Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

263 users have voted

1. 1. And in your opinion, who IS Lyra?

• Just a background pony who sits awkwardly.
    • Bon Bon's BPFF (best pony friend forever).
    • A great lyre player who knows Octavia.
    • A pony who is secretly curious about humans.
    • A pony who wants to BE human.
    • Other?

I'm strongly attracted to a person's voice, almost as much as their looks. Its interesting that I wasn't much into Lyra until she had her one speaking line... but oh what line. I melted in my chair when I heard Lyra speak, it was like sweet music. After that I became a total Lyra fanboy.

I had a simliar moment with Trixie, specifically when she says 'now, lets see what your little charm can do.' ...I eargasmed.

• Brohoof 3

I was the same as you OP! I didnt care much for her but then I saw Anthropology the musical and fell in love! I then read it and looked more into her through fandom search and other things. Now I am a fan and she is one of my favorite ponies!

• Brohoof 1

Lyra is defiantly  my favorite background pony even better than Derpy in my opinion. Her entire design i like and i think most of the fandom and her little human obsession is what got me into liking her the most

• Brohoof 2

Well, I can't really give my opinion on her. The only thing I can really say is that she is a flat character.

No, not 'that type' of flat. Get your mind out of the gutters!

Lyra only said a total of, like, 2 sentences. And she was being brainwashed at the time. So really, we don't know her personality at all. And it wouldn't be fair if I give my opinion on her.

Although I do like her color scheme...

Edited by Blindshot Predator

So really, we don't know her personality at all. And it wouldn't be fair if I give my opinion on her.

That's the thing about background ponies. You have to let the fandom fill in the gaps, or try to fill them in yourself. All we really have is character design, a cutie mark, and a voice. The fandom took the one scene with her sitting on a bench and ran with it.

I'll just simply settle with her being a friend of Bon Bon's and a great lyre player. She's got my favorite character design in the show, fanfics and fanart help you figure out just exactly how much you like them. If you have the creativity, then add that to the mix and see what you can come up with.

jLZa0.pngmpKyN.pngkSH67.pngL7ZMl.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I think Lyra now knocked Octavia off the perch for my favorite background pony.  Also, I found this on DeviantArt, it seems like the lyre isn't the only thing she can play.

post-8252-0-85225200-1357787173_thumb.png

Edited by Rolls Royce
  • Brohoof 2

I really love the Anthropology song. I get it stuck in my head all the time!

Lyra is certainly one of my favorite background ponies, but I don't really have a single specific one anyways. Derpy, Dr. Whooves, and Octavia are all other favorites that come to mind.

I think Lyra has the best color scheme, though, for sure. Minty green for the win!

• Brohoof 1

That's the thing about background ponies. You have to let the fandom fill in the gaps, or try to fill them in yourself. All we really have is character design, a cutie mark, and a voice. The fandom took the one scene with her sitting on a bench and ran with it.

I'll just simply settle with her being a friend of Bon Bon's and a great lyre player. She's got my favorite character design in the show, fanfics and fanart help you figure out just exactly how much you like them. If you have the creativity, then add that to the mix and see what you can come up with.

Very well said indeed! That's one of my favorite things about the fandom, we come up with our own ideas and fill in the blanks. Lyra is no longer just a background pony with a cute design; she represents the creativity and quirky humor of bronies everywhere. She's an inspiration born of inspiration. In short, Lyra is a muse.

Great pictures, too. Bring them on!

mlp_fim___lyra_by_joakaha-d4ousng.jpg

lyra_enjoying_her_sandwich_by_tritebrist

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony

lyra_and_bon_bon_in___figureskaters___by

i dont like Lyra, i love her. I just wish the writers would see how big her fanbase is and start actually using her character for something. 

You and me both. Just seeing her at a sporting event with a foam finger on her hoof would be great, another subtle nod to the older fans. An episode where she has a relevant speaking role may be too much to ask, but we can always hope.  ;)

• Brohoof 1

Not really. I think the fanon about her is rather idiotic, and way blown out of proportion- I mean come on, there's no way people actually believe she's 'obsessed with humans' do they? It's delusional nonsense, and all just because of the way she sat on a bench, too much undeserved attention if you ask me.

The thing about her and Bon Bon is kind of cute though, if not a little blown out of proportion as well since the creators have stated that their placement together has been purely coincidental.

Not really. I think the fanon about her is rather idiotic, and way blown out of proportion- I mean come on, there's no way people actually believe she's 'obsessed with humans' do they? It's delusional nonsense, and all just because of the way she sat on a bench, too much undeserved attention if you ask me.

The thing about her and Bon Bon is kind of cute though, if not a little blown out of proportion as well since the creators have stated that their placement together has been purely coincidental.

i agree with ya there. the Lyra-Human thing is kinda ridiculous, and its all based on how she was sitting one time. She aint obsessed with humans, she just knows how to chill properly. 

• Brohoof 1

I used to not pay much attention to her, but since I got a toy of her for christmas, I started looking for her while I watch the show. While I don't obsess over her, she'll always have a special place as the first pony I got a toy of.

Has anyone else thought about the whole bridesmaid thing? It seems a bit weird that Cadance would know her enough to choose her, along with Colgate and Twinkleshine as her bridesmaids...

"Oh yeah, we look like unimportant background characters but we're actually close friends with a goddamn alicorn princess and she knows us enough to choose us as her frickin' bridesmaids."

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Has anyone else thought about the whole bridesmaid thing? It seems a bit weird that Cadance would know her enough to choose her, along with Colgate and Twinkleshine as her bridesmaids...

"Oh yeah, we look like unimportant background characters but we're actually close friends with a goddamn alicorn princess and she knows us enough to choose us as her frickin' bridesmaids."

Good point, that's kind of hard to believe. I'm guessing that Cadence was possessed by Chrysalis at the time. We saw how callous and uncaring she was regarding the preparations, so I can see her just grabbing those three out of a crowd to be be the bridesmaids. ^_^

I couldn't disagree with this more. I happen to like the fanon about Lyra. If you're going to trash the head canon about her, you have to do it for Octavia, Dr. Whooves, Vinyl Scratch and other background ponies--because how are they any different? It's the same thing. We took what little we knew about them and ran with it. Everything the fandom has drawn, written and imagined about the ponies that Hasbro didn't do for us--is that all "idiotic" and "delusional nonsense" too?

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, Lyra... *sighs*

She's adorable. Her character design is really cute, and her fanon-self is just.. Great! /)^3^(\

So in short, yes, I like Lyra very VERY much!

Here's a few cute pics I found:

post-10934-0-51627900-1357857192_thumb.jpg

Dat cap iz cute :3

post-10934-0-75047000-1357857210_thumb.jpg

There's just that special "bounce" to her step :)

post-10934-0-16567900-1357857238_thumb.jpg

Last, but definitely not least, my personal favourite. Just look at that! Tell me THAT'S not freaking adorable!

Yay Lyra!

• Brohoof 5

Good point, that's kind of hard to believe. I'm guessing that Cadence was possessed by Chrysalis at the time. We saw how callous and uncaring she was regarding the preparations, so I can see her just grabbing those three out of a crowd to be be the bridesmaids. ^_^

I couldn't disagree with this more. I happen to like the fanon about Lyra. If you're going to trash the head canon about her, you have to do it for Octavia, Dr. Whooves, Vinyl Scratch and other background ponies--because how are they any different? It's the same thing. We took what little we knew about them and ran with it. Everything the fandom has drawn, written and imagined about the ponies that Hasbro didn't do for us--is that all "idiotic" and "delusional nonsense" too?

Hm, I guess 'silly' would be a better word, because it is all quite silly how we come up with these little backstories for characters who don't really mean much on the show. But it is nice, and I like and appreciate most of the things the fandom does with background characters. It's just that whole thing with Lyra and humans just grinds my gears a bit is all, I'm sorry if my words were a bit harsh about it though.
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Hm, I guess 'silly' would be a better word, because it is all quite silly how we come up with these little backstories for characters who don't really mean much on the show. But it is nice, and I like and appreciate most of the things the fandom does with background characters. It's just that whole thing with Lyra and humans just grinds my gears a bit is all, I'm sorry if my words were a bit harsh about it though.

No harm done, then. :) I can see how the Lyra stuff looks silly to bronies who don't get it or just aren't interested. But here's how I would explain it. It started when we saw her sitting on the bench like a human in Dragonshy. It got a lot of jokes, memes, etc. But it got some of us thinking, maybe she does other human-like things in her spare time. And if so, does she know about humans? And if she does, does she want to be a human and come to our world like we want to be ponies and/or visit Equestria?

That's what captured some bronies' imaginations. It's what the Lyra/humans thing really means: she's an brony in reverse, a reflection of us. From there you have big epic fanfics like Anthropology (and its theme song) and Background Pony that explored her even more...and the rest is history.

I don't buy into all of it, but you can see how it adds a whole new dimension to her character. In my view, Lyra is half regular pony who plays the lyre and hangs out with Bon Bon, half curious and eccentric pony who has heard about strange creatures called humans. ;)

Edited by TailsAlone

Yep, that's the best title I could think of. I might have a better one if I was thinking clearly, but my mind has been hijacked by a sea green pony.

24 hours ago I barely knew (or cared) about Lyra. But then something happened. I voted for her in the attractive pony tournament without knowing why, then I looked up some pictures and then I read Anthropology, and now...

img-1062182-1-lyralogo2.jpg

I'm a fan. No, more than that. I don't just like Lyra, I LOVE her. I can't get that unicorn out of my head.

I didn't understand background pony nuts or WAIFU fans before, but oh god, I think I'm turning into one. Or both. So here's a topic about her. Tell me what you think about her, what kind of pony you think she is, post cute pictures of her...anything and everything Lyra! :wub:

img-1062182-2-lyra_revectorized2.jpg

Attractive pony tournament? ...Can you send links? I really want to see how that thing panned out. Especially if makes Lyra more awesome than she already is.  ^_^

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Attractive pony tournament? ...Can you send links? I really want to see how that thing panned out. Especially if makes Lyra more awesome than she already is. ^_^

Since you asked, here it is, Lyra fans! http://mlpforums.com/topic/44455-the-most-attractive-pony-tournament-2013-wild-card-round/page-8

But it's stickied at the top of Show Discussion so you can always find it. Lyra's up against Rainbow Dash and it's going to be a tough one. She needs all the votes she can get. :lol:

Who knows if Lyra can be any more awesome than she is now...but there's no harm in trying!

Time for more pics.

lyra_ruins_the_canterlot_garden____by_ge

Don't ask me where this mysterious picture is from, I have no idea.

tumblr_m8ebowZERh1r5ndxwo1_500.png

131173546638.png

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 2

My favourite background pony! She's so adorable! I like her colours and how she can sip a soda with her bare hooves. So adorable.

Like this? ;)

tumblr_memstogt0x1r5esvio1_500.gif

LOL. I like that one. (What's in that cup??) That's how much I like Lyra, she's got me saying 'LOL' in public. There's no way back now.

• Brohoof 2