Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Much is a "Bit" Worth?

Stalliongrad

As to the value of a bit in Equestria, that would depend on the economy. While the terminology may derive from an american currency, the buying power itself is different.

Equestrian economics work much like RL economics, supply and demand. Gems and apples are very common, and thus they are cheap, while cherries (much like in RL) go for a relatively high cost. We also do not know what they have for taxes or profit margins, thus we do not know the true value of any of these reference products. If we assume they have no tax and no profits, then the bit likely worth 1/10 or less of a dollar.

Because Equestria has a large supply of gems, one can argue that they are a wealthy nation and the bit is strong. One bit of diamond could easily be over $500 in RL. I know I am contradicting myself, but my point is that they have a completely different economy, making speculation difficult.

• 8 months later...
(edited)

last time I checked which was a couple months ago 1 bitcoin was $1,200.00.....i haven't mined in a while since I've been super busy or kept up with the exchange market

Edited by RNgineer

last time I checked which was a couple months ago 1 bitcoin was $1,200.00.....i haven't mined in a while since I've been super busy or kept up with the exchange market

Then a bag of apples costs $4,800. I'm now convinced that they're laced with drugs.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Looking at this video, though, I'll try to offer some of my own insight.

I can (very very roughly) estimate that there are about 20 apples in Bon Bon's bag. Good-quality apples are usually about $0.50 each at a supermarket, but those apples seem to be on the large size so to be safe I'll use a price of $0.75 each. Then, Bon Bon's bag of apples would cost $15. Therefore, a bit should be somewhere in the ballpark of $3.50 to $4.

Can anyone back this up?

Edited by Graveyard Duck

(edited)

A bit could cost probably a dollar or more, I'm not sure, but the last time I checked, a bit is $1.00, but then again, in an episode where applebloom was invited to diamonds quinceanera, she dumped a bucket load of apples into bonbons bag and said "That'll be four bits!", so I wonder if a bit costs more than a $1.00, because that bag of apples would probably cost $10.00, no?

post-27080-0-29279400-1401006266_thumb.jpg

Edited by SparkFlare

I would think it's a totally different currency. I don't think 1 bit would be the equivalent to $1.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think we can set up an exchange rate, given that the prices of apples in our world can be different from place to place, we need more examples to judge.

So I would say a bit is worth one bit, or twice as much as half a bit, or half as much as two bits.

• Brohoof 1

For other reference to use, the 1/2 bit for 3 tomatoes scenario:

Seems prices might be negotiable (if your Pinkie Pie that is).

Ok, let's apply the same logic to this situation.

Tomatoes in a supermarket are usually about $0.30 each. Three tomatoes would then cost $0.90. So then a bit is worth either $0.90 or $0.45? That's a huge difference from the value derived from the apples! @_@

(edited)

Ok, let's apply the same logic to this situation.

Tomatoes in a supermarket are usually about $0.30 each. Three tomatoes would then cost $0.90. So then a bit is worth either $0.90 or $0.45? That's a huge difference from the value derived from the apples! @_@

Yeah it's kind of a big scale difference.  We haven't had a good reference point of getting a full grasp of the value worth of items in Equestria.  So it's kind of vague (which is nothing new in this series unfortunately.)  I figured Applebloom was under-selling the apples (imo)

And if you want to complicate matters a little bit more, about how much are those gems that Rarity keeps throwing around throughout the episode 'Rarity Takes Manehatten'

At parts 0:26, 0:43 and 1:38   - because those things are a dime a dozen around ponyville's bedrock plains, so one wonders if they might depreciated value?

Edited by pony.colin

(edited)

The bits don't seem to have an exact value, nor a possible exchange rate (or then Equestrians just have strange prices :blink: ).
Here's some what the MLP Wikia has to offer:

Bag of apples 3 gold bits

Apple pie 2 gold bits

Apple fritter 2 gold bits

Mug of apple cider 2 gold bits

Asparagus (1 bundle) 1 gold bit

Tomatoes (bunch of 3) 2 gold bits (2/3 of a gold bit per Tomato)

Cherry 2 gold bits

Kisses and guess your weight, age or sex - 1 bit... :wub:

Read more here.

TL;DR: The bits' value is impossible to determine.

Edited by -Vinyl Scratch-

(edited)

If I recall American history correctly, a bit was a coin equal to 1/8th of a dallar, thus  "two bits" would be 25 cents.

But in Equestria, who knows?

Edited by Ragland Tiger