Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Accents: Best & Worst?

Prometheus

Accents have always been unique, in a sense that they can easily allow someone to determine where somebody was born/raised, and generally in some cases give you a sense of their overall background. Which begs the question:

In your opinion, which accents are the best? And which are the worst?  

Being a Scotsman, my accent is... distinguishable, to say the least. :D

So with that, tell me what accents you personally think are the best, and which are the worst.  :orly:

• Brohoof 5

I love a good Scottish accent if you ask me or Irish also and English.    French is also nice,   but sometimes when you get a heavy Chinese accent, it can be hard to understand people or middle eastern.  

• Brohoof 3

I thought my accent was very recognizable, although, I've been told mine isn't really strong.
Now, I believe the Italian one is pretty unique, and whenever Italians speak English, one can immediately guess their origin.

The thing I consider the funniest about Italian accent is that, despite we Italians all have different ones in each region, we all get to speak English the same way.

There's no need to say I consider this one of the funniest and the best.:D

• Brohoof 2

I've been told in past people generally enjoy my accent, by members of these forums.

Now, I don't really think there is such thing as bad accent, it's barely a thing you can influence. While I absolutely adore Irish, since to me it sounds so jovial, I absolutely have major issues in understanding Indian accent if it's not face to face.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I love Russian accents.

I have a French, Romanian, and Russian accent at the same time. It's cool. And confusing for my friends.

The worst for me are Indian accents.

Edited by Sondash Studios
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I really like the british accent.along with its mannerisms. Especially in some old period movies/series

As for worst. I won't say any as its bound to offend somepony eventually

Edited by Lord Valtasar
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

(First I must say I am not counting my own accent because...
Well, I'm just naw gonnie dae it so deal wae it!)

Best: Spanish, Russian, @King of Canterlot's sort of generic American Accent, Southern US, Aussie, Irish!

OK: Canadian (eh! {sorry 'bout that Canadians}), Chinese, Where ever in England Russell Howard came from's accent, Northern and Southern English accents (sometimes)!

Sort of untrustworthy: Indian (don't want to sound racist so no reason)

Worst: Japanese (I don't want to get banned), Korean (too squeaky), Some others

Edited by Sherbert Music-Guard
Forgot Irish!
  • Brohoof 3

I'd probably have to say the English have the best accents, may not agree with a lot of their laws and such, but man I could listen to them talk for hours. Same applies to the other British nations, and the Aussies.

For middle ground I'd have to put my own people's accent, the Americans. To me it just sounds so plain, but its fairly diverse depending where you're in America. I'd also put Mexican/Spanish, and Japanese accents since I listen to them quite frequently. Nice accents, but not as good as the ones above.

As for worst, maybe India... I've not had the best relationship with Indians and their constant telephone scams. Plus they're pretty hard to understand at times. No offense to any Indians out there.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Southern US accent is the best accent in my opinion. It's all I ever hear, living down here in the south. I just love the sound of it, and over the years I've picked up on it a little in my voice. Whenever I'm out of state people tell me I have a very slight southern accent. I guess I've lived here too long! :P

Canadian accent is the worst one. :laugh: Not that I'm saying anything bad about Canadians. It's just that...well, y'all sound funny. "Eh?":P

I should also mention the Australian accent is another good one. I just love how they talk. :laugh:

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

I love British, Russian, Irish and Australian accents, but all in their own way.

British: There's just something so great about it, I could listen it for days, more British = better. I don't know why, I just love it. :3
Russian: The badass accent, 'nuff said. :P 
Irish and Australian: They are just fun to listen. :twi:

worst?
I don't know really, I don't know that many accents, maybe those that are really hard to understand, if there is any. :please:

• Brohoof 1

I don't have a accent but whenever I say some words, the accent just comes out.  It's annoying since people keep asking me to repeat it. 

I misread: 

favorite accent: most European

Least: a=American..we sound boring. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

As much as I like any language spoken well, I like all accents spoken well. Each language has a unique sound and rhythm that sounds like a different kind of music to the ears. It's really hard to narrow it down, but the first ones that come to mind are British, Irish and Scottish. They're all so unique and beautiful. I could listen to someone with that kind of accent all day. I wouldn't even care what they were saying as long as they kept on saying it. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

I have an Australian accent myself. I'm not quite sure on which one I like the least, but my favourites are the Scottish and British accents. I just really like the way they sound.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I honestly do not know what accent I have. Some say that Canadians have no accent, but we do; if someone "has no accent", they still have one nonetheless. Are Canadians/Americans that center of the universe then? :P

Anywho, I was born in England, and I had a slight English accent for many years. (I have lived in Canada since I was an infant.) These days, I have a Canadian accent, but every so often, people guess that I have an accent of some kind.

My favorites?

1. Southern (not "too southern"; ie with a mix of middle/northern American in there)

2. Scottish

3. British (or mid Atlantic)

The worst? I cannot/will not say. Doing so would be quite racist of me.

Edited by Melody2222
  • Brohoof 1

As fer mesef, gawt me wunna dem dar Applejack accents. Reckon ahm about as fahr Amurican as eh feller kin get! Just wit' as much book larnin' of a vocabylarry as ah I dew, maght reckon it rubs off a smidgen bit pre-tense-us!

For anybeing who says Americans don't have an accent, watch humor Anime. American English has a habit of sounding like your bellowing out demands, overreacting or about to end every sentence with "Ya Chumpbiscuit!"

"WHERE IS LAS BATHROOM!! ...YA CHUMPBISCUIT! ...WHY DONT YOU AMERICAN, OH! Mah! GAHD!"

American is likely second only to German for its unintended aggressive cadence.

Speaking of cadence, Scottish is absolute verbal gold! There's Mad Munchkin on YouTube who does mostly pony videos, but I've also found myself tuning in to a radio preacher solely because of his accent. If Dragons had an accent, it'd be Scottish! Somehow, maybe just with me, but Scottish can't seem to dip below the sheer, Liquid Manly Awesomeness of Sean Connery!

It's like the Maud Pie of accents! I am so a Scots weeaboo!

...an Irish is pretty cool too! 

Quantifying worst might be as tricky though. I would say Portuguese. It's one of those languages that are heavy in guttural & slurring sounds & I can only imagine how bad that converts were you try to speak some other language you aren't used to.

• Brohoof 1

Oi luv me ol fashand Wes Countray accant. Propar fermer's lan talk.

AKA that accent you hear all through Hot Fuzz. I love it, the proper West Country countryside accent. Not so much the city/town folk ones as they just butcher it into their own ones. I suggest you avoid hearing the Bristol and Plymouth accents. They're the worst.

I kinda like the Auusie and New Zeland Accents too.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

I really like a light British accent. Not like a heavy Welsh accent, that's too much for me, but a touch of English accent is nice. :laugh: I'm not sure if you all know what I mean, though. :adorkable: 

A very heavy Japanese can be funny but gets annoying really quick, same goes to Chinese and Korean. I live with enough of them to know. :unamused: Anyways. :D I don't hate Middle Eastern accents, but they can be hard to understand as well.

Edited by Wannabrony
  • Brohoof 1