Does it bother you when someone spells your name incorrecty

applebaby

I am usually a grammar and spelling nazi, but with my name, I don't care. I don't care how it's spelled or what you call me, as long as I know who you're talking to. The only time I make sure it is spelled correctly is on official documents, where it actually matters.

Eh, it is a little annoying. I have a foreign name, so most people spell it wrong. It gets tiring having to let people know how it's properly spelled all the time, when I would never have to with an American name like Jack or Andrew.

Oh yeah, I recall that some people wrote stuff in my old yearbooks like "you're my best friend!" and they didn't even spell my name right.. oh, it looks like we were best friends alright :/

Edited by fimdashie
  • Brohoof 1

I'm just wondering if you get annoyed I do for some reason

if you don't do you know someone who dose?

sorry if I spell something wrong

my family tends to misspell my name from time to time...after this long though, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to...in World of Warcraft, people tend to mispronounce my characters name...that tends to bug me a bit...but not too much.

It's kinda hard to misspell the name Amy, but it does happen every now and then as there are a few lesser used variations. I've had bus tickets with the name "Amee" on it. It's annoying, but there's nothing I can do about it and it's not worth pouting about. I'm just really grateful I'm not a Catherine or some other long name with a plethora of different spellings. :)

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 1

It rarely happens to me.  I think I've gotten "Jon" instead of John once in my whole life.  I don't recall being annoyed. 

Now my last name is a different story, but I can't discuss it without revealing it.  :unsure:

• Brohoof 1

My first name yes, because it is insanely easy to spell, my last name not really because it is actually fairly difficult to spell, I usually end up spelling it out for people...

Yes, it irks me!

I've seen the following spellings. Alisa, Alissa, Elisa, Elissa, Alysa, Alyssa, Elyssa, Elysa, Allissa,  etc. Try to guess which one is correct. I didn't think my name was difficult, but apparently i was mistaken.

Sometimes, its pronounced wrong too, although this doesn't really bother me much. Some of the pronunciations make my name sound prettier than it actually is ;)

Edited by crazitaco

This isn't often a problem for me, having a three-letter first name and all.  However, since 'i' is right next to 'o' on the qwerty keyboard, I've gotten Tim instead of Tom a number of times.  It's slightly annoying, but I usually just laugh it off.

On a slightly related note, it really irritated me, back when colleges were sending me letters, when I got a letter addressed to "Tommy".  I honestly have no problem with that nickname, but if you're an institution that expects me to shell out thousands of dollars to you every six months, you better damn well not try to be cutsie with me.  If I'm going somewhere to get an education for a professional career, I expect professionalism, not cutsie nicknames before you've even seen my face.  Any such letter immediately found a new home in my wastebasket.

A little bit. My name is Jeffrey, and I see people misspell it a lot. Jeffery, and Jeffry are the two most common misspellings of my name. I've never seen it spelt any of those two ways before so I don't get why it's so commonly misspelt. Ah, who cares. :)

• 2 years later...

Not much, at most it baffles me a bit :P. My name is Tiago, but many people misspell it as Thiago, which is the way that my name was spelled long ago.

"Thiago" is an old spelling of the name, from early 1900's. It changed when the orthography of the Portuguese language got revised in 1911 (our orthography had quite a few reformations over the times).

One of the changes of the 1911 orthographic reformation was eliminating the use of certain phonemes of Greek origin: "th" got replaced by "t", "ch" (with a "k" sound) was replaced by "qu", and "ph" was replaced by "f".

The "h" in "th" was mute and there were no reason to keep it. It was pronunciated in the same way as just "t".

However existing names were not affected by the change, therefore for quite some time still there were some thiagos out there. Only people named after the change got the new spelling. But some got the old spelling anyways, because people were used to it.

But do you people want an even older spelling of my name? Thyago :lol:

To be honest, there was only one time when someone spelled my name wrong. It was a Starbucks coffee shop and I ordered a chocolate chip frappachino. they spelled my name with an "E" in the beginning when it really begins with an "X". That didn't bother me, though. In fact, i found the incident rather hilarious and even took a picture of it on my phone. :D

Yes. It bothers me a lot. I have a name that's 95% used for female names so the pronaunciation is engraved in people's mind as a female name. When they try saying my name with a male intonation/pronaunciation, they fail.. 100% at a time.

EDIT: because they fail every time, they just call me Jazz instead

Edited by K1NG_NAZARA