Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

The Outstretched Shadow iby Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory's

So far I like the book and its sooo much more darker

and longer then anything I've read by Lackey in the past.

How dark exactly, I might give it a try.

I tried some of the books, but never finished them, then again, I'm definitely not the target audience :lol: .

I do enjoy most of the songs though.

• Brohoof 1

How dark exactly, I might give it a try.

I tried some of the books, but never finished them, then again, I'm definitely not the target audience :lol: .

I do enjoy most of the songs though.

It has demons,  torture

love,  death of friends

and some good battle scenes!

After she did these first three books,

she did three more in the past

and the new one came out last week

which i read.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "Black Company" (highly recommend it for every gritty, low magic fantasy fans), ordered the sequeland started "Shadow Puppets". It's uncanny how Mr. Card manages to suck you in after two pages... :wacko:

@@Silverstream,

Great, thanks to you I'm now imagining Sombra as a herald-mage who turned evil. As is Venyel had just one crappy day too many, told Renly to buck off and took over. :ph34r:

I'm reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini. About 520 pages left to read. I've rea -_-d only 3 chapters but I already think it's quite good.

I'm gonn be n ass again and give you this advice. Stop after the first book. The second is okay, if terribly predictable, the third should have just been slashed by the editors and the fourth is just a traincrash.

Mr. Paolini has some good ideas, but his inexperience as a writer is terribly obvious.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 1

Well I was reading Hidden Reality by Brian Green, which is a 'challenging' book to say the least. I was most of the way through it when I forgot to pack the book right before a long flight. I had the first few chapters of Fallout: Equestria on my tablet which I had downloaded a long time ago so I decided to read that on the plane instead.

So that's what I'm reading now. Buck Brian Green and his mind-bending science. I need to find out the future of Equestria!! (and please, guys, no spoilers! in fact, don't even reply to this unless it's about the Brian Green book! thanks!)

Fahrenheit 451. It's a pretty famous book written by Ray Bradbury. I have to read it for a school project but it is still a great read and if your into dystopian literature you should definitely give it a try.

• Brohoof 1

Just finished "Black Company" (highly recommend it for every gritty, low magic fantasy fans), ordered the sequeland started "Shadow Puppets". It's uncanny how Mr. Card manages to suck you in after two pages... :wacko:

@@Silverstream,

Great, thanks to you I'm now imagining Sombra as a herald-mage who turned evil. As is Venyel had just one crappy day too many, told Renly to buck off and took over. :ph34r:

I'm gonn be n ass again and give you this advice. Stop after the first book. The second is okay, if terribly predictable, the third should have just been slashed by the editors and the fourth is just a traincrash.

Mr. Paolini has some good ideas, but his inexperience as a writer is terribly obvious.

In other words, he's kinda like me, only much much better since his stories have been published as a book.

What you just said makes me even more interested to read all of them now.  I am also after all completely inexperienced, enough so that even my best story (which happens to be my one and only MLP story) so far is not good enough for Equestria Daily, but seems to be... somewhat liked in FIMfiction.net as it has 0 dislikes, 25 likes and 509 views ATM. That's much more than my other 3 stories in any other site.

So what if the stories are not quality material? That doesn't mean they suck as heck. It all depends on whether the reader enjoys the story or not.

• Brohoof 1

In other words, he's kinda like me, only much much better since his stories have been published as a book.

What you just said makes me even more interested to read all of them now.  I am also after all completely inexperienced, enough so that even my best story (which happens to be my one and only MLP story) so far is not good enough for Equestria Daily, but seems to be... somewhat liked in FIMfiction.net as it has 0 dislikes, 25 likes and 509 views ATM. That's much more than my other 3 stories in any other site.

So what if the stories are not quality material? That doesn't mean they suck as heck. It all depends on whether the reader enjoys the story or not.

I just start to write a few stories for mlp  just for the enjoyment of it,  i did get

some  favs//looks which made me happy and I posted it both on fanfic.net and fim just

to spread it out.     One thing i do know is a beta/proof reader always helps out  from anything

to grammer and spelling to  plot if you ask!

It takes me a long time to find a beta which im still looking for. :umad:

My friends stupid stories. I'm not kidding, they write crack stories :S

Anyways, I feel inclined to read whatever they think is amusing :/

I am reading War and Peace by Count Leo (Nikolaevich) Tolstoy. It is considered to be one of the greatest novels ever created. Reviews said that this book is "a work of art within a work of art". I do have to say, it's very long. It contains about 1500 pages and about 500 characters. This should be interesting.

• 3 months later...

Well. this thread shouldn't be dead.

Just finished "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman (absolutely awesome) and blazed through "Mark of Calth" (mostly awesome) out of the Horus Heresy series.

Also reread "Nightwatch", cuz its my favourite Discworld novel (which means a lot).

Trixie is reading the Manga Trinity Blood.  So far it is better than something called Twilight.  Oh darn, trixie had to be reminded of a peculiar unicorn with this...wait Alicorn now?  Nonsense.

Anyway, when it is read Trixie will also review it on her Great and Powerful Tumblr.  Now excuse her as her writer plans to take over anew.  Such bother.

right now the fanfic  'waking up in ponyvill'

its really underrated to my taste.

also ive begun on my 6th read-through of fallout equestriablink.png

I am being forced to read "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. I have to read the book in english class and it's an alright book. I just hate the southern style of language in the book.

Currently I just finished Great Gatsby in response to seeing the movie (which I loved BTW)

I also need to read the third book in the Golden Compass series. If any of you haven't heard of it, NOW YOU HAVE. Check it out and see if you like it laugh.png

Also I am waiting to get a copy of Ender's Game, I have heard many good things about it wink.png

About finished with the Prose Edda, moving onto The Saga of Volsungs soon, or the Poetic Edda, not sure yet. Though for sake of the character limit I will also mention that I recently got Beowulf, The Tao Te Ching, The Book Of Enoch, and The Song of Roland if I want something else.

(edited)

I'm currently floating around multiple books. I'm slowly making my way through the Bible, I'm rereading Dante's Inferno, and I occasionally flip through The Art of War. Yeah, very boring books... I'm more of an encyclopedia type of person. I just recently got the first book in A Song of Fire and Ice but its just been sitting on my table.

Edited by Chales

Got four books on the go right now:

The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx

Nova Express by William Burroughs

Lowside of the road: A Life of Tom Waits

Fear to Tread by James Swallow

Yay, its alive :)

Started Angel Exterminatus, also from Horus Heresy (Perturabo, Fulgrim and a crazy Iron Hand scientist, very cool).

I just recently got the first book in A Song of Fire and Ice but its just been sitting on my table.

I highly recommend it. It took me some time to get invested in the characters, but its worth it.

Fear to Tread by James Swallow

Oh, I gotta get to that after finishing Angel Exterminatus. Is Sangi already blond in this one (he has black hair in Thousand Sons)?