Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Trixie's show was a little unsettling... I guess?

TBlaze

(edited)

I saw this, but I also expected a happy ending where Starlight would save her, so I wasn't really worried. I must be weird for not worrying?

Basically I feel she was putting her trust in Starlight, that they really were friends even with that fight and that she would get saved, so she believed she wasn't in any danger. Certainly a suicide attempt, but not overly so, since she promised to do the trick in the show anyway. She believed in her friend, and that friend came through even after all that.

Also wasn't the manticore in on the trick? He bowed, so maybe he wasn't really going to fully chew her to death even if she failed to get saved?

Edited by bronislav84
  • Brohoof 5

Suicide attempt huh..Never really fully occurred to me. wow...just..Dang. That was a dark scene if starlight wasn't there. 

Honestly, after watching the episode last night, I never really got any sort of implication of suicide. Yes, Trixie was down and depressed over her actions and losing Starlight, but I really don't think it HAS to be seen as leading to suicide. Yes, I can see why people get that idea, but rather than trying to kill herself, I can't help but think she was hoping the trick was going to work regardless. She had plans of trying to make it work before meeting Starlight so I have to believe that was the plan from the start.

I saw it more as a literal leap of fate. You know, like when you fall back and trust the person in back of you to catch you? Trixie, in her heart of hearts, knew Starlight would be there for her.

• Brohoof 2

bronislav84, on 02 May 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

I saw this, but I also expected a happy ending where Starlight would save her, so I wasn't really worried. I must be weird for not worrying?

Basically I feel she was putting her trust in Starlight, that they really were friends even with that fight and that she would get saved, so she believed she wasn't in any danger. Certainly a suicide attempt, but not overly so, since she promised to do the trick in the show anyway. She believed in her friend, and that friend came through even after all that.

Also wasn't the manticore in on the trick? He bowed, so maybe he wasn't really going to fully chew her to death even if she failed to get saved?

He swallowed though. And ponies are tough chewing them might only disorient them enough to get swallowed. Him bowing could've been an older trick and is no sign that he wasn't trying to eat her, like that kangaroo taught to box that ends up beating the stuffing out of its trainer lol. Just because it seems professional doesn't mean its not still an animal.

• Brohoof 1

While I think you have a fair point here, I still don't think it has to lead to the idea of suicide itself. Granted I'll probably need to rewatch the episode, specifically the part where she is explaining the trick to Starlight, to get a better idea of it, but again, for suicide to factor in I need to believe that she even had an inkling was wanting to killer herself, and I just can't see it.

Yeah, Trixie was definitely down, but I don't think she had reached that point yet.

But the point is trixie has been down because of Twilight. She even says that.

(edited)

Whenever something like this or in similar manner is brought up, I'm usually on the side who says "you guys are taking shit too seriously" or "your seeing stuff that was never intended" or "you're looking way too deep into this"(like with Feeling Pinkie Keen)

This time though I find myself agree with those who saw the suicidal tendencies. The entire time during the sequence I kept thinking "is she actually gonna do it?" and "Man she really sounds suicidal here". I knew that Starlight was gonna help her regardless simply because of the kind of show this is, and I'm sure the writers never intended it to be there, but it doesn't change that the undertones are there, and fairly clear as day at that, especially if I can notice it in my first viewing

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I feel like she was just playing with Starlight, and the viewer, all along. Her story could totally be made up. It's Trixie after all. :wau:

I'd like to know how she got that Manticore if she hadn't plan it for quite a long time : She wouldn't be able to capture one. And it can't be Fluttershy since she was scared.

From here there are two things left to consider :

1 - She planned it before she met Starlight. I don't think you can find a Manticore and capture it that easily..

2 - Or, Fluttershy faked to be scared. First, because otherwise, it seems to contradict Episode 1. Also, it would totally be coherent with Fluttershy personality to overreact, hoping for her friends to be scared too. In this case, it seems okay to conclude it was all planned up, Fluttershy would have reacted when hearing that Starlight wasn't here for the show.

Edited by ConcorDisparate
  • Brohoof 1

Quite frankly I'm more disturbed she used a psychological attack to be friends with Starlight. Yeah the suicide implications are there but if Trixie was infact faking then that means she was psychologoverly attacking Starlight into being her friend.

That's a horrible way to start a friendship and is something you see in abusive relationships. Just ughhhh.

Yeah, that was sorta dark.  I guessed it was a suicide attempt, because thats just plain foolish. Who knows, if Starlight wasn't there Trixie would be doomed to a terrible fate.

I guess with the way cartoons are made nobody would ever die in such a gruesome way and sets aside any fear of such a death occurring. Just like how this cartoon effect plays out.

But the way Trixie talks about implies she believes it is dangerous and that is what matters. And it is not like there is not anything that is not dangerous in-universe.

I do not know really if the writers put this in intentionally. I think the suihke implications are there if you analyse but I feel they were going for Trixie is dedicated to show must go on. I do not really know.

But Twilight can not be blamed. She did not know Trixie had no plan to survive the stunt. It does not even seem she knew what Starlight did when Twilight was complimenting Trixie about the stunt.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Never saw anything dark about it. The manticore is clearly trained and wouldn't swallow her, after all. The worst that could happen is some booing from the audience.

Edited by Kimi Vulpine

If Trixie wanted to die, she'd have found a more peaceful way of doing herself in. Think about that for a second. We're talking about a giant animal that will either chew you up into bloody pieces, or swallow you whole so you can be digested alive. I don't care how suicidal you are. Nobody will make themselves suffer through either. It's just not realistic.

Never saw anything dark about it. The manticore is clearly trained and wouldn't swallow her, after all. The worst that could happen is some booing from the audience.

But the manticore did swallow her - you can see the bulge passing down his throat and he raps on his stomach, indicating she's down there. It's possible he could be trained to regurgitate her, I suppose. But I tend to think the deal she made with this beast is he gets fed either way - a reward of food if the trick works (no idea who what that could be) or he gets to feast on a rare delicacy - an actual pony.

If Trixie wanted to die, she'd have found a more peaceful way of doing herself in. Think about that for a second. We're talking about a giant animal that will either chew you up into bloody pieces, or swallow you whole so you can be digested alive. I don't care how suicidal you are. Nobody will make themselves suffer through either. It's just not realistic.

I'm not so convinced. Trixie's ego is such that she would want to go out in a spectacular fashion, in this case a trick gone horribly wrong. She would rest easy knowing ponies would be talking about it for centuries to come!

• Brohoof 1

But the manticore did swallow her - you can see the bulge passing down his throat and he raps on his stomach, indicating she's down there. It's possible he could be trained to regurgitate her, I suppose. But I tend to think the deal she made with this beast is he gets fed either way - a reward of food if the trick works (no idea who what that could be) or he gets to feast on a rare delicacy - an actual pony.

Welp. Didn't notice that. I still think it's a silly "theory", and saw the scene as cute rather than depressing/disturbing. But that's just me, it's cool that other people see darker subtext here.

I keep seeing folks saying that what Trixie did was effectively suicide.  And it felt that way to me too.

At first.

What I came to realize that it was actually a combination plate of things.

Trixie felt HORRIBLE for losing her friend - something she'd never really had before - and was feeling exceedingly sorry for herself (evidenced by her new show title before the performance), and felt as though she had no choice; after all, this was a 'forgiveness' tour - how much forgiveness would she think she'd have earned if she quit the show?

And though it sounds trite, the whole 'the show must go on' thing is far more important than you know to stage performers.  The show is what they've worked HARD to perfect and display for others - and from the look of that stage, this was something IMPORTANT to her - so it means more to an actual performer than their own safety, in many cases.

But the most important thing to take note of was her quick plea for Starlight to help her - THAT was nothing but PURE, UNADULTERATED HOPE... and hope doesn't manifest on a whim.  

My thought is that, despite the words she said about herself, she was still harboring hope that her friend would come to her rescue... and Hope makes folks do some REALLY STRANGE STUFF, if you think about it.  Trixie felt, IN HER HEART, that her friend would show up for her, so she went on with the show... and her hope was rewarded in the end.

I don't think it WAS a suicide attempt; I think it was Trixie, at her lowest point ever, putting faith in the magic of friendship.

Just my opinion; pay no attention to me over here.

• Brohoof 2

It was... think of the poor Manti.... He was just sitting there, waiting for his lunch, probably starving and then there it comes. He can literarly feel it as it enters his mouth, this would've been his first meal in weeks... but no... The food enters his mouth but never reaches his stomatch. Think about the poor animal... so close to his dream only to have it snatched. Thats like waiting for a great movie for years only to get a disappointment (LoJ)... I'm calling animal cruelty rye there...

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I think Trixie's performance was actually intended to be a suicide act from the start. The most obvious sign is that she already had the manticore, apparently she had it even before she met Starlight Glimmer. Second, the fact the tour's name was a work in progress up to the die of the "first" show. If she was planning on continuing, it seems like she would have put more effort into it, the name itself is pretty creepy in context. Third, the fact that was apparently the only act she planned for her show. Finally, in context even the spa visit is kinda creepy. Why does she need to be relaxed for? She's not a afraid of performing...

It is very dark, but Nick Confalone himself said he didn't intend for the episode to have those implications. I always assumed she knew Starlight would help her anyway since she wouldn't let her die even if she was mad or hurt.