Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could this be the finale of Generation 4?

P1nkiedank

I can't help but think, could this movie be the end of generation 4? It would make since, but I can't help but feel depressed that 2017 could be the last of this generation. It would make since that Hasbro would make the EqG spinoff series of movies and then finally title a finale with ponies and not humans My Little Pony. What do you think?

Could this be the end of Generation 4? Or even the entire series alone?

There exists the possibility that the G4 series will end with the movie, but there is no way that the MLP franchise will just end. It is too much of a money-maker for Hasbro. Another generation will follow.

But even if the movie ends G4, I trust that it will be for the best. There are only so many things you can do in a series before ideas run short and the show becomes stale and unenjoyable. Let it go out with a bang, not a fizzle.

• Brohoof 10

Maybe, honestly I'd be completely satisfied if the movie is the end of the series. I think MLP has been amazing throughout all 6 seasons (so far) and I feel like the movie would make a great conclusion.

Edited by Darkness Nightmare
  • Brohoof 4

I 100% believe that the movie is being shaped up to be the grand finale for the series and put a Cap on Friendship is magic.
THAT BEING SAID, I personally hope that, given the incredible success of both FIM and EQG that they won't do "generations" anymore but will do Reboots like what transformers does now: each transformer iteration now tends to be a reboot of Generation 1, more or less.

So it never truly "Ends" but just gets done again with feeling :P

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

I think there definitely will be another generation after this one, I wonder what mlp will be like when produced at a higher frame rate O.O because the frame rate gets better each generation as well as the graphics O.O

Edited by Rawzy
  • Brohoof 3

It does seem like they're sorta building the movie up to be some finale, and it looks like it's starting to become a good time to wrap up the current storyline. So I'd say it's a good probability that this is gonna be the end of FiM.

I hope it's not the last we see of G4, though. There's just too many good characters and too much lore to just throw away in the end. I'm hoping G5 (assuming they make it) is set in the same continuity as FiM.

On the other hand, didn't Jim Miller say they're going to keep making episodes as long as people keep watching them?

• Brohoof 4

THis is unfortunatly verry likely to happen, It might be for the best for the series itself aswell, seeing that the writers admited that they are running out of ideas. I don't hope it will be the end of G4 but every story has to end someday and I fear for MLP:FIM the end will be in 2017

• Brohoof 1

THis is unfortunatly verry likely to happen, It might be for the best for the series itself aswell, seeing that the writers admited that they are running out of ideas. I don't hope it will be the end of G4 but every story has to end someday and I fear for MLP:FIM the end will be in 2017

I'm curious, when did they say they were running out of ideas?

• Brohoof 1

I'm curious, when did they say they were running out of ideas?

it was at a con at the writers pannel, I forgot which one (I watched the VOD I have never been to a mlpcon myself

• Brohoof 1

I dunno, it seems kinda unlikely they would introduce a new mane cast member (Starlight) for what would be intentionally either the last or second to last season if the movie ends th series.

• Brohoof 1

I would hope so.

There is only so much mileage you can get from one show, and I think that it would be best for FIM to end right there.

Six seasons and a theatrical movie is a huge amount of time and focus to be given to a children's cartoon.

I am fine with how much it has already gotten. I don't think it needs any more.

Plus if it doesn't end with the movie, whatever MLP FIM's finale will be, is going to end up to be really underwhelming in comparison.

• Brohoof 3

Do we not have this Topic already enough times?

Im finding Topics with that question over and over again.

If the Movie is going to be successful, i dont think G4 would end.

But, honestly i dont really care.

My Little Pony will probably continue in some way.

It's been a while since it's been officially stated that there are enough ideas for G4 to last for at least 5 years, and by 2017, it'll be 2/3 covered before that if I'm not mistaken. Unless FiM suddenly stops giving cash to the big guy, it will, but I think there still round faced, short snout horses for a while after. They could make a spin off series with other characters, like the CMCs a bit grown up, but it would be prudent to end the Mane6's arch in my opinion :huh:

Possibly. Hasbro eventually will run out of ideas, because you can't develop characters forever. In G5, which I'm sure I heard it was confirmed, will probably have new main characters with a new story, but no way the characters from G4 are gonna go away. Some, if not all except Twilight in the mane six were in the previous generations of the show. Season 6 spoiler alert

Maybe G5 will be about Starlight being a student and then turn into an alicorn, but that's already a used concept.

But anyway, there will be a new generation, they just need time to think of ideas for the new generation after running out of ideas for the last one. Once the entire show comes to an end, it's alright, we still have brony made episodes and I want to make an unofficial reboot of it with PAC-MAN and my OC as the main characters.

Edited by gamecubeguy214
  • Brohoof 3

I dunno, it seems kinda unlikely they would introduce a new mane cast member (Starlight) for what would be intentionally either the last or second to last season if the movie ends th series.

Starlight just seems to be an attempt to cash in on Sunset's fanbase for pony merch.

I 100% believe that the movie is being shaped up to be the grand finale for the series and put a Cap on Friendship is magic.

THAT BEING SAID, I personally hope that, given the incredible success of both FIM and EQG that they won't do "generations" anymore but will do Reboots like what transformers does now: each transformer iteration now tends to be a reboot of Generation 1, more or less.

So it never truly "Ends" but just gets done again with feeling :P

I agree with this! But do keep in mind that while most Transformers Generations are essentially a Reboot of Gen 1 (Minus Beast Wars although I would like to see a reboot of it! It was pretty damn good!) do keep in mind that the teams tends to switch around a bit with Optimus Prime as leader and Megatron (and sometimes Unicron) as an antagonist. So IF the next Gen is to MLP as another Gen is to Transformers, I wouldn't be too surprised if Twilight stays leader with the rest of the cast switched around.

You have the possibility of a team made up of Twilight (The Optimus equivalent), Rainbow Dash and Pinkie pie as MLP's Bumblebee and Ratchet and a team made up of whoever else they can think of like Fleur Dis Lis, Derpy and Limestone.

Starlight just seems to be an attempt to cash in on Sunset's fanbase for pony merch.

Starlight is definitely a response to Sunset's popularity, there's no denying that. But regardless, you don't introduce a new mane cast member for a last season that you know will be the last season.

Starlight is definitely a response to Sunset's popularity, there's no denying that. But regardless, you don't introduce a new mane cast member for a last season that you know will be the last season.

Lots of shows have done it; in fact, introducing brand new cast members is often a sign that a shows about to die, since it usually implies desperation on the part of the writers to come up with something new. (like for example TMNT's finale season had Carter and lord dregg introduced and put April, casey jones and the shredder on a bus).

Brand new characters tend to imply an act of desperation on the part of the writers to reignite interest while also providing Low hanging fruit for character development (since they can freely "develop" brand new characters while they have to think hard to come up with new things to learn for established characters)

Lots of shows have done it; in fact, introducing brand new cast members is often a sign that a shows about to die, since it usually implies desperation on the part of the writers to come up with something new. (like for example TMNT's finale season had Carter and lord dregg introduced and put April, casey jones and the shredder on a bus).

Brand new characters tend to imply an act of desperation on the part of the writers to reignite interest while also providing Low hanging fruit for character development (since they can freely "develop" brand new characters while they have to think hard to come up with new things to learn for established characters)

Yes, but this would imply that season 6 will be the last season without it being intended to be the last season. If the movie is the finale is the intentional finale like some people are saying, then the writers would be trying to wrap things up this season, not introduce new characters.

Honestly, I'm sort of counting on that. As much as I like this series, all good series end at some point. They could keep the show alive for years to come, but would it remain good? I think ending the show when it's still strong is the best thing the writers could do.

For instance, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was supposed to end on Season 5. It didn't, and both subsequent seasons weren't as good as the ones before (with one or two exceptions). I'd rather end the series strongly.

• Brohoof 2