Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old is Granny Smith, if she was there at Ponyville's founding?

Champion RD92

So according to Twilight in the Winter Wrap Up episode, Ponyville was founded hundreds of years ago, which would mean Granny Smith is hundreds of years old since she was alive during Ponyville's founding? That doesn't really seem to make much sense. What does everypony think about this?

Edited by RainbowDash92
  • Brohoof 4

I think the producers and storywriters forgot about the winter wrap up episode, either that, or they were trying to be creative. dunno.
  • Brohoof 1

The full quotation from "Winter Wrap-Up" is:

"Ponyville was started by Earth Ponies, so for hundreds of years they've never used magic to clean up winter."

I don't think it's really a major error - it's entirely possible that Twilight was somewhat ignorant of the town's history, or that she meant that Earth Ponies in general haven't used magic to clean up winter for hundreds of years, rather than Ponyville ponies specifically.

• Brohoof 8

Slightly unrelated, but speaking of possible mess-ups in Winter Wrap Up: in the song AppleJack sings "everyone" not "everypony." This has bothered me since I realized it 2 weeks ago...

Slightly unrelated, but speaking of possible mess-ups in Winter Wrap Up: in the song AppleJack sings "everyone" not "everypony." This has bothered me since I realized it 2 weeks ago...

I wouldn't really consider that a mistake; the term "everyone" doesn't inherently imply humans rather than ponies, and I don't see why Pony English shouldn't have synonyms.

who knows, maybe granny smith can time travle :D

Doctor Whooooooves!

*Shakes fist angrily*

ORRR Maybe Our years are longer then Equesrian Years.

Who knows, its possible. Just a little thing to think about.

Or maybe Granny Smith is that old. After all, she was old back when Big Mac and AJ were fillies, remember?

• Brohoof 2

She's so old that when she was a teenager the Dead Sea was still alive!

*crickets*

Okay, yeah, I got that from Steven Tyler.

I like to think of her as being the pony equivalent of being in her 80s. I do love her though. The last episode did it for me, I loved seeing her hop around in her bunny suit singing the ABCs.

ORRR Maybe Our years are longer then Equesrian Years. Who knows, its possible. Just a little thing to think about.

This!... The Equestrian Calendar thread debates the time span in Equestria vs IRL and establishes that the drawn calendar has less days per month than the one IRL does. Now this doesn't necessarily mean that it’s official, but based on past topics, Id run with this idea.
  • Brohoof 1

I'd go with the 'she's just that old' theory.

For one thing, if ponies commonly live a very long time, it kinda explains why nopony thinks it odd for Celestia and Luna to live so long.

What if a normal pony lifespan was in the 500-1000 year range?

I made a comment adressing this in my episode review, so have some sort of "copy and paste" without it being copy pasting.

Maybe, time span in Equestria works different than on Earth. We know their clocks are of 8 hours, as we saw in Episode 22 of season 1 "A bird in the hoof". Their days last sisxteen hours, which makes the year shorter. I have my sister giving me a hand with these calculations, as she is the brainiac of the family, and he developed a very easy way to figure numbers out.

To every amount of time that's said in the show, multiply it by 1,5 and you'll get the equivalent in Earth time. That said, 100 years in Equestria can last for 150 years on Earth, So when Granny Smith says she was there when Ponyville was founded she might actually be saying the truth, and she can easily be over a hundred years old.

If I venture to be more specific, she might be around 125, 130 years old, which is almost two centuries.

• Brohoof 1

I made a comment adressing this in my episode review, so have some sort of "copy and paste" without it being copy pasting.

Maybe, time span in Equestria works different than on Earth. We know their clocks are of 8 hours, as we saw in Episode 22 of season 1 "A bird in the hoof". Their days last sisxteen hours, which makes the year shorter. I have my sister giving me a hand with these calculations, as she is the brainiac of the family, and he developed a very easy way to figure numbers out.

To every amount of time that's said in the show, multiply it by 1,5 and you'll get the equivalent in Earth time. That said, 100 years in Equestria can last for 150 years on Earth, So when Granny Smith says she was there when Ponyville was founded she might actually be saying the truth, and she can easily be over a hundred years old.

If I venture to be more specific, she might be around 125, 130 years old, which is almost two centuries.

The problem with that is that you don't know how long an Equestrian hour is. Technically, you don't even know that an Equestrian day is 16 Equestrian hours, or that the clock in "A Bird in the Hoof" was showing hours.

Well, its not really an error so to speak, since "one" is a term of reference for whatever species

;)

Lupus