Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do most fathers hate the idea of their daughter being in a romantic relationship with someone?

AlicornSpell

No, most fathers deep down would love it. A lot of it is fathers being worried they aren't "the right guy" for their daughter and won't treat them right

• Brohoof 3

On 8/15/2019 at 5:56 AM, AlicornSpell said:
Most fathers do seem to hate it whenever their daughter starts dating guys. So it seems that most fathers don't want their daughter to ever find love.

Must you fall for the cliche overprotective father thing? My dad wouldn't hate me (even if I was his daughter instead of his son) for finding love; he simply wants to make sure I don't rush into a relationship. There's a difference

• Brohoof 1

Unlike most of the ones posting, I can see where @AlicornSpell is coming from. I've been dating for a year and my father still hates the idea. He can't be reminded of that fact, he has previously called my boyfriend names and has no desire to meet him. I don't think most fathers are like this though, they may just care for their daughters so they don't end up in a bad relationship.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I've been dating the same guy for whole year and a half now, and my dad still hasn't gotten over the fact that I have a boyfriend. :mlp_laugh: But honestly I don't think he ever will. He likes the bf, he just doesn't like the fact I'm growing up. 

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, that is the stereotype, isn't it?  At least that's how it is on tv, anyway.  If a dad has a son, it's always, "My son had his first kiss?  My son has a girlfriend?  Yeah!  Atta boy!  My son, the ladies man!  Way to go!"  But if a dad has a daughter, it's always, "WHAT?  My daughter has a boyfriend!  Not on my watch!  Where is that bastard!?  I'm gonna kick his ass!  He'll regret the day he ever laid hands on you!"  Just one of the many, many, many reasons I hate being male.  We're portrayed as the villains.  And that shouldn't come a surprise I suppose, considering that nearly all violent criminals happen to be male.  The bad ones ruin it for everyone.  I just hope that most fathers irl don't fit this tv stereotype.

• Brohoof 1

While it is a common stereotype that isn't indicative of the general populace...sadly enough, there is a reason the stereotype does exist. Some fathers are like that. Hell, I know one! Always boasting that "my daughter better not be coming in with a black man or anything like that; the Bible forbids it" and nonsense like that. While the cliché is quite tiring in media...it exists for a reason, sadly.

• Brohoof 2

I think it's more that fathers / mothers want to protect their daughters from the wrong kind of guy, rather than objecting to the idea in itself. There are a lot of jerks out there, I'm sure no one will be suprised to hear. Teenage brains are not exactly the most discerning decision makers either, so a parent could understandably be concerned about his / her daughter's hormones making the decisions for her, and her falling for a boy who ends up being a mistake and an eternal regret. Then again, perhaps that boy will grow out of his youthful.... youth and end up being an equal member of the relationship.

And what about the converse? How do mothers feel about their son meeting and interacting with women?

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Kamii said:

Unlike most of the ones posting, I can see where @AlicornSpell is coming from. I've been dating for a year and my father still hates the idea. He can't be reminded of that fact, he has previously called my boyfriend names and has no desire to meet him. I don't think most fathers are like this though, they may just care for their daughters so they don't end up in a bad relationship.

No offense, but your dad seems like he's being very immature about it. The way that he is acting is very unnecessary and extreme. 

• Brohoof 1

I can only speak from my step father and my mother's ex partner.. But usually families around here tend to be pushy. 

"Do you have a boyfriend??", "when will you start looking for one?", "familyfriendsson1 is a really nice guy, I think you'd get along great! *HINTHINT*"... They want you to get with one of their coworkers kids usually. Blahrg. 

I only had a boyfriend once and actually kept it secret from my family to avoid annoying questions. Plus it didn't last long anyway. 

This is true for a good amount of fathers but it’s not true for every father. I am not a father but I assume it’s because they just don’t want any harm coming to their child and wishes to protect them through sensitive life stages, such as when they start to date. My dad was and still is nothing but supportive of me dating. My mom is much more iffy of it than him.

• Brohoof 2

As a actual real life father .... I’ll just sit back and read the comments on what fathers in general are like with respect to this. At least for now. 

I will say that most decent parents (irrespective of gender) tend to be suspicious of those people who associate with their child(ren) 

• Brohoof 1

Fathers do want their daughters to find and experience true love and be happy in their lives. Having a protective attitude based on knowledge of young males should not be misinterpreted as selfish or uncaring. There are a lot of young, immature males who are out for one thing and it’s important to watch out for them. Dads are trying to protect their daughters’ dignity, happiness and safety. I can think of worse traits.  

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
On 2019-08-15 at 10:08 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

If a dad has a son, it's always, "My son had his first kiss?  My son has a girlfriend?  Yeah!  Atta boy!  My son, the ladies man!  Way to go!"  But if a dad has a daughter, it's always, "WHAT?  My daughter has a boyfriend!  Not on my watch!  Where is that bastard!?  I'm gonna kick his ass!  He'll regret the day he ever laid hands on you!"  

Pretty hypocritical since that's someone else's daughter that his son is dating. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
It seems that fathers usually hate it whenever their daughter gets a boyfriend (even if the boyfriend is a good guy), and it seems that they often hate the idea of their daughter dating, and many fathers seem against the idea of their daughters dating. There are even shirts made for daughters that say "I'M NOT ALLOWED TO EVER DATE" and shirts made for fathers that say "Dads against daughters dating".

There's also a lot of other shirts and merchandise made for fathers that say stuff like "Rules for dating my daughter: #1. You can't!" or "Before you date my daughter, know this: I'm a dad with a shotgun, a shovel, and a backyard."

Most fathers don't want their daughters to have anything to do with boys outside of being friends. Many fathers won't allow their daughters to date when they are in high school or still living with them.

So it seems that most fathers don't ever want their daughters to find love and be in a romantic relationship with someone, and so it seems that most fathers do want their daughters to be single for their whole life. 
Edited by AlicornSpell

• 2 weeks later...
It’s more of a desire for the father to see the daughter young and happy. Most fathers will find their children “adorable” and “innocent” and don’t ever want them to stop being adorable and innocent. What I find is that, parents often want to protect their cold from potential dangers to their innocence, such as the internet, or “dating”. Especially with woman, the father might see this as a potential threat for their daughter, as who knows who the person they are dating could turn out to be. It’s more of a general father kind of thing, and sometimes motherly thing, to want to protect your child from danger. So, that’s why the whole “father not allowing daughter to have boyfriend” thing comes from, I believe.

Dating and marriage are dangerous and are a reason why romance and falling in love is a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...