Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

why so much Rainbow Dash liking and Rarity hatred?

Tarnation

rd or rarity  

54 users have voted

1. 1. who do you prefer?

• Rarity
    • Rainbow Dash
  2. 2. Do you like Rarity?

• Nope
    • Yes
  3. 3. Do you like Rainbow Dash?

• Nope
    • Yes

I know, I know there are like a billion topics about this. :okiedokieloki:  but i am actually analyzing this and telling you why those two make 2 amazing ponies. (even though I prefer Rarity :rarity: )

so as for Rarity: she might get all whiny, but it adds a touch of comedy to her. She might be obsessed with fashion but it is what she likes, after all. She really is generous, but only her dramatic behavior covers up that so not many people see that in her. She is smart and creative and she is loving. She has The Best Design and Really is cute and when it comes to friends, she wouldn't mind getting her hooves dirty even though she is a dirt hater. She also actually has some sense of proper presentation, and has a good heart. And one more thing........ DIAMONDS!!!!!!! :idea:  :idea:  

Rainbow Dash: yes, the pony who is full of herself. That only builds up her character and she cares for her friends. For what her friends do, she is unique and tom boyish, and she preferred tank because he was loyal in the end and she is cool. I like her color scheme and even though she might be all into sports, the thing amazing is she loves Daring Do books. Her love for flight is Awesome and how she helped Daring Do is just WOW. And if it were not for rainbow, and her love for flight and winning, Equestria would have Been Done with. and plus, sonic rainbooms look amazing  :dash:  :dash:

this, people is the reason both of them are amazing ponies.

img-2868106-1-171556%20-%20animated%20D-

• Brohoof 3

Personally, I kind of find Rarity as my least favorite, and as for Rainbow Dash, even though she's very popular, I think so far this season, she's getting too much attention. Hopefully, she'll appear much less of later episodes.

• Brohoof 2

i duno i mean i like every single character in the mane 6 for different reasons i think what it comes down to is rarity is a bit snobby and stuff in early episodes especially. another thing is fashion and all that isnt really popular with males and even females alot of the time so theres not alot of relatability meanwhile rainbowdashes thing is shes a cool and fast pony and i mean that apeals to alot of people really i mean i liek rarity dont get me wrong in the later seasons im liking her alot more

ughh probably because rainbowdash is, i quote "super ultra extreme awesomazing" -rainbowdash (misterius mare do well)
and i like both rainbow and rarity equally :P

I think Rarity's voice actor is the best on in the cast. Tabitha St Germain really adds her own touch to Rarity. Sure, Rarity is picky, and doesn't like dirt, and is a drama queen, and whines sometimes. But she KNOWS IT. And she can joke about it. That in itself is a very generous thing. The fashion thing is more of a gimmick, not the least thanks to Tabitha. Personally, I've never been a fan of fashion, I have never understood why someone else's opinion should dictate what I should be wearing, especially when fashion so clearly is for the higher social classes (and I am not), excluding people for being poor. And yet I couldn't choose any Mane 6 character over Rarity if I really had to choose (which, luckily, I don't).

​Simply put: Rainbow Dash is cool (like 20% cooler than whatever else is cool), she's a major show-off that actually has something to show off, and she can fly faster than the speed of sound, producing a cool sonic rainboom. Of the Mane Six, she's the most like a boy. She stands for action more than any other character in the show. She's born to win, full stop. She's a loudmouth and often gets away with it. No wonder that many bronies, especially the younger male ones, look up to her. Guess why many newfoals try to name themselves after Rainbow Dash on forums and/or give their ponysonas Dash's abilities. Plus, her six-coloured rainbow theme and her tomboyishness suggest that she's lesbian (no matter if Lauren Faust herself has denied that), and girl on girl is hot.

Rarity, on the other hoof: No male teen or early twen can relate to a vain fashionista. They'd rather relate to a pink party pony, a nerdy bookworm princess or a rough-'n-tumble country girl (no need to relate to the cute animal caregiver, you can just enjoy her adorableness). Rarity is easily the girliest of the bunch, even beating Fluttershy at this. She dresses up, that is, overdresses whenever she's given the opportunity, she wears make-up and false eyelashes, and she used to be afraid of getting dirty (down to small specks of mud on her perfectly white coat). If she's got a problem, and be it tiny, she falls into marshmelodrama mode while Rainbow Dash would go beat that problem. Rarity represents everything boys find lame and stupid about girls before their first crush (or before girls of their age grow boobs, whichever comes first).

I myself must say: Although Rarity might not be best pony, I find her the best of the Mane Six. Admit it, she's a looker. This girl is gorgeous, and she puts a lot of effort into not only keeping it that way, but actually improving it even further. She's a lady, and she knows how to behave accordingly. She's classy, but not stuffy or stuck up. She's got some of the best songs in the show. Plus now that she has got three boutiques, she might rake in even more wealth than Applejack with her orchard.

Oh, and she is RADIANCE (← link to weapons-grade beauty).

Rainbow Dash is an aerobatic athlete who can take care of herself on an awesome adventure.

Rarity is a bourgeois snob who does fashion.

Welp, my scale has been tilted.

• Brohoof 1

It based on what others thinks about them. Matching personalities, something they like about their looks, how each deal with their situations, etc.

I can't really give any precise answers for them. I don't dislike Rarity, and even if I rate her the lowest of my favorite, it doesn't means I don't like her, at all.

Rainbow Dash I really like. It almost seems like I can't give anymore reason why but she always seems the competitive type to stay on top. If she turns most of anything into a competition, then she's exactly why I love her. I could ask her for a no laughing competition for #1 spot and we'll be competing for a long time in fun games

Honestly when it comes to the Mane 6 I rate Rarity & Rainbow Dash as 1 & 2 respectively. I hold no hatred for either character and I would argue that they are possibly the two most well developed characters in the entire franchise; aside from maybe Twilight. Even counting her I would rate the fashionista and athlete higher.

• Brohoof 2

Both characters are two of the most dynamic on FiM. I really don't rank the characters much since it feels like a game of rock paper scissors at times. Obviously my favorite is Rarity, but I absolutely have a soft spot for Dashie. Both these characters, at least to me, feel the most human. Their flaws are ones I've struggled with myself so I can appreciate that at a personal level (even though I am probably closer in disposition and motivation to Twilight and AJ).

Either way, I love them both.

And the sense that Rarity is hated is honestly a bit overblown. She has a strong amount of active fans (especially here) and at this point the main complaint about Rares is more centered on her overuse than anything else (which I can understand).

• Brohoof 2

If anything I think there's been a Rainbow Dash hate band wagon since S2 whilst most bronies are appreciating Rarity's character growth. Personally I just prefer Dash but I think Rarity is actually a better all round character.

• Brohoof 1

I love Rarity! RD is still best pony, but I can relate to Rarity in quite a few ways, specifically her generous spirit, putting everypony before herself. But, I am tired of seeing so many Rarity episodes lately. She's gotten way more screen time than even Applejack.

I agree. These two make a great team. Both of their episodes ("Sonic Rainboom" and "Rarity Investigates") are two of my favorites, and I'd love seeing them together again in a future episode.

• Brohoof 1

I enjoy both characters. I still prefer Rarity because I enjoy her episodes more and I find her more relatable. Not the fashionista aspect of her character, just her creative, generous, and polite personality.

Oh, and at least Rarity's character arc has been done well. Rainbow Dash's Wonderbolt arc has been poorly handled by the writers.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 2

Rarity is more consistently well-written, so she gets the edge, but these are two of my favourite characters on the show. Rarity is perhaps the most consistently delightful of the mane six, and Rainbow has my favourite character arc. I'm a huge fan of their subplots, and for the same reason, too: these are two highly ambitious ponies who have finally come to achieve their dreams. They have a particularly high amount of potential for episodes, partially because of their built-in arcs and partially because of their dynamic personalities. And I want more episodes that team the two of them up, darnit!

I find it to be a bit silly, seeing how their major story arches about wanting to move up in the world and achieve their lifelong dreams, only to be willing to give up on in it due to their morals and the element of harmony they represent, for their friends can feel a bit similar.

Both are good, but Rarity is still the worst of the six. There really isn't much going for her. She has some good episodes and makes some funny comments occasionally, but that's pretty much it. Also, while I like vibrant colors, white is not something I like. It's just too bright and not very interesting. She's also the farthest from being relatable to me (Though AJ and Flutters aren't too far behind), which is a big factor in why I like characters.

Wait, there's rarity hatred? From my time on all the various pony sites, I find rarity is one of the LEAST  hated characters, while RD has lots of hateboners coming at her. She gets lots of love too, but RD is hated more than Rarity is IMO.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I find it really sad that now Rainbow Dash is more popular than Rarity. Even though Rarity and Rainbow hold the last two spots on my Mane 6 list, I've always found it hard to stand Rainbow Dash . She's just so self-centered and it annoys me to end.  She's had some good episodes in the past, whether it's teaching the Wonderbolts a lesson or taking Scootaloo as her adoptive sister, but I feel like those moments where she actually made me smile didn't last long and she quickly went back to the annoying self-centered pony I hate. And I personally don't like she ended up with the Wonderbolts. That just made her character worse. 

As for Rarity, I've come to like her a lot throughout the show. I can really see why she's so popular among bronies. She has been shown to be a bit self-centered as well but not to the extent of Rainbow Dash. She enjoys the upper class life of Canterlot, which I personally can't stand, but she still retains her kind heart and that makes me smile. I really like how successful she's become. And I also find it funny when she becomes dramatic. 

We have indeed had this thread in the past, and it still confuses me why Dash is viewed as a character who /doesn't/ get a lot of hate. Disliking RD and thinking she's overrated are incredibly incredibly common opinions.

Depends on where you lurk most often, I s'pose.

• Brohoof 3