Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Which is larger: Your physical or digital game library?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

This of course is applying to modern game systems. One discussion that comes up a lot nowadays is that the 'digital age' of gaming is upon us, with pretty much all modern game systems providing digital and physical options to purchase games, with PC using digital as a primary format.

So I want to ask, which is larger in your modern gaming collection? It can be for a specific system if you want to organize your answer.

For me, I will only say my Xbox One games. Currently, my digital collection is much larger than my physical collection. I currently have 24 Xbox One games in my physical collection, whereas my digital collection is vastly larger. Definitely putting that 4TB external hard drive to good use. :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Physical. I've purchased maybe 4 or 5 games digitally throughout my lifetime. I always prefer physical media. Why?

1. I enjoy having an actual copy of the disk and box art to display on my shelf
  2. I like reading manuals (though these aren't really a thing anymore) and looking at the box art
  3. I love that new game smell, and unwrapping the fresh shrink rap, and the excitement of picking up a game at the store and bringing it home
  4. In the event that online services such as Steam go down for whatever reason in the future, I'll still have my games

I will admit, however, that digital games are more convenient. Don't have to bother swapping disks around

Edited by Rivendare

My physical collection is much larger. This is mostly because I was a nintendo guy when I was a kid and I still have all those games, but I almost always buy physical when I can. I like buying tangible things and I'm not a huge fan of the idea of digital distribution. It's convenient, but you give up a certain amount of ownership/control for this type of content distribution.

Even though my preference is Physical, I've been finding myself going more towards having a larger digital library, which is especially useful for handhelds

Home console -> Physical

Handheld/PC -> Digital

On my consoles I have a vast majority of games physical. I prefer having the game because I like the display factor, plus digital while it has its benefits I feel I'm not 100% sold on as my primary means of gaming. The only digital games I have on consoles are ones only sold digitally and the freebies I am given via PSN. The only exception to this is a few 3DS games I own digitally because at the time of their release finding a copy was damn near impossible.

Digital by far, but that's mostly because I have a huge problem with impulse buying games and I'm just super lazy. If I wanted physical games I would have to get dressed and then actually go outside but with digital I can just get it and play it now without even leaving the couch.

I own more physical copies of games than digital copies.

I have 11 physical PS4 4 games, 6 physical PS3 games, 7 physical 3DS games, and 6 physical Wii U games. 

The only digital game I have is Rocket League on my PlayStation 4. 

Physical collection is much bigger since one, I like to actually own a copy of game I can hold in my hand and two, i only buy digital if I can't find a copy (or one doesn't exist) or the digital is much cheaper. Though, my digital collection is slowly gaining traction considering I just bought a slew of games off Steam. 

Most of my physical games have been given away or lost in time. 

At the moment, I don't actually have any physical games. All of them are digital.

Physical copies, guaranteed. I have a silver briefcase full of video game cartridges I've collected over the years. At best, I only have a single game in my Steam library.

My purchases nowadays are predominately digital. It's not because I prefer digital, but because I can't drive and don't often have the option for physical.

Physical. I've purchased maybe 4 or 5 games digitally throughout my lifetime. I always prefer physical media. Why?

• I enjoy having an actual copy of the disk and box art to display on my shelf
  • I like reading manuals (though these aren't really a thing anymore) and looking at the box art
  • I love that new game smell, and unwrapping the fresh shrink rap, and the excitement of picking up a game at the store and bringing it home
  • In the event that online services such as Steam go down for whatever reason in the future, I'll still have my games
I will admit, however, that digital games are more convenient. Don't have to bother swapping disks around

That last point is still true of physical games though. Your consoles can and will die eventually and buying new ones isn't always a viable option.

My physical library is bigger. I have a few digital games, but now I'm picky on what I get digital. Things like my PS4/Vita I don't mind because I could save the data to the online cloud (only with PS+), but when my original 3DS got destroyed, I lost all of the saved data I had with the games, which is the only reason why I have yet to beat Fire Emblem Awakening since I have to start it over from the beginning.

I think I have more digital games than physical games on my Xbox One. I don't really mind buying digital games especially if it's cheaper than the physical copy of the game. The only reason I care for physical games is for their resale value. That's pretty much the only reason.

Physical without a doubt with most of my digitally downloaded games being older ones because they don't take up as much hard drive/memory card space. I have gotten rid of a lot of games, but I still have quite a collection.

(edited)

I have something like 30-70 physical copies of games. Then 120 digital, then if you count my entire fam's games in this house the physical copies are more like 200 but that's counting like 70 nes games and stuff, not just modern. But then if you count emulation I prolly have like another 30 digital games.

Edited by Lil Pip

I've always had a weird soft spot for physical copies of games, seeing as how if something screws up with digital games, I at least have the comforting knowledge that my physical games were unaffected and perfectly fine.