Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why doesn't Applejack get any love?

Jesse20

Look at the rest of the mane 6. Rainbow Dash is over the top egotistical and focused on "coolness", Pinkie Pie is Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle is ludicrously organized, Rarity is of course being a drama queen... and then you have Applejack. She's played much more subtly and realistically. In a highly cartoonish world, she seems to fade into the background.

Applejack tends to be reasonable and has her act together. Twilight can also fill this role, but she's too nervous and obsessive much of the time. It makes it look like Applejack has no flaws and thus isn't interesting.

Me, I think that Applejack's status as a "perfect pony" makes her a very fascinating character for what we see bubbling under the surface of all that. One example is her repeated (Applebuck Season and The Last Roundup) fear of disappointing others or letting them down. Rainbow Dash also has a fear of failure, but in Sonic Rainboom she is a blatantly obvious shivering pile of nerves. It's a no brainer that she's insecure. Applejack, on the other hand, keeps her issues under wraps. You know how people say that Rarity is full of contradictions? AJ has them too. Element of honesty, yet sometimes she can't even admit the truth to herself. Seemingly straightfoward and open, but often hides her problems.

Applejack has a lot on her plate. As far as we know, she's the parental figure of Applebloom, along with Big Mac and Granny Smith, and may not even have a living mom and dad. She also takes a big part in running Sweet Apple Acres and has to worry about money a lot more than her friends, aside from Rarity. The fact that she's got things so together is impressive, not boring. Why this doesn't count as being as "cool" as Rainbow Dash is beyond me. 

I think that Twilight probably has the fewest dedicated fans out of anypony. Might be the "meh" reaction to her "main character-ness". I never see her at the bottom of lists like Applejack, though, so maybe that's why AJ seems unpopular.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 9

Fluttershy - personality disorder

Twilight -  I can't remember what th psychological term for it

Rarity - seems to be learning toward greedy in some episodes.

Pinkie - breaks forth wall and lots of randomness

Applejack - " southern farmer who believes in oldschool values which includes being stubborn

Rainbow Dash - athletic tomboy

Trixie - speaks in third person and have a massive ego

I just don't find aj's personality as interesting as the others.

"stereotypical ____ who _____" can be used in every argument about why each of them should/shouldn't be liked.

Just think about it - they have the egocentric jock, the shy social anxiety girl, the hyperactive one, the teacher's pet, the one with the accent, and the perfectionist/snob.

Each of them are stereotypical, so why should her being a "southern farmer" be the only argument against why she's not as liked?

Take the Last Roundup for example- she actually ran away and got a job just to avoid admitting that she lost. Is that typical of all southerners? Is that a farmgirl thing?

That's her own personal attribute and I do agree with her being more basic, but being a southernbell has nothing to do with it, or at least I don't believe it should.

I think that Twilight probably has the fewest dedicated fans out of anypony. Might be the "meh" reaction to her "main character-ness". I never see her at the bottom of lists like Applejack, though, so maybe that's why AJ seems unpopular.

It's hard to like a character who just wants to be the "perfect pupil" and please her teacher, because I don't think a lot of us have that kind of figurehead to admire/respect to her extent xD But with her voice actress, I don't think she's totally ignored either.

Edited by Dazzle Doo

She doesn't have any flare to her that the others have. Pinkie and Dash have the most merchandising because they're the eccentric, outgoing ponies who steal the spotlight whenever they do something. Twilight is loved because she's the main-est character, sort of. Fluttershy's cuteness gets her ass-tons of fans. That leaves Rarity and Applejack as the least advertised and arguably with some of the least love.

Applejack specifically is arguably the most mature, and has the least problems of her friends (Twilight, Pinkie and Fluttershy go crazy, Dash gets obscene stage fright and Rarity's face shows up in the dictionary when you look up 'dramatic'. Meanwhile all Applejack has done in comparison is get slightly silly when she was stubborn and got no sleep) but that's unfortunately not something popularity cares about, when it comes to mass-scale.

I know we have this discussion somewhere...

• Brohoof 4

Applejack - stereotypical southern farmer who believes in oldschool values which includes being stubborn

Hmmm....

- Big family sense

- Lots of pride.

- Overconfidence bordering excess.

- Biggest fear is disappointment about her from others.

- Will not let others go without help, but will not let others help her.

- Most level-headed alongside Twilight.

- Expert at her job as well as the others.

- Is a great athlete.

- She as well can't escape the opposite points of her Element.

I dunno about you, but a lot of those things could make anyone attracted to a character. I would find it sad if only a matter of mental "OMG WHAT THE HELL?!" things is the only way to get captured by a character.sad.png

• Brohoof 6

maybe because Appleajack doesn't have anything "fresh" to offer.

• Twilight: She's the main character (this alone is a default for her to be favorite), she's always featured doing awesome stuff and more screen time during season premieres and finales. She's makes awesome looking spells. She smart and OCD, the fandom can relate to that a lot
  • Pinkie Pie: She can break the 4th wall, you will never know with what she'll come up with.
  • Fluttershy: She cute, adorable, beautiful, kind and shy. The perfect girlfriend of many bronies, she can take your D'AWWWWWWS without even trying.
  • Rainbow Dash: She's the most lesbian least feminine of the characters. She's the awesome one, and obviously many males would like her, because they can identify with her. I don't see what's so cool about her though.
  • Rarity: Actually she's the target of negative comments, because people see her as the major bitch and superficial pony ever. Though she receive negative feedback all the time, people still talk about her, so she's remembered for something.

But what about Applejack?  she's the most balanced of the main6, she's not a particularly "funny" character, she's hardworker, motherly, athletic, down to earth, humble and honest. Let's face it, people likes controversy, morbidness, gossip, And the rest of the mane6 can offer that because even though the characteristics I mentioned before are VERY GOOD, people find these things to be boring, there's no juice in her, if you know what I mean.

Her breakdown, is to be a workaholic...please, being a workaholic is boring on topics to discuss, that's why she's the least popular. And it sucks because Applejack is such a great character, she's the voice of reason, and people can't appreciate that.

• Brohoof 4

Hmmm....

- Big family sense

- Lots of pride.

- Overconfidence bordering excess.

- Biggest fear is disappointment about her from others.

- Will not let others go without help, but will not let others help her.

- Most level-headed alongside Twilight.

- Expert at her job as well as the others.

- Is a great athlete.

- She as well can't escape the opposite points of her Element.

I dunno about you, but a lot of those things could make anyone attracted to a character. I would find it sad if only a matter of mental "OMG WHAT THE HELL?!" things is the only way to get captured by a character.sad.png

I guess that she's the most "normal" of them all and I have a lot in common with her so I find the others who are "different" to be more interesting.I don't know why others don't like her but that's just the way I think.

To be honest with you, I kind of think she is just the bottom of the Mane Six due to elimination. It's not that I hate Applejack, it's just that I prefer the other members of the mane six than her.

She doesn't really have much character development, aside from Apple Bucking Season Episode Thing, and she has a relatively simple personality...

I think it is largely because Applejack has the least character development of the Mane 6, what I have seen of her so far though is enough to make her my favorite despite this. She has a great deal of untapped potential that I hope come out in later episodes, I have noticed on this forum and other places that she has some very dedicated fans.

• Brohoof 5

As someone who lives in the south I honestly think that AppleJack is a great character. It is nice to have a Southern character who isn't a complete hick and is a credit to the South not an embarrassment. 

She may be slightly less exciting then the other characters sure, but not everyone is as crazy as pinkie some people are simply normal. I like to think that she is the type of person who is grounded to reality and is a constant. She can always be relied on to do the right thing.

Edited by Firelord Derpy
  • Brohoof 5

I think it's because she has a good head on her shoulders.

If you think about the other ponies, they've got some major tick or flaw that is ripe for conflict and, therefore, story. Fluttershy is incredibly shy and nervous, Rarity has dreams of being big and is a bit self-centered (Element of 'Generosity, folks!), Twilight is always striving to do better and make the people she loves proud, Rainbow Dash is competative and brash, Pinkie Pie is... well. Pinkie Pie. Meanwhile you have Applejack, and the only tick or flaw she has is that she's a hard worker. As far as I can figure they've done what they can with exploiting that, so any episodes that focus on that would be rehashes of either Applebucking Season or... can't remember the title. Where she goes to a rodeo or whatever and loses.

My point being is that compared to the other ponies she's still very much more sedate and mature, and that just doesn't make for a very interesting character when surrounded by all these larger-than-life personalities.

• Brohoof 3

I think it is largely because Applejack has the least character development of the Mane 6, what I have seen of her so far though is enough to make her my favorite despite this. She has a great deal of untapped potential that I hope come out in later episodes, I have noticed on this forum and other places that she has some very dedicated fans.

^This

Also, Applejack is the least flashy of the group. Rather than being spastic and unpredictable, she is stable, determined, and selfless to a fault. To compare the Mane 6 to real life groups of friends, AJ is not the friend you think of right away, but she is that one friend who binds the entire group together. She is the rock upon which which the Mane 6's friendship is built. For these reasons, as well as some, others, she is my favorite.

• Brohoof 3

Well, she's an earth pony. A lot of people don't like earth ponies over say unicorns or pegasi since they don't have as special of attributes as the other two pony species. Pinkie Pie defies physics and is hilarious, so that's why a lot of people like her.

Or she's just not everybody's cup of tea. It's all an opinion in the end ;x

Applejack definitely needs more character development, and more time in the spotlight. Like, waayyy more. But she's still tied for favorite pony along with Dashie for me, and I really hope she gets a song this season.

She's honest, trustworthy, and very loving - I honestly don't see why she's so under-appreciated.

Well for that matter, don't they all have pretty basic "cookie cutter" personalities, but they're given dimension through personal episodes? Sure she can be less exciting than a Pinkie invasion, but why isn't she featured more and built off of?

Well hopefully she'll get a bit more of a character progression in the 'Apple Family Reunion' episode. But yes part of what makes her less popular and as has been said 'flat' is the fact that really she doesn't have many flaws other than being prideful.

Maybe I'm the only one that see's but I actually think her progression is coming along slowly and in the background. Eventually (hopefully soon) some event will happen that causes her to have to be the hero... maybe doubling up with Rarity for the classic ying and yang that they are.

Fluttershy - personality disorder Twilight - I can't remember what th psychological term for it Rarity - seems to be learning toward greedy in some episodes. Pinkie - breaks forth wall and lots of randomness Applejack - stereotypical southern farmer who believes in oldschool values which includes being stubborn Rainbow Dash - athletic tomboy

Actually I was thinking about this a few days ago and chatted about it with my gf who works with people with special needs we came up with his;

Fluttershy - She has a crippling fear of the world outside what she already knows and of change. Totally lacks in confidence and can be cowed into doing things she doesn't want.

Pinkie Pie - Needs other people and only is happy when validated by others. Thus the over the top antics and obsessive need to be friends with everyone.

Rarity - Worries about what others thinks and is obviously a drama queen. She's an attention seeker and uses her fashion to ensure that she stays in the limelight.

Twilight Sparkle - Obsessive compulsive and a control freak and even though she's improved still a bit of a recluse.

Rainbow Dash - Brash, arrogant and extremely competitive. Like Pinkie she requires other people to pay attention to her in order to feel validated.

Applejack - Prideful to a fault, and overworks. She's, if anything, overly responsible trying to shoulder the burduns of others. She's also short tempered.

Please bear in mind we were purposefully focusing on the negatives. Each character has plenty of positives that more than make up for this short comings.

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 4

Applejack simply isn't flashy enough. All the other ponies have something special/crazy going on. The unicorns have magic, the pegasi can fly, Pinkie has a mofuckin' party cannon. Candlejack has a hat and a family, and they're all cooler and more memorable than she is too.

But Applejack seems to me like the de facto leader and most responsible of the bunch. Also the smartest after Twilight. She keeps the group's hooves on the ground (except for Rainbow Dash, as walking is beneath her).

• Brohoof 4

I like apple jack she just doesn't appeal to me as much as the rest of the mane 6. The last round up was one of the best apple jack episodes and made the most development with apple jacks character but it was also the episode where derpy spoke so apple jack got somewhat over shadowed. Im not sure I just think she lacks some depth but with the apple family reunion coming up hopefully she will be able to redeem her self.

• Brohoof 1

She just doesn't have a 'in your face' flaw that the others have, which people find amusing/charming or whatever. She doesn't go over the top with anything (aside from the very rare stubborn/pride issue) like all of the others do in 1 way or another making them stand out.

She's a fantastic character though and I love her. Hope she never changes (unless talking about screen time, more is good).

I just thought of something!

What if Applejack's next episode (after the family reunion, of course) focused on her realizing she is less flashy/noticable than her friends (maybe somepony could literally forget about her) and comes to the conclusion that she is "boring." For the rest of the episode, she could try new hobbies/attitudes that she thinks will make her more interesting, only to come to the obvious message of "be yourself" (has the show even done that moral yet??)

Anyway, I always liked Applejack myself. She has more personality than people give her credit for, I think.

Edited by Carolina
  • Brohoof 3

I think people choose their favourite ponies based on who they most identify with. Our culture doesn't value hard work, integrity, dependable-ness or honesty as much as it used to. AJ seems pretty old fashioned at times.

I think sometimes people don't like her accent either.

I liked her straight off the bat and for a while I thought she actually stole every scene she's in. She can be quite funny and cute. When she's not, at least she's usually caring and reasonable. I think she was almost 2nd most important pony for the first few episodes. She has really been neglected lately and doesn't get much development. I still think she is awesome though and holds the group together.

As for her not representing her element, bullshit. No less than anypony else, especially RD and Rarity.

• Brohoof 4

A lot of people seem to be under the impression Applejack is just boring, and although I disagree, she's not really getting any crucial development that makes people truly like her. She used to be tied for my favorite (with Fluttershy and Rarity) before season 2, but after realizing that all of the other ponies were getting more development than her and that she wasn't changing while everypony else just seemed to get more and more interesting made her slowly drift down my favorite pony list. She's had 4 episodes so far that were actually focused on her character, and 1 of them she had to share with Rarity, 1 she already learned the lesson and another she was overshadowed by the rest of the mane 6 and Derpy. I think this has to do with writing. Seriously, Applejack has no goals, no major character ticks or flaws to play off of (aside from the whole honesty thing, but all of the mane 6, with the exception of possibly Twilight, are poked fun at because of their elements, such as Fluttershy not being kind or Rarity not being generous) or anything. She's happy where she is, and therefore it's harder to think up episodes for a character that's already nicely developed than one that still has a lot way to go, like Twilight or Rainbow.

TL;DR: She used to be tied for favorite pony before season 2 came out. It's not so much that she's gotten worse, it's just that she hasn't gotten any better, and doesn't have much as much potential for jokes or character development compared to the rest of the mane 6.

Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 2

Now what in tarnation is this I hear about Applejack being unpopular?  Ahem, with that out of the way, I can think of one thing that would improve Applejack's appeal overnight:  Rule 63 AJ and have Peter Cullen use his Ironhide voice!  tongue.png