Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

William Shatner is in season 7!

trademark2

Equestria Daily just posted a confirmation! I am so excited for season 7 now, it looks like it will be great. They are still signing big names to come voice act!

William Shatner played captain james T. kirk in Star Trek (which I need to watch)

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 4

Well, this is certainly kind of a surprise. :o

I must say, i was always a big fan of the star trek original series from the 60s, eventhough nothing comes close to the brilliance of next generation, but the original series has a charm that will never be matched.

Shatner is one of those actors that is kinda bad, but you still can't help but love him. He always makes these awkward pauses whenever he talks, or the way he says "Spooooooock" :P

Eitherway, i am interested to see how they use him. :)

• Brohoof 6

The true wet dream would be in Patrick Stewart, William Shatner, and John DeLance were in a n episode together. Or maybe Will Wheaton, Brent Spiner and John DeLance... My Little Startrek: Pandering is Magick!

• Brohoof 7

Yes! This is fantastic news! Doubtful Shatner will have the same level of personal involvement John de Lancie has developed with the fandom -- but so long as he hams it up something fierce, I'll be more than satisfied.

• Brohoof 3

Yes! This is fantastic news! Doubtful Shatner will have the same level of personal involvement John de Lancie has developed with the fandom -- but so long as he hams it up something fierce, I'll be more than satisfied.

It's William Shatner we're talking about here.  He's the master of over-the-top acting.

• Brohoof 3

It's William Shatner we're talking about here.  He's the master of over-the-top acting.

He's also the master of unlocking!

True. There's a good reason why he's on this trope page.

• Brohoof 2

Obviously his character has to be INCREDIBLY Hammy or else what's the point? I mean you don't go to Shatner for a normal performance you go for the most over the top ones possible. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 3

This is going to be interesting. ^_^

With his posts on twitter over the past couple of years and seeing as he is Canadian, I figured it would probably happen.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

I wonder what kind of character he will end up voicing? We all know what kind of acting range William Shatner has had over the decades so hopefully the writers were able to utilize that range, but I do hope they don't go with anything hammy otherwise it would be a waste of what seems to be a perfectly good opportunity. If John DeLancie can voice in the same episode as Shatner, the geek-out moments will be unprecedented.

• Brohoof 1

"These are the voyages of the starship Celestia. Its continuing mission: to spread the message of friendship to other worlds, to seek pals in new civilizations, to boldly go where no pony has gone before!" 

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 1

Was not expecting an announcement like this! While I won't expect it to drive up hype, it must surely add something. It's amazing the star power that a show labeled "My Little Pony" has attracted, and I must say I am blessed to be a fan. :)

• Brohoof 2

I honestly cannot imagine Shatner voicing any sort of character and making it sound all that good. Like some have mentioned I hope it is something with Discord though where it can be more of a fun and kind of hammy off the wall episode. I think he could excel at that.

I honestly cannot imagine Shatner voicing any sort of character and making it sound all that good.

He has done voice acting before, he was in 'The Wild' and 'Over the Hedge' among others.  Of course how good or otherwise those films, and his role in them are, is another discussion altogether.

• Brohoof 1

He has done voice acting before, he was in 'The Wild' and 'Over the Hedge' among others.  Of course how good or otherwise those films, and his role in them are, is another discussion altogether.

I worded that poorly. I was actually referring to voicing a character in MLP alone, and not an animated film in general. He has a very particular way of speaking that may or may not translate to the show depending upon the episode. I certainly hope so, since I think it could work really well in an episode that takes advantage of this.

William Shatner in My Little Pony.

This might possibly be the finest match since they (likely accidentally) got John DeLancie!

Consider. If you will. The following:

Willy Shat is some grade A ham! Irregardless of what he does or how he does it, I don't think any of us can deny that it's going to be heck of a lot of fun! And that's something the show likes to do.  As we've seen with Cheese Sandwich, when this show uses a clearly recognizable voice from a celebrity they rather play it cool. Mr. Cheese was a character in his own right, even if you hadn't the faintest idea of who that voice belonged to, you still saw the character as its own stand-alone and you only really made the connection afterward if you'd look it up to go "Huh, they really do act alot alike." This show doesn't make a point of parading who they got to their audience to brag about which famous actor they've bagged.

Shatner may be the sort to chew the scenery, but I've seen him star in Family Guy to a botched foreign retelling of Puss in Boots to writing his own Star Trek book series! Whatever he's in, it will be good!

IF they do get Patrick Stewart (and he's voiced in American Dad, just as clearly with Shatner I think it's very clear that he doesn't so much care as what shlock he's put in, so much as he's having a good time. Something that really increases the chances of his being in our show!) it will almost be confirmation of what the episode would be! The three of them together in something vaguely Star Treky! Which if they did, they certainly wouldn't make it well known they had gotten Stewart too, because that'd be pretty much giving away the episode!

Thing that does concern me though.... Shatner was known for playing a role that involved alot of wooing of females of different planets. Aaaand we're sort of putting him into a world where its 90% female....   I smell Hijinks!

Another thing that worries me... Is if they play much on the relation he might carry with Discord also being a voice from the same series...........

You think Shatner may play another Draconequus? Considering his penchant for an annoying, hammy voice that would SO fit another Draconequus... I could have sworn this show would never dare try unraveling the absurd story behind the Draconequui!

If nothing else, if these writers are concerned with too knowable of a voice distracting you from feeling like this might actually be a pony, that's easily fixed by making him a Draconequui, a being that doesn't apply to suspension of disbelief.