Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Characters you disliked, but later liked.

CastletonSnob

8 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Have you ever had a character on the show that you didn't like at first, then grew on you?

The "Great and Powerful" Trixie instantly came to mind. 

• Brohoof 1

Limestone Pie. Didn't like her at first, but now she is my favorite Pie sister.

Also, speaking about things beyond the show, Tempest Shadow. When I saw her for the first time, I hated her design and expected an edgy OC-like creature, but she turned out to be my favorite MLP movie character in the end.

• Brohoof 2

Trixie comes to mind, I disliked her in season 1 but later on I started to like her(her shenanigans' with starlight helped a lot), by now I will say she is in my top 10 favorite characters.

I was kinda neutral on rarity in the first season or so but later on I started to like her a lot.

And cozy glow as well, she was one of my least favorite villains by season 8s end, but in season 9 she really grew on me, I would even say I like her more than chrysalis and tirek now.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hmm. MLP characters that you disliked, but now liked? Interesting question.

In my opinion, for the main characters, I would say Pinkie Pie. I don't hate her, but I wasn't a big fan of her, either. At first, she's kind of annoying, but then later throughout the show, her character really grew on me.

Secondary characters? I would go with Starlight. I was disappointed with her reformation since I though she's a really interesting villain. Her post-reformation from Season 6 was eh to me. But then I watch Season 7-9, I gain a lot more respect for her.

Other characters? I used to hate Gilda and Diamond Tiara, but then The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone and Crusaders of the Lost Mark happened, now I like them a lot more (espisaclly Gilda). Same thing with Sunset Shimmer( except I tolerate her).

A lot of people can point out Trixie, but to be fair, I don't really hate her from the very beginning.

Edited by JMTV99
  • Brohoof 1

Maud Pie and King Sombra. Just Maud Pie and King Sombra. Maud took me some time to appreciate and realize what her debut episode was actually trying to say. Sombra, I could not have cared less about him after how disappointing his debut was before I gradually grew to love him after reading his story in the comics. Would you believe there was a time I didn't like these two? :maud:

(edited)

Easy, Sunset Shimmer. She was a garbage villain in her debut with one of the worst redemptions ever, who only had her backstory and looks going for her, but they salvaged her so well in Rainbow Rocks that she quickly became the best thing about EQG

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 7

I started off not liking Rarity for her cliche snooty, vain demeanor, but I quickly realized there was more to her than that, and now I appreciate her for many reasons.

• Brohoof 3

Not necessarily from the show, but Sunset is my first pick. She was a very cliché villain and was all over the place in EQG 1. I'll give huge credit to the writers, because they managed to turn it around completely and made her into a very enjoyable character.

• Brohoof 1

Sunset Shimmer. The exact moment I changed my mind about her, was in one split second scene. When she was transforming into a She Demon Monster, I noticed that she was crying. I knew then that she could be saved.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Cagey said:

I started off not liking Rarity for her cliche snooty, vain demeanor, but I quickly realized there was more to her than that, and now I appreciate her for many reasons.

Same here! She was my least favorite main character when I started watching, but now she's one of my favorites.

• Brohoof 3

Well there is coming only one character to my mind: Trixie. She annoyed me at first and later not so much anymore. Still I really don't like Trixie too much. I also have to say that this would have not been possible without Starlight.

• Brohoof 1

Starlight is a character I downright despised for a while. Later I eventually got to "toleration" level and that's as far as she became in my view. Her introduction was terrible. She was made into a total Mary-Sue right out of the gate and her reasons for such awful actions were petty at best, totally insane at worst. Then of course she had the most laughable redemption after nearly destroying everything. Her personality got so much better later and her relationship with Trixie was nice, but the previous issues and her being forced on us in the season 7 finale, all I could do is tolerate her and little else. 

• Brohoof 4

• 3 months later...
On 2021-05-04 at 3:08 PM, Oleks said:

Limestone Pie. Didn't like her at first, but now she is my favorite Pie sister.

At first, I wasn't sure whether I liked Limestone, but as the episode progressed, she quickly become a favorite. 

Same with Pinkie. She's easily one of the most feminine of the Mane 6 beyond her aesthetic. Despite being really grating in some episodes, she's a damn fine baker and comedienne. 

Gilda. I admit, I was not looking forward to seeing her again even though I had no problems with her first appearance. I thought she would sink further in "Lost Treasure of Griffonstone", but did she ever turn herself around. 

And yes, I've also grown to like Sunset Shimmer. 

Edited by Sasoriman

• 9 months later...

Rainbow Dash. In the very beginning I hoped she wouldn't even part of the show. But I'm glad she is, I like how caring and supportive she can be, especially towards Scootaloo and she had funny and cute moments. :)
Applejack and Rarity as well. The former had the rivalry stuff with Rainbow Dash going, something I generally don't enjoy in shows. Applejack and Rarity were awful towards each other in Look Before You Sleep and ruined the night for Twilight.

And Twilight was just annoyed early on. Annoyed characters make me feel annoyed as well. :ButtercupLaugh: She couldn't just accept the Pinkie sense at first and was most of the time just groaning and grumbling.

And that's it, only those four. They all improved already in season 1 and the last 1/4 of this season is so much more enjoyable! :fluttershy: But I don't feel this way anymore. After knowing all seasons and how all characters really are, I don't mind the early episodes and watch them from a different perspective.

It's also just something the show teached me already in season 1 and 2, to accept everypony with their flaws. But they really improved though. Normally I always have my favorites in shows, the nice ones, and stick to them. But FiM is different and they all are likable. :wub:

• Brohoof 1