Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's Your Favorite Science?

Lucky Bolt

Back in high school, I took a meteorology class that I actually really enjoyed. Granted, I have not remembered everything from it, but I remember finding it quite interesting. The teacher I had for it was also very helpful, so that made things even better. Nowadays, however, I am studying veterinary medicine and eventually step up from being a veterinary assitant to a veterniary technician.

• Brohoof 2

For me, I'd say astronomy, biology, meteorology, and learning about animals are my favorite sciences to learn about. I used to love reading about those topics and trying to learn it all at school, since I found it to be quite interesting and a bit exciting to learn about. :fluttershy: I used to be a lot more obsessed with astronomy and meteorology when I was a kid, and into biology and animals later on because of school, although, it's been a while since then, so I don't remember as much as I used to. :please: Though, whenever I can, I still try to look online for sources where I could read more about these things and to pass the time. I'm also pretty interested in other sciences that involve the human brain since it's a mysterious organ that not much is known about but responsible for so much in our lives.

• Brohoof 1

I like meteorology the most. Weather and climate has always interested me, but I suppose it could also be from doing this thing called scio for liek, 3 years

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love plants so my absolute number one favorite is botany. I'm a green thumb person.

Geology is my second because the Earth has so many interesting physical features.

Lastly, I'm interested in Climatology because combined with geology and plants, it goes hand-to-hand to finding where and how plants grow based on the two I'd mentioned above.

• Brohoof 1

As an engineer, I am rather fond of Physics, Material Science, and I have a curiosity for psychology. I grew up with Bill Nye and the Magic School Bus, so it wasn't hard for me to love science!

• Brohoof 2

As an engineer, I am rather fond of Physics, Material Science, and I have a curiosity for psychology. I grew up with Bill Nye and the Magic School Bus, so it wasn't hard for me to love science!

*honk honk* SEATBELTS EVERYONE! 

Only show to ever really jack me up for understanding the natural sciences.

• Brohoof 2

Chemistry was my favorite subject in high school, and I am a pretty big chemistry nerd. It's just so amazing how everything in this universe works the way they do just because teeny tiny atoms (or electrons to be precise) collide just right. So, I just have to go with chemistry.

I'm also interested in psychology. Human mind is fascinating, and psychiatrist was my childhood dream job. Astronomy is interesting too, but I don't have too much knowledge about it.

• Brohoof 1

Everyone who knows me knows that I'am a chemistry freak as fuck. I mean there are like 81 differemt eöements you can play with ^-^ And so many colours, take three electrons from chromium, and it's super dark green, but if you take 6 electrons away, it's a bright yellow-orange! *-*

Oh and organic chemistry, you're like a molecular architect there, you can connect different molecules with different reactions in order to make bigger and BIGGER molecules, it's truly magic <3

Actually there's more than 115 elements. Some are manmade and a few require a particle accelerator but even without it you have 90 naturally occurring elements to play with. There are 81 or so elements which are non-radioactive in its most common isotope though.

You'll need to be a bit clearer on the chromium part, though. Chromium is used for many pigments, beyond green and orange, but "viridian" pigment is chromium (III) oxide and orange pigment is lead chromate treated through a basic solution to turn it from yellow to orange (you won't see modern artists use it).

I'm taking psychology right now, so I'm going to have to say psychology is my favorite science. I'm considering a job where I can help drug addicts deal with their addiction in the future, by the way.

Environmental sciences, without a doubt! As an environmentalist and avid "naturelover"/hiker, the environmental sciences really intrigue me.

Followed by geology and astronomy.

Geology, Glaciology, and Volcanology interest me because of my interest in mountains, volcanoes, and glaciers. We have lots of mountains, glaciers, and volcanoes around where I live (which is in the lovely Pacific Northwest).

Edited by ElementalFluttershee

Chemistry, biology and Psychology. But mainly Chemistry, since I'm better at it than the other two.    

Actually there's more than 115 elements. Some are manmade and a few require a particle accelerator but even without it you have 90 naturally occurring elements to play with. There are 81 or so elements which are non-radioactive in its most common isotope though.

You'll need to be a bit clearer on the chromium part, though. Chromium is used for many pigments, beyond green and orange, but "viridian" pigment is chromium (III) oxide and orange pigment is lead chromate treated through a basic solution to turn it from yellow to orange (you won't see modern artists use it).

I'm taking psychology right now, so I'm going to have to say psychology is my favorite science. I'm considering a job where I can help drug addicts deal with their addiction in the future, by the way.

I just explained that with the chromium super simplified, with the yellow/orange part I meant chomate/dichromate/polychromate:

Potassium chromate: K2CrO4

post-40262-0-16868200-1484344689.jpg

Potassium dichromate: K2Cr2O7

post-40262-0-74094200-1484344726.jpg

Chromium trioxide: CrO3

post-40262-0-09135000-1484344776.jpg

There you can see some beautiful colours ^-^ but the orange lead chromat thing is actually new to me O.o, the formular is Pb2CrO5, so it's an othochromate (I honestly didn't know that this exists...), but normally chromates are yellow in basic solution and orange/red in acidic solution.

And with 83 elements I meant these which you can find in rasonable amounts in nature (and play with), which is everything from 1 (hydrogen) to 83 (bismuth) except 43 (technetium) and 61 (promethium) plus 90 (thorium) and 92 (uranium).

Chemistry ftw. I went to the library a couple days ago looking for a book on trains, ended up finding a book about the periodic table and thought "eh, it might be interesting I guess". I thought I would read it once and then get bored, but instead I spent this entire day studying chemicals, what makes them up, what forms molecules, how molecules are named, and reading the book cover to cover.

I might be more obsessed with this than I am with trains tbh .-.

• Brohoof 2

Why physics of course :) !

Then there are all of the specializations:  Electromagnetism, optics, special relativity, quantum mechanics and nuclear physics.

359ml2g.jpg

No, really, how do they work.

Once saw someone joke about this, then went into pointing out that not even Quantum Mechanics can articulate how magnets work clearly.

• Brohoof 1

No, really, how do they work. Once saw someone joke about this, then went into pointing out that not even Quantum Mechanics can articulate how magnets work clearly.

It depends on which kind of magnet you are talking about.

Electromagnets are fairly straight forward in terms of theory.  The Biot-Savart law flat out states that an electric current will generate a magnetic field proportional to the length and strength of the current and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the electric current, much the same way as a charge generates and electric field.  A magnetic field will then produce a force on any other currents in the vicinity, including the electric currents of other electromagnets.  The underlying math is such that coiling a wire will produce a magnetic field along the axis of the coil along within the interior of the coil.

Its once you get into ferromagnetism and permanent magnets that quantum mechanics come into play.  Charged particles generate magnetic fields both from their intrinsic spin and their angular momentum, the later which include electrons in p, d and f orbitals.  This will give some atoms a net magnetic moment.  If these magnetic moments can be aligned then they will generate a net magnetic field.  In ferromagnetic materials like iron these moments will align to an external field and the ferromagnet will then be attracted to the source of the magnetic field.  In permanent magnets quantum mechanical exchange energy results in the magnetic moments of the atoms being pre-aligned so that the material always generates a magnetic field.  Such a material then behaves much like a coiled electromagnet.

Edited by Twilight Dirac
  • Brohoof 2