wasn't even the mane character of Rainbow rocks, more like a secondary protagonist, still slightly below twilight in importance.

Friendship games is the first one to TRULY revolve around her fully as the mane character IMO instead of just being very important.

I grant you the first movie, but as a villain, we learned and spent more time with her then we did either Nightmare Moon or Chrysallis. The second movie though, she is provably the protagonist! She's the focus character, she's the one with the arc throughout the movie, she's the one who has the emotional stakes invested with. Hell, the movie's perspective from the hero's side starts with her, not Twilight, she has to be called in BY Sunset.

Edited by Steel Accord

The brony fandom tends to have this trend of making a huge fuss before an episode is released or especially a film, they go and see it then 90% of the people who were ''disappointed'' before watching it turn into the people saying it was great. Just watch the movie then make your mind up.

• Brohoof 3

First off, I feel like the pony movie should have come much sooner than it is scheduled to be. Certainly not after 4 spinoff franchise movies, when FiM is the main moneymaker, and ahead of EqG in terms of popularity. And speaking of- I can't help but feel disappointed by the near certain conviction that Sunset Shimmer won't be a character in the grand pony movie, in spite of her awesomeness. (She needs to be in all the movies!)

Does anyone have disappointment about the FiM movie? Will it effect your going to see the movie when it premiers? Will it effect your enjoyment of it?

I think before we judge bout the movie we need to see it first

They say they might do things and they might not, but we're just forming opinions of things that we really shouldn't be yet, and if we go into it with those opinions, we'll never like it.

Really? That's all I've heard about it. It's after season 6 and after the EQG movies, and it's supposedly the end. Not much else they could do after it.

So this is bacically your opinion but there is no source? People keep repeating this is the end like it is a fact and I would like to know if there really is any sources that say this.

I hold no disappointment as of yet; the movie is in capable hands, though I believe people should keep expectations in check.

Saying that as much as I adore Sunset Shimmer and would love to see her in the movie; not having her in the film won't be a deal-breaker. FiM is bigger than just her. :)

So this is bacically your opinion but there is no source? People keep repeating this is the end like it is a fact and I would like to know if there really is any sources that say this.

Not an opinion, it's what I've heard. I do personally believe that gen 4 will end after the movie. I've seen people thinking that season six was going to stretch the series to the breaking point. They were wrong, but after this season and a movie, not much else could happen. Gen 5 could obviously happen after the movie (be surprised if it didn't).

Not an opinion, it's what I've heard. I do personally believe that gen 4 will end after the movie. I've seen people thinking that season six was going to stretch the series to the breaking point. They were wrong, but after this season and a movie, not much else could happen. Gen 5 could obviously happen after the movie (be surprised if it didn't).

So where did you hear? That was my question, if it was not an opinion you have a source then? I would like to see it.

The only thing that would disappoint me would be, if the Movie would look exactly like the Show, with no differences.

No extra Details, no better colors and shading...i mean, it doesnt really need to change that much, but if it looks exactly like the Show...than there is no really need to make a Movie...in my Opinion.

It should look a little better, as a Big Cinema Movie.

So where did you hear? That was my question, if it was not an opinion you have a source then? I would like to see it.

The little talk I've seen on this site about it said that the movie was the end. It's the only place where I do anything with people on the Internet, so it's the only place where I get my MLP information (mostly).

I'm disappointed that -from what I've seen so far from the spinoffs and mybown nagging suspicions- that Sunset won't be in it.

..Then why is the title "I'm already feeling disappointed about the movie"? Wouldn't "Sunset isn't in the film" or something be a better title since that's your only complaint? Cause other films coming out before it isn't even an argument. Either way, it's not like the film is going to be shit just because a character you like isn't in it. Now I have no idea who this sunset pony is because I haven't seen the show in a good while but chill out, I bet the film will be just as awesome without her.