Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did you ever think you were going to be a brony?

Paleopony

Before you actually watched the show did you somehow expect that you would be a fan of it? Personally, I didn't think I would ever like MLP. I actually expected to hate it. Now, ironically enough, I've seen all of the episodes and I even have lots of MLP stuff and am planning to get more! :kirin:

• Brohoof 3

I thought the concept of being a Brony was ridiculous. I took my sweet time to watch the series as well. Internet pushed me to try it out eventually. So no. I considered myself a fan of MLP from past generations, but not because of G4.

• Brohoof 2

Oh sure of course I was already a fan of many shows and cartoons back then. I knew of the show and had watched it long before I knew about bronies. Simply I would watch a show and be a fan of it in my own way mainly that is by watching it. When I learned of bronies I was not exactly surprised I was in fact happy to know there were others that enjoyed the show as much as I did haha.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

In 2011, I noticed several users online changing their avatars to MLPFIM characters. I thought it was done ironically at first. I tried watching the very first episode.

"Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria..."

I stopped the video.

Though I did not expect I would actually like the show, the art style of the show was still quite appealing to me. I distinctly remember seeing someone's signature that had a screenshot of Fluttershy holding her breath but the signature was made in such a way that it looked as if she ate part of the image.

I think I tried watching it again a few weeks later and I ended up watching the entirety of season 1 over three days. I do not quite remember what it was that made the show very appealing to me, but perhaps, as mentioned, it was the appealing art style and the likeable characters.

Huh. That was almost a decade ago.

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 1

I cringed a bit at the first two episodes my first time watching them, so definitely not. :fluttershy: Even before that, I remember the parodies of MLP on Dexter's Laboratory and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and always believed it would just be something for me to laugh at. I would never be able to believe this franchise would allow me to experience something unforgettable. :Tempest:  

• Brohoof 1

I enjoyed the Powerpuff Girls as a kid and it was a few of my friends who got me introduced and got me into this. I knew nothing beforehand so there wasn't an expectation of anything beyond the reputation of the previous mlp generations. Those friends are not a part of the Fandom anymore funnily enough.

• Brohoof 1

Definitely not, I have a thing where my interest would constantly jump from one franchise to another so I can't really expect what I would and wouldn't enjoy, let alone MLP.

Plus I wasn't exactly interested in MLP as a kid

Absolutely not. I actually chuckled at people who were bronys back in high school (don’t worry I didn’t bully them or make fun lol.)

I watched it for the first time awhile ago to see why in the world people liked it, and well, by the first episode it made total sense.

A lot of the stuff I’m into besides MLP is very adult-oriented, heavy, emotional, hard-to-grasp stuff, so MLP is a really nice contrast for me. :)
Also, from what I’ve experienced, the community is really nice!

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Paleopony said:

Before you actually watched the show did you somehow expect that you would be a fan of it? Personally, I didn't think I would ever like MLP. I actually expected to hate it.

Yes. If I though I would disliek the show, I would not have watched it. For me to go through the effort of downloading some episodes and watching them I have to think that I am going to like it (and sometimes it turns out that I don't). I never go dowlonad something thinking "this is going to suck, let's watch it".

Now, before I found out about FIM, did I think that I would like MLP? Probably not, because G1 and G3 looked like something I would not like.

I actually had no idea about the fandom before I started watching. I kept seeing cute colorful ponies posted here and there, but didn't pay much attention until I saw the "Flutter-Guy" clip. I literally started watching because I didn't know if it was really from an episode, or a strange fan-dub. I got hooked after episode one and two.

• Brohoof 1

Never. Not in a million years. :blush: Me and my pal in primary school were as anti-brony as anti-bronies can get. :twismile: We loved to watch YTP at the time and ponies would always turn up in them, driving us mad. He now finds it hilarious that I've since become the very thing we used to mock. :ButtercupLaugh: The next time we see each other, I may play an episode for him. :rarity: I think Return of Harmony would be a good one to start with. :ooh:

• Brohoof 2

Definitely not. I had always dismissed it as just another lame little girls' cartoon. I knew that it had a fandom, but I couldn't fathom why grown men would enjoy such a show.

Of course, that judgment turned out to be completely wrong. Now I've been an MLP fan for four years, and I couldn't imagine not being one. ^_^

• Brohoof 4

Never in my life. I never imagined that I would end up crying lots of times watching the show and loving the ponies so much. :rarity:

It really is a mystery.

The thing with the brony fandom is that I met the dark and weird part of it since the beginning and that bad image got stuck in my head for a very long time. I remember that sometimes I would even call them the worst and most toxic fandom ever. I truly misjudged everything.

Years later here I am... very happy to be here, honestly. :mlp_icwudt:

And it isn't the first time, it happened with other fandoms and other things I said I never would do or watch as well. I wonder when's gonna be the next time that I'll have to swallow my words again... :toldya:

• Brohoof 3

I didn't even know what a brony was until awhile after I became one, but that was because I hardly ever browsed the internet back then. But I would have never thought I would come to love MLP. I thought of it as something that little girls loved and I was far from being interested in it, until I actually watched it.

• Brohoof 2

the intended audience was always little girls :P and maybe collectors of 80s brand paraphernalia, so no - until the internet phenomenon I didn't think I'd get sucked in. Glad I did though :3

• Brohoof 3

Nope.  I remember the earlier generations when I was a kid and didn’t have any interest in it. 

I never expected a G4 to come out, and it be as good as it was. 

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I wanna say yes, but at the same time I thought I'd never like it. 

For time I heard of bronies was 2014, and I thought it was cool. and even if I didn't check it out until late 2015 the seed was already planted. I just needed some confirmation bias that this show would actually be worth the watch. My only experience with mlp was gen 1/gen 2 as my sister watched those and I did not enjoy those; however, I did notice that fim looked visually superior imo. 

It took about a year and a quarter to finally get that confirmation bias but yea it was a long time coming that I would eventually check out this show. It was on my mind like "i'm gonna love this show. I could feel it." 

Edited by Miss
  • Brohoof 1

I've never thought about it to be honest. I knew about this show and that it has a large adult fan base for some years. Never had the time to check it out, but I was also not judgemental about it.  But I can tell you I was and am still surprised about this show and its quality, the topics it contains, story, character you named it.

• Brohoof 2

On 2021-07-16 at 8:20 PM, Splashee said:

I thought the concept of being a Brony was ridiculous. I took my sweet time to watch the series as well. Internet pushed me to try it out eventually. So no. I considered myself a fan of MLP from past generations, but not because of G4.

I always like My little pony Friendship is magic before becoming a brony 

maybe because I  was always was a brony before my little pony friendship is magic

I have no regret of becoming a fan of my little pony friendship is magic

• Brohoof 4