Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The STRANGEST video game you've played?

Pixel Stick

So, we've been discussing people's FIRST video games, and their favorites, but I'm going to start up another topic: What's the STRANGEST video game you've played? Doesn't necessarily have to be the worst one - in fact, strange games can sometimes be really good. But what game struck you as the most bizarre, weirdest, most frightening, silliest, or some other adjective that makes it stand out to you?

For me, I think the strangest game I've played was Um Jammer Lammy on the PS1. I wasn't a big fan of it, but I wouldn't call it the worst game I've played either. But mostly, its storyline was nearly incomprehensible to me, the cutscenes seemed like they were inspired by an enormous acid trip, and the visuals accompanying the actual gameplay were incredibly distracting. (And the gameplay itself wasn't all that much fun - I didn't like the songs, partly because I'm not a fan of the musical style they used, which was probably most famously used in "Radar Love" by Golden Earring.)

I'll add that when I first played this game and said I didn't like it, I had several friends who wanted to crucify me over that. So I know it has its fans. :)

Edited by Harvan

I would say Earthworm Jim and Earthworm Jim II, they are weird but in a very very good way. Good controls, interesting and quirky plot packed with silly, strange and often random humor it is like Pinkie Pie got into the video game business.

Any/most game developed by Suda 51(Killer7, No More Heroes, Lollipop Chainsaw) or Platinum/Clover(God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta). Their weirdness is probably what makes me love them so much though

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

I've never played it, but have you seen Pewdiepie's play-through of "Revenge of the sunfish" (Something like that...)

Weirdest game ever. No one can disagree.

My brother has played revenge of the sunfish... I didn't understand the game at all

Even though I haven't played it, I agree, strangest game ever

• Brohoof 1

Metal Wolf Chaos was extremely weird... playing as the US President, who has a Japanese accent and is in an armoured suit blowing up entire armies by himself.

Nethack is also pretty weird, and UrbanDead is weird because there's so much from so little.

Seaman on the sega dreamcast. That game is about having this fish with a mans face as a pet. The game came with a microphone and you had to talk to this freaky fish thing. If you have never heard of it, I suggest you check it out.

• Brohoof 2

LSD Dream Emulator is the strangest game to have ever existed and I have played it quite a bit, actually.

It's so strange that it's reasonable to assume the LSD is referring to the drug, even though it's not.

Seriously, that game is trippy.

I have to say Red Faction: Armageddon was one of the strangest games I have played, walking around with a unicorn that crapped rainbows of mass destruction is just a little weird. Another one would be the Saints row series, just they have quite a bit of random "wth" moments in game, though most of the time it was amusing. 

• Brohoof 1

Strangest game I've ever played? That would be Atari Anthology for the Xbox. Hate on me all you want, the games were nothing like I was expecting and when you left it alone for a while, it started sounding weird (the music at least)

Parappa the Rapper

cool mode is so strange. See for yourself. skip to 0:30

Seriously. And there's a cool mode for all of the songs and they're all kinda weird.

Edited by Cota

I've not played a truly "strange" game, but the most quirky and totally unique one I've played is Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. It's not like any other game I've played - you want to call it a puzzle game, but it's really an exploration game. It's in 2D, and it's quite a short game, but it was enormous fun. The art style was the queerest and most original I've seen in ages; check out some of the typical scapes.

ss_8c77ba4c73e7c092b1ca90a6425209cd7dd29

itsp8.jpg

itsp2.jpg

There wasn't really any story or plot to the game that wasn't abstractly told by cutscenes with orchestrated themes - you flew around, gathering upgrades for your ship, solving the most random of puzzles and travelling to different themed 2D worlds with the help of a map. No reasonable order, you went and did stuff - it was as simple as that. The massive change from games I was used to playing makes me dub it my strangest game. A lot of it's owed to that eerie yet beautiful art style. Michel Gagné is a talented artist.

Edited by Flipturn ツ
  • Brohoof 1

Parappa the Rapper

cool mode is so strange. See for yourself. skip to 0:30

Seriously. And there's a cool mode for all of the songs and they're all kinda weird.

Oh my Celestia, I freakin' loved that game! It was super weird but I really didn't care, I just thought it was funny how um... interesting it was

I'm going to say Ice Cream Jump. You are a scoop of ice cream, and you endlessly jump. You start to fly if you hit an apple and you fall to the group if you hit a fly. It's really weird :blink:

Has anyone here ever played the Cho Aniki series? I haven't, but I want to someday. That'll give you an idea of just how weird games can get.

As for what I have played...the "Tekken bowling" feature in Tekken Tag Tournament was a truly strange head trip.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone

Yume Nikki, probably. It's free if anyone wants to try it out (google it...I don't think I'm allowed to link stuff like that here), but don't expect a whole lot to be explained to you like where to go and what to do. It's visually intriguing though, especially for something that was made in a simple RPG maker.

I'm aware of a lot weirder games than this, but this is the one I remember playing... shoot I don't remember what it was called. You were driving around a multi-layered alien planet, with a top-down view. running into puddles of slime while aliens burbled nonsense at you. All the instructions were in Russian for some reason.

Between having a guitar that lights stuff on fire, carting kegs of explosive beer to the beach before they get too warm, and summoning lead zeppelin (not the band, a literal, flaming lead zeppelin), I gotta say Brutal Legend. Lotsa strange enemies, lotsa strange allies, and lotsa weird abilities in that one. But, I love it for them. And ya gotta love that it gives you the opportunity to turn off the gore and profanity. The censoring alone makes for some funny scenes (but not as good as uncensored wink.png ). It's definitely one of my faves, mostly due to all the strange things contained within.

• Brohoof 1

Huh. I'd have to say 50 Flights of Loving or Catherine. Those were both pretty dang weird. They were still good though. 50 Flights of Loving was only about 15 minutes longs though.

Awww darn it! Somebody already mentioned LSD Dream Emulator.... That was the game that popped into my head when I first saw this topic.

Umm, let's see... Probably this bootleg game boy colour game I bought called Pokemon adventure, it had a sonic sprite that had been very, VERY badly altered to resemble Pikachu. It was unbelievably hard due to buggy controls, and just overall bizarre. >.<

I also bought another bootleg, but I've forgot what it's called, but it was a GBA Tom and Jerry game from when I was little, and I remember the cart having a totally different title to the game. :T

Edited by ShikariLukari

You know, there was this one very naughty naughty naughty Phoenix Wright hentai game I played titled Phoenix Drive. The engrish in it was astonishingly horrible, especially when the naughty scenes were going on not to mention that the overall proportions were also screwed to hell.

I'm trying to find some sfw screenshots that show the best of how lousy this even is but I can't find any nooooo

Have some quotes, though!

M-Mia!!! Huff-n-Puff-n...!~

Your #$%^ in my Breasts seems a rall... why?

This stick is energetic. I melt it.

Did Nick cover a very big pecker under clothes every day?

When I rubbed a pecker, it dripped a slaver at once. Can you look at it ?

There's tooons more that are funnier but these are the only ones I can remember right now and all of these are meant to be dirty.

Ooooh man I loved how sad and horny I was four or five years ago to even download this piece of garbage.

• Brohoof 1