Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books The Book Thread

Octavia2

Dude i have totally been planning to read that for some time now!

Your description of it makes me think of something like artemis fowl on speed lol...

Its a t.v show also /)^3^(\ um there are 12 manga volumes just thought i should say that maybe there are some at your local or school library? My local library had all 12 :) If you can speak spanish or japanese its on hulu.

• Brohoof 1

Favorite books? Tough to say.

Well I doubt this counts as a series but I do love some of Stephen King's works. Christine and IT being the top two. Currently reading The Shining.

And as Pokesonicfan said that if graphic novels count I enjoy the manga series Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Love the design of the characters!

The Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. I like it because it's set around the time of the Napoleonic Wars, which is one of my favorite eras. Aside from that, A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. That has to be my favorite book yet.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

What are some of your favorite sci-fi/fantasy books?  Besides Harry Potter, ;)

For sci-fi, Tad Williams wrote an amazing (and epic-length) quadrilogy known as the Otherland series.  Imagine the world ten or twenty years in the future, when we interface with the internet with our minds directly.  The MMORPGs are much more immersive, and depending on the quality of your hardware at home you may be able to feel textures and even smell scents.  Now imagine that while on the web, playing a game, you catch a tantalizing glimpse through a portal of a world so much more realistic than the one you're exploring, it makes your current surroundings look 8-bit.  It's like nothing you've ever seen before, realer than real---and then it's gone.  There's no trace of it ever having been there, and no one else ever saw it.  The memory of it gnaws at you.  You HAVE to know what that other world was, and you HAVE to get there.  Little do you know how dark the origins of that place are, the sacrifices made to engineer it, and what far-reaching effects it's having across the web every week as its true moment of birth grows ever-nearer...

As for fantasy, give the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy a try.  Also, it happens, by Tad Williams.  It's the next best fantasy epic I've ever read besides LoTR, and it involves magical swords instead of rings.  There's a dragon in there somewhere, some of the best-described battles I've ever seen, and some truly creepy magical corruption and royal intrigue.

I have the bad habit to read too many books at the same time, so yeah, I read a couple or two at the moment. The most interesting one though, is "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking. I really got sucked into that book. He surprised me with his very amusing way of explaining things. I didn't know he had a good sense of humor! His explanations are also rather simple, which fits me very well considering I'm only fourteen years old. I also read "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, "25 Philosophers" by Gunnar Fredrikson and "A Universe From Nothing" by Lawrence M. Krauss. I recommend all of them to you. 

My favorite books have to be Harry Potter, ah, memories. :)

Edited by Shaky Novel

So um, I'll just throw in and say that I love the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (well, so far; on book three) and my #1 book as of now is Ned Vizzini's It's Kind of a Funny Story. Hitchhiker's and Funny Story are must reads, I must recommend.

Anyways, I'm currently on The House of Leaves by Mark Z., Danielewski, and my god, it is... very... interesting. I'll leave it at that - 600+ pages and a lot of footnotes I need to pay attention to, for sure.

(edited)

I recently finished reading the first book in the Dune series. Seeing as Dune 2000 was the first computer game I ever owned (and still my favorite), and I own the film, plus I really liked the Children of Dune mini-series, I though I should actually read the books.  The story is excellent, it has interesting politics, and a great world. The only issues I really had was the writing itself. The descriptions felt kinda forced a lot of the time, and didn't flow well. I also thought that it had very poor character development. Over-all though, I really liked it. I still have the next two books in the trilogy, as well as the sequel, "God Emperor of Dune" sitting on my book shelf, but I've kinda gone back to reading Discworld novels for now. I just started reading Mort and it's freaking amazing.

Edited by Hansel

• 2 weeks later...

Currently I'm reading throght the Harry Potter serie again and right now I'm on halfblood prince. My favorite series is either Harry Potter  by J.K Rowling or Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan. After I'm done with the HP series again I will read J.K Rowlings latest book The casual vacancy.

My favorite book is Hatchet.  It's primal but not stupid, and has an intense appreciation for nature.  It's a great survival story and the most perfect piece of entertainment I've found.

I also love the Harry Potter books, my favorite is Order of the Pheniox.

Stephen King's It is very good as well.

I just finished Niven and Pournelle's Legacy of Heorot and Beowulf's Children. An excellent sci-fi space colonization duology.

In that same vein, Niven's Fleet of Worlds series is amazing, and provides a neat little bow tie for the loose ends for his other Known Space stories, tying them up into a cohesive yarn.

Someone's thread about a Scootaloo bookmark prompted me to ask this question: What is your guy's favorite book (or book series) to read? (We're talking real publications here, not fanfics.) I'm actually curious to see what the Brony fandom enjoys browsing through on their spare time.

For me, it either has to be The Dresden Files or the Spellwright series. Both of them are mystery series that involve a good dose of both magic and humor, which adds up to a wonderful read every time.

So what are you guy's favorites?

I'm not much of a reader, but my favorite book would probably be Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I really really loved the Harry Potter series as a kid.

Edited by Champion RD92

I don't read much. I can't think of many books I really like. I'd say that I liked. I believe I liked the Ink Heart series, but that's about it.

• Brohoof 1

I don't read much. I can't think of many books I really like. I'd say that I liked. I believe I liked the Ink Heart series, but that's about it.

I never actually finished the Ink Heart series... I read the first two books, almost finished the third one but stopped reading it (Can't remember why I stopped, I loved that series)

Either A Series of Unfortunate Events, or the Red Dwarf books. As I've said before, I've always like darker stuff, so that explains Unfortunate Events, and I love the Red Dwarf series, so when I got the books I read them all quicker than I've read anything else, and actually prefer them to the TV series in some ways. smile.png  Or Sherlock Holmes, why couldn't the English language still be used like that? sad.png?  

Either A Series of Unfortunate Events, or the Red Dwarf books. As I've said before, I've always like darker stuff, so that explains Unfortunate Events, and I love the Red Dwarf series, so when I got the books I read them all quicker than I've read anything else, and actually prefer them to the TV series in some ways. img-1264998-1-smile.png  Or Sherlock Holmes, why couldn't the English language still be used like that? img-1264998-2-sad.png   

Didn't A Series of Unfortunate Events get a little bit repetitive?(Sorry if I spelled that wrong) I mean, I liked the series but it kind of seemed to be the same thing over and over

Didn't A Series of Unfortunate Events get a little bit repetitive?(Sorry if I spelled that wrong) I mean, I liked the series but it kind of seemed to be the same thing over and over

Well, yeah, they escaped from Olaf, he found them, got them, they escaped, etc., but the ride's fun while it lasts. ^-^ And the V.F.D thingy is interesting. smile.png But the ending was disappointing... dry.png  

Edited by Vexxy

The Old Man & the Sea and 1984 by George Orwell read those two books and school and absolutely loved them. I did not like reading at all in the past when I was younger but I have been growing to like reading very recently now. 

Well, yeah, they escaped from Olaf, he found them, got them, they escaped, etc., but the ride's fun while it lasts. ^-^ And the V.F.D thingy is interesting. img-1265019-1-smile.png But the ending was disappointing... img-1265019-2-dry.png  

I agree, the ending was pretty disappointing,,, Other than that it was a really good series though (Not my favorite series but still a good one)

• Brohoof 1

My favorite book would have to be The Sneetches by Dr Seuss, it proves just how stupid racism is, because at the end of the day we're all Human beings regardless of race.