Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Scariest Game You've Ever Played

Moog the Kvlt

Some of the scariest games that I have ever played would be

1. Amnesia: The Dark Descent but only if it's played as it should which means turning of the lights, wearing headphones or connected to a big sound system with your graphics looking dark and edgy rather then the wimpy approach with gamma on high so you can see everything. Truly the real horror of that game is when it is put in the hands of the public for custom stories. (Some of you just had to put so many jumpscares -_- ) It just needs the right mood to be scary.

2. Minecraft - not that it's a horror game but it does manage to keep me on the edge of my seat with some of the scariest moments in gaming history. Corners and drops make you fear for your life incase you loose your inventory from lava death pit or creeper explosion (everyone panics when the see a creeper behind you don't lie) As well as that, at night, the whole atmosphere that minecraft creates is pretty eeriy and haunting as you feel so alone and yet watched at the same time.

3. Silent Hill 2 - One of the best psychological horror games I have ever played, but really Pyramid Head kind of makes that game one of my favourites.

• Brohoof 1

The scariest game I've ever played would be the original F.E.A.R especially at the endgame, those friggin ghost demons scared me so much and Alma walking around a corner only to not be there when I went there my self and also the fact that I forgot where to go to get out, so yeah in my opinion it was pretty scary

For me it's Condemned: Criminal Origins. I played with the volume up, and the lights off. It has some good jump scares. But the creepiest level in the whole game is that friggin department store. Turn the volume up and you constantly hear noises, voices, breathing, movement, etc. And those mannequins......always watching. It just left me on edge the entire time. And then the mannequins.....

Condemned 2 wasn't quite as scary, but holy crap did it have a crazy moment involving a bear.

I am not really fun of scary games, but one definitely comes on my mind. I think Alan Wake is not kinda really scary, but when i played it, i was really... hmm... how to say... forced to scare? I mean i told to myself that i was scare, and played in that condition and ... that was really attractive =)

Some of the scariest games that I have ever played would be

1. Amnesia: The Dark Descent but only if it's played as it should which means turning of the lights, wearing headphones or connected to a big sound system with your graphics looking dark and edgy rather then the wimpy approach with gamma on high so you can see everything. Truly the real horror of that game is when it is put in the hands of the public for custom stories. (Some of you just had to put so many jumpscares -_- ) It just needs the right mood to be scary.

2. Minecraft - not that it's a horror game but it does manage to keep me on the edge of my seat with some of the scariest moments in gaming history. Corners and drops make you fear for your life incase you loose your inventory from lava death pit or creeper explosion (everyone panics when the see a creeper behind you don't lie) As well as that, at night, the whole atmosphere that minecraft creates is pretty eeriy and haunting as you feel so alone and yet watched at the same time.

3. Silent Hill 2 - One of the best psychological horror games I have ever played, but really Pyramid Head kind of makes that game one of my favourites.

Thank you for this, this actually summorises all of the games I find scary at times as well. Also, for Minecraft; I totally see what you mean and I fully agree on it. I always am scared when I hear the world-famous "Ssssss" behind me, and usually, it doesn't end well.

Having played many of the games on this list, Minecraft is by far one of the most terror inducing around, simply because it seems so innocent. No other game has gotten me, a 26 year old man, to scream like a little girl quite that often.

Also, that one moment in Fable 3 when you first meet the Crawler. Of all the things wrong with that game, that moment was... eeeyaaahhhgg.

• Brohoof 1

Slender all the way. Slender has been the only game that I have played that I couldn't sleep with the lights off for weeks. It scared me and my friends to death, and we could never sleep that night again. It terrified new too death actually. :lol:

I am an avid fan of horror games and I have played them fro most of my life but I remember one game in particular that scared the living bejesus out of me, and that game was Fatal Frame. I remember I had to play it in the day time, hell I know a lot of people in my family wouldn't even touch it!

• Brohoof 1

I don't really play horror games but I can think of horror moment in games I've played.

The library from Metro 2033 and the start of ghost ship in Republic Commando. 

The library for having the sense of being completely helpless even with all your weapons because of those damned librarians.

Ghost ship for the feeling of being completely alone for the first 15 minutes of the mission.

In my opinion games that don't focus on horror are usual the best at it.

• 3 months later...

I play a lot of scary games like Amnesia,Slender etc.

But mainly I play free indie horror games because you never know what to expect the antagonist always gets freakier and they are short and easy so you get a quick scare and not a never ending nightmare

Yea you can play your Amnesia or Slender... but nothing... NOTHING will ever be as scary and intense as X-COM: UFO Defense.

(the new one is really really good as well!)

I still haven't finished FEAR. I love it, but I can't stand it at the same time, because it's so scary. I also love some older horror games. System Shock 2 comes to mind. Homeworld: Cataclysm was pretty terrifying in parts.

I don't play very many scary games, but I have a very special soft spot reserved for Amnesia (which I love... amazing game that keeps me interested).

I play quite a few horror games/mods.

Cry of Fear, Grey, Ascension, Imscared, Black Snow, SCP: Containment Breach, all the games made about SCP-087, SCP-432, etc. etc.

I tried playing I See You a couple of days ago, but after 5 minutes of playing it, I had to get up to do something and instinctively pressed Esc and closed the game. I got irritated, went to go do whatever it was I was going to do, came back, played for 30 minutes, got a call, pressed Esc again, raged, and deleted the folder I put all the game's files in.

(edited)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dead Space 1 and 2. I'm numb to them now, but back in the day when I was new to them, they scared the living shit out of me. Couldn't play them for more then an hour at a time. "Aim for the limbs!"

Edited by Conbon

(edited)

Finished Amnesia it was scary as hay. I've been playing through dead space recently but it's not too bad.

. I tried playing the Penumbra series the first game was bearable but the second was so scary i haven't played more than 45 minutes or so. Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy

Hell yeah i love scray games :DD
By the way am i the only one who got paranoia from playing to much Slender?^^
Amnesia is good too especially the jumpscare custom stories

(edited)

There have never been that many games that have scared me that much but I would pick Dead Space 3 (haven't played the first two) because of those sudden creatures that come out of nowhere. Played Amnesia but did not find it as scary as people said, although the sequel looks really good. 

Also looking forward to that upcoming game "Evil Within". Now that looks scary.

Edited by Sirwest299

Well, I know this is sad, but the scariest game I have ever played is Slender. This game is terrifying. What makes it even scarier for me  is that when I got caught by Slenderman, I had the volume turned up all the way.

R.I.P

My ears.

Possibly Bioshock 1 & 2. 

The 'big daddies' in those two games are extremely creepy. Not so much scary, but just something that your body thinks "That isn't right..."

NOT THE HANDYMEN FROM INFINITE. 

Those handymen are absolutely pathetic.