Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What has been the worst family/friends get together you have been at?

Reecejackox

As we have had one about dates , thought I would start one about family and friend get togethers and the worst ones you have been to , whether that be out for dinner or a night in with family or friends

I think the worst one for me was at Frankie and Benny's , my brother ordered a chocolate cake which he didn't eat and my mum was I'll so we had to leave early.

I once had three people stay over at my place for a sleepover. Wound up being an pretty unbearable night with one girl ending up hiding in my closet and crying (she's actually my best friend to this day, one of the girls was just being absolutely horrible to her, turns out this girl was also harassing her behind my back because she wanted to get closer to me). The third girl wrote about how much she hated life because we didn't want to play Rock Band 24/7. Honestly there were so many bad/awkward moments I wouldn't be able to list them all. 

Omg... Um, soooo there was Christmas back in like, '03 or '04. I was watching TV with my cousins upstairs when we heard shouting. Rushed downstairs to find my uncle screaming and holding a gun to his own head. :')

Most of my family get togethers in Bolivia were crap.  If I have something that I absolutely hate is: do nothing. Well, my role at those get togethers was just stay there, be displayed by my parents for my achievements, and occasionally being asked invasive personal quesions so they can find something to ridicule me behind my back, plus my family is mostly  of low education, and I was lucky to have signal over there. The only good thing was the food back in the day, but now no one dares to makes a decent barbecue because it became expensive. 

A bad experience that springs to mind was an MLP meet up I went to at the recommendation of a friend, who was to join me on site. I joined a group of six other people (4 guys and 2 girls) to hang out for an afternoon. Shortly after, my friend called to say she was unavoidably detained, which left me by myself with a group I hardly knew. For some reason the girls hated me and I still don’t know exactly why. Most of the guys thought I was just ‘pretending’ to be a Pegasister because ‘girls like me’ aren’t into MLP (whatever that means). The one guy who didn’t show outright resentment hit on me most of the time in a pretty crude way. Even though this group was not typical of the Bronies and Pegasisters I’ve met since, I’ve made it a rule NEVER to do meet ups again. :angry:

6 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

A bad experience that springs to mind was an MLP meet up I went to at the recommendation of a friend, who was to join me on site. I joined a group of six other people (4 guys and 2 girls) to hang out for an afternoon. Shortly after, my friend called to say she was unavoidably detained, which left me by myself with a group I hardly knew. For some reason the girls hated me and I still don’t know exactly why. Most of the guys thought I was just ‘pretending’ to be a Pegasister because ‘girls like me’ aren’t into MLP (whatever that means). The one guy who didn’t show outright resentment hit on me most of the time in a pretty crude way. Even though this group was not typical of the Bronies and Pegasisters I’ve met since, I’ve made it a rule NEVER to do meet ups again. :angry:

That's terrible. The ones I met up with in the past were much nicer.

• Brohoof 1

Not sure if it counts, but my brother and I were sent on spring break vacation to my grandma in San Diego.  It was good for the most part, except one day when we were out, somehow a political discussion started, she turned around and threatened to take us to Mexico, driving us through one of the smaller Hispanic towns on the way, saying "This is what your home town is going to look like if something isn't done!" 

I always knew my grandma was a bit off kilter, but that took it to a whole nother level. Suffice to say my mom was not pleased with this and that soured her already rocky relationship with her. We wouldn't visit again for another 7 years, and even then it was for an evening rather than a week. 

Most family reunions used to be pretty tense, due to our family struggling over power. But that was before most of them passed away.
Now there's berely any semblance of one, it's not like this is any different for me.

Then there's friends and meetings, all average, nothing too special. They're usually more excited about me joining.

I'm not very experienced in dealing with other human beings directly, though my work involves helping them. It's not personal, so it gets kinda awkward when it comes communication, since part of me is always aware of the results to most actions.

If anything, I tend to be the strange element. Inside is this vast space, silent, clean, well-attuned, seeing them through and noticing all kind of destortions, making them what they are, this is life.

I linger on this imperfections, loving them for what they are. Because without them, they simply couldn't be what they are. All of it, is life. Every moment equal, every moment unique.

I don't dislike/hate my famliy never but not fond on get together we had it every Sunday Night. My dad always gets in mood, like food, and other things like my brother. (And my brother argue back sometimes). My dad not horrible person he just get moody and grumpy. Also he's old.

Holidays back in 2010 I think it was, flew back to the coast to be with relatives. Everybody was snarly and mostly treated us like a bunch of rednecks, couldn't wait to leave. Ironically a good chunk of them have died since so I guess it was good we went there lol

I remember the family reunions we used to go to when I was young (like, very young). I don't know why... but I just didn't enjoy myself at any of them. :maud: The people weren't assholes or anything, but I just... didn't enjoy myself, you know?

I didn't particularly enjoy last Thanksgiving. My dad was out of the country and I was deposited with my aunt and uncle in California. They are nice people but still strangers to me and even though they treated my really well, I wasn't comfortable living under their roof. Just a matter of mismatching personalities I guess. Thankfully my cousin invited me to come live with her instead and we get along great. Now I'm her permanent roommate. So it was like a bad situation that had a silver lining. 

It must have been 2009 after I came out to my sister. A lot of my family was together one day, and in the same car. My sister who had affirmed me that she was supportive when I came out to her was now in the car with the rest of my family making subtle remarks and subtly making fun of me in a way that I couldn't respond to because I was not out to most of my family and any frustration from me would just be "uncalled" for you, know.

My relationship with my sister hasn't been the same since. I try to avoid her, even when coming to see my nephew. She probably isn't the same person she was back then, but she has never apologized or supported me in any way since.

This is really gross but the worst family situation must have been the time when I suddenly got sick at my grandma's house years ago. My family and me were there visiting and having a pleasant evening, at least until I suddenly got a weird stomach ache and cried about wanting to go home. The source of the ache showed itself not so long after as I suddenly felt very sick and threw up more than I'd ever done. The bathmat in my grandparents' bathroom was so filthy that it had to be tossed away. :eww:

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

basically every get together with my family goes like this for me:

I go in there and sit down quietly

after like 1h or something of quiet sitting my mom gets me a juice or something

i sit back quietly

after 2-3h of that we go back home

the end.

I dont participate them anymore.

Edited by Manaka Hitomi

i was playing Halo: the MC collection on legendary with a friend. To those of you who don't know, on person is always the attacker, they go and fight the hordes of aliens head on. The other is designated sniper, they hang back and murder the enemy from afar, they also serve as a revive station. Whenever it was his turn to serve as the sniper, he would never stay put and always followed into the heat of grenade happy aliens with aimbot and we died again and again for hours. We bickered back and forth for a while before he got angry and left, we haven't spoken in weeks.

The moral is, Halo on legendary ruins friendships. just like monopoly 

Pretty much any family get-together from my mom's side is usually very awkward and little boring for me.

My family is predominantly Hispanic on my mom's side, and many of my relatives on that side of the family speak Spanish and have black rotting teeth. Ew, I know :eww: 

I also don't know many of my relatives very well because there's just........ so many, like second cousins, great uncles who I haven't seen in years show up, relatives of my great-grandpa who I didn't have much of a relationship with to start with, and just a crap ton of many other people who are apparently my relatives show up. 

I don't hate any of them....... I just don't feel very comfortable around them, because they're practically strangers. 

• 1 year later...

Well when my grandparents died, my aunts were arguing over the inheritance and my uncle started making up how much some of my grandparent's lands were worth.  The family drifted apart after that, we were slowly yet surely uninvited from a lot of stuff.  Didn't see my cousins anymore which sucks because I remember the times where the whole family would get together and I think not being together with everyone was harder than the inheritance issues were.  This was all on my mother's side of the family since I don't really know my other side of the family that well.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of years ago, my family and relatives had a Christmas get-together, however upon arriving, I was freaked out by how many people were there, so I ran away. I just walked around the street having no idea where I was going, but I was also listening to pony music to entertain me. Later, when I got caught by my parents, I just hid in the car and watched MLP until they left. Ever since, I have never been to a family get-together again.

• Brohoof 2

Not that long ago. My aunt had my mom and a few other of her sisters over and I was invited for lunch. 

They all ganged up on me about not having a significant other. I should’ve immediately walked out right then and there. Vultures.

Edited by Stone Cold Steve Tuna
  • Brohoof 1