Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Richest of the mane six?

cider float

Which of the mane six would be the richest?

I'm guessing Rarity. Even though Twilight is a princess she doesn't seem to be collecting any taxes or getting sponsorship anywhere. Rarity has a boutique in Ponyville, Manehattan and Canterlot. To be able to have all three shops she must be loaded. Not to mention she has bits to buy precious gemstones for decoration on clothing alone.

I would think Applejack would have the most steady business since Sweet Apple Acres is the main source of food in Ponyville. Applejack could come a close second.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly, I think Rarity probably would be the richest when it comes to personal wealth; I'd agree to that.

Though, sponsorship/taxes or not... I think Twilight would have access to royal funds, regardless of whether or not it was in her name, or if it specifically belonged to her. In that way, I think she'd probably be the richest of the six. :grin: But, it seems like it'd fall into being rich by a technicality.

I agree, I'm sure Twilight, as a princess, has a decent amount of income, but Rarity owns three high end boutiques in high end locations (other than Ponyville). So I would think she has the most money; I also agree that Applejack has a decent amount, but the farm money is probably being split between all the Apples that are working the farm and is also probably being used to repair farm equipment and all that...so I don't know that she gets to hold on to many of her profits. Meanwhile, fashion is usually made pretty cheap and sold really high, so yeah, Rarity. 

Pinkie pie can very be well off because she plans parties for everypony in Ponyville, help the Cake twins including assisting Sugarcube corner and working at the Hayburger balancing between her duties including her friends. She's not the most wealthiest but she does make up for having to work in different tasks and keeping a smile on too for her to live comfortably.

I'm going to have to say Rarity for this one. She owns three different boutiques in Ponyville, Canterlot, and Manehatten with each of them earning revenue from dresses sold to customers. Rarity gets that money--how she does remains unknown from the show's perspective--and uses it to make newer designs. That, or she has it tucked away in a nest egg somewhere.

Definitely Rarity, probably followed by Twilight and then Applejack (she has to share the farm wealth with the rest of the apples).

I imagine Fluttershy having the least money, but I doubt she'd care. As long as she has a roof over her head and Angel by her side, she's a happy lady.

I'll echo Rarity. I don't think any of them are bad off in anyway, and by all appearances they seem to be doing well for themselves... but Rarity has several businesses so I would imagine she has the most overall income coming in.

Applejack and Pinkie each probably have decent income coming in... although the bulk of Applejack's is probably more seasonal and tied to Zap Apple Jam and Cider sales for the most part.

Twilight I actually don't think gets  a lot of overall income, but being a princess, she probably gets offered the bulk of what she wants for free, because.. well, princess, duh.

Fluttershy and RD just strike me as living more day by day, although not struggling in any way, and being perfectly happy in that regard.

Rarity is best business pony other than Filthy Rich. She just doesn't shove her supreme business sense in your face like AJ does. 

(Rarity & AJ are my business pony heroes. :D)

Twilight's royal stipend is probably huge too. I mean the value of the castle alone must be more than the other mane 6 own combined. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm thinking Rarity and Applejack might actually be close to even. Rarity obviously has more liquid assets, that is, actual money, but Applejack probably owns a good deal of the land and other property going with the Sweet Apple Acres. So if you take the total value of everything they have, they're both most likely well off.

• Brohoof 1

have you seen the commercial rent prices? Christ Canterlot AND Manehatten must cost a bomb to run and maintain plus pay the staff, so Rarity must have the most money, not to mention how many gems she just gives away to strangers.

Twilights from an average middle class family, but I assume she gained a scholarship and some kind of student loan/grant to be Celestia's pupil, but now shes a princess so nevermind about money XP

Fluttershy's family are pretty normal and they get by with her Dad's cloud factory salary, theyve had enough to support Zeypher but i imagine he can be a drain on finances at times. Id assume they gave Fluttershy money for her cottage but no idea where her income would come from.

AJ's family are good business ponies and they make enough to get by and just run the farm, theyre not rolling in money though.

Dash seems to have the most impressive house in Ponyville, but no idea where her income wouldve come from either apart from paid weather work. although she was quite high on the list, maybe a manager of some sorts? but now shes a wonderbolt which I guess pays well.

Pinkie Pie makes enough for rent in SugarCube corner but I guess shes a bit of a freeloader. Her family was likely the poorest of the mane six and since shes not made enough to get her own place, i guess shes just a lodger with the Cakes. 

• Brohoof 1

While Rarity and Applejack probably are the richest on their own, I'm going to say that Twilight probably has access to the most wealth. For one thing, her family is implied to be very high-status--her parents live in Canterlot and her brother was captain of the royal guard before becoming a prince, suggesting that they were the equivalent of nobility. Plus, you know, she's a princess and probably has access to the royal treasury or the equivalent. The sheer number of books she has cannot have been cheap either (although she probably got them for free from Celestia/the Canterlot library, they still count as an asset).

Hard to tell. For example, Rarity does have a store and even had the bits to purchase property in two other cities, but I guess she would save money for that. Twilight? She has access to some royal treasury or something, or at least she still is technically a librarian, no? Fluttershy, she doesn't have a real job, well besides being an occasional vet, but she has money for all the animal food and stuff, where it come from? Dash, well, did you saw her cloud house? It's a freaking MANSION. I mean, she clearly has money... Pinkie pie, she has worked at sugar cube corner, but I think she burns everything into party stuff. Applejack, she has the monopoly of apple as well as exclusive products like cider and that rainbow jam, but I guess a huge far cost money to maintain. I'd say either Dash or Twilight because Dash seems like that kind of person who is rich but doesn't tell anyone. And Twilight, well, we never saw her spending too much, only quills and stuff like that, so perhaps she saved a massive fortune... I dunno... 

In any case, I don't think either of the mane six will become broke. They secured a steady income and can count on the others in case of emergency... Lucky ponies

• Brohoof 1

Well Twilight is a princess, so I would assume she gets a lot of money through taxes, but Rarity is a pretty successful business owner with three boutiques. So it would ultimately come down to those two as the most well off.

Applejack probably has a pretty sturdy income, but between her apparent financial troubles in "The Best Night Ever" and the simple fact that she probably has relatively high expenses, she might not rank all that high. 

Rarity probably has the highest net worth of the lot, given her seemingly fairly successful fashion business, with Twilight or Rainbow Dash possibly coming up second depending on exactly how their occupations work. Does Twilight raise taxes or just receive a stipend? How much of that income does she actually keep personally and how much does she spend on her book addiction social programs? 

Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash is a Wonderbolt, but what does that mean, earnings-wise? Is it more comparable to performance groups or the military? Can she receive sponsorships? As for her house, I'm still unconvinced that it's not a pegasus apartment complex. 

It's almost certainly not Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy, though, as their occupations both seem to be relatively modest compared to their friends. 

• Brohoof 1

Twilight might have royal funds, but that doesn't necessarily means it's "hers". It means it belongs to all four princesses and anyone who works for them. Rarity on the other hoof, she made all that money on her own because of how successful her business empire is. Rarity seems to be the best choice in this regard.

Now that we know about the Mane Six, how much money do some of the secondary characters make? Do the CMCs have allowances? Does Spike get paid for his job at the castle, or anything else he does? How much does Cheerilee make? Does Zecora make money for her potions?

So who's the richest among the secondary characters? ;)

• Brohoof 1

In terms of personal wealth it's probably Rarity, but Twilight kinda muddies that up with being one of the monarchs of the nation. I mean, she probably isn't sitting on a huge vault stuffed full of bits that she can swim in, but if she decided one day that she wants a, say, skyscraper built in Ponyville she could probably clap her hooves and make it happen.

If we define "richest" by physical money available on hoof, that's probably Rarity. If we define it by ability to obtain stuff (of any kind and scale), then Twilight's likely in a league of her own with the other princesses.

This comes up now & again.  IMO

Fluttershy is the poorest.  She raises chickens & so has eggs +  feathers.  She is also a pet whisperer (Trade Ya (S4)) + gets some community support for her animal shelter (Milli Filli (S4)).

Dash is probably lead weather pony.  IMO, this is civil service (like the post office) + probably not too well paid because most Pegasi can do this (sort of = to assistant manager at a fast food joint)

Pinkie is an assistant baker + party pony (how much does she get paid for that? anything?)

AJ has Sweet Apple Acres.  Big farms are big business.  Family farms are a small business & all small businesses have their problems

Rarity has 3 stores, but clothes are a luxury item for ponies.  Still, IMO either she or Filthy Rich is the richest Pony in Ponyville (not that that's saying much, it's a pretty small town)

Twilight is the wild card.  She is a princess & has a castle but how much financial support is that worth?

• 3 months later...

Twilight is probably the richest due to her status as royalty. I'm sure Celestia gives her a pension to keep the candelabras burning. 

Rarity is probably the second richest She has income coming in from three different shops. She's essentially a franchise owner. 

Rainbow Dash is probably third. As a member of the Wonderbolts, I'm sure they pay very well, as any sports team does. Even the third stringers probably are paid decently. 

Pinkie Pie are likely tied. Any of Pinkie's income goes back into rent to the Cakes and party supplies. Fluttershy's money from her pet sitting and grooming business definitely goes back into upkeep for her animals. 

Applejack is the poorest. As a farmer, all of the Apple's income goes directly back into the farm.  And her entire income depends greatly upon a good harvest. It's come up several times in the show where Applejack is worried for her harvest because she and her family are so dependant on it. 

Edited by CT-1138