Alien life thread

Zalgo

Life beyond Earth?  

66 users have voted

1. 1. Do you believe life exists beyond Earth?

• Yes (life does exist beyond Earth)
    • No (life does not exist beyond Earth)
    • Unsure (Its a possibility)
  2. 2. Do you think we'll ever find life beyond us?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
    • May have already

Aliens? Ayy lmao ... sorry. :blush:

I do believe that there is indeed some sort of alien life out there. I just don't find it likely that we're alone, I mean given the scale of the universe (and how tiny we are in comparison), it hardly seems possible. :huh:

Aren't alone in the universe? That's an almost metaphysical certainty. Visited, UFO style? Not Snowdrop's chance on a vision test. (Edit: You know, in retrospect, is it a bad sign how quickly that idiom came to my head?)

I mean when you look at the absolute scale of the entire universe and our galaxy alone, the idea that Earth alone supports life is almost a laughable notion. Contact on the other hoof, that is something absurdly difficult. If we were to communicate with our closest possible neighbors, the message would reach them in thousands of years and it would take another couple thousand to get theirs.

Heh, imagine if it were something totally anti-climatic like: "Yo."

This exactly. The universe is simply too big for there to not be other planets with life.  Also, It cracks me up when people lump aliens in with the "supernatural," like ghosts.  We would be aliens to another race.  We are not supernatural.  Aliens are not supernatural.   But do I believe that we have been visited by alien UFOs and such?  No.  I do believe, however, that if the human race survives and thrives long enough, we will eventually make proper contact with another sentient race.

And btw, UFO is kind of a silly term, at least when referring to alien crafts.  If someone throws a shoe in the air, and you're too far away to tell what it is, then it's a UFO.

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 1

I remember being in my grandmother's trailer and rummaging around in the bathroom as a kid, at night.

I looked to my right and saw a tall grey alien. With the big black oval eyes and everything.

Was frozen in fear.

Woke up later in bed seeing shadows leave on the walls.

More than likely a hallucination from Hypogogic/pompic? sleep paralasis.

Still, there are some weird shit up in the skies.

Phoenix lights come to mind.

And btw, UFO is kind of a silly term, at least when referring to alien crafts.  If someone throws a shoe in the air, and you're too far away to tell what it is, then it's a UFO.

Yeah I know, I was just throwing out the catch all term for extraterrestrial aircraft. Agreed though, "supernatural"? I mean I'm not one to shoot down the possibility of such phenomenon but there's worlds of differences between fantasy and sci-fi for a reason, it's not just their aesthetics.

I do believe we will make fist contact one day. We aren't going to die before that happens. (Well maybe you and I are, but not the race as a whole.) Imagine if we find some sapient life in the oceans of Europa!

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

i have mixed feelings on them. when it comes to characters, yep sure i like them!
when it comes to like, real life serious and all that, no, instead i fear them to the point where i cant sleep at night. And that rarely happens to me! :c

There are probably aliens somewhere in space,  :mustache:

>>cough guardians of the galaxy hope they will look like those cough<<

But we can't really prove it, but because of the damn photoshop stuff,

it just became a bit ''unreal'', and we need proof.  :huh:

But they're ugly, that for shure..

Except if they look like the ones from gotg, then not ugly.  :muffins:

But we can't really prove it, but because of the damn photoshop stuff,

That is the most annoying paradox about our technology. We want proof, but we can easily fake it, so we don't know what is true or not. It has gotten to the point where we need the aliens, the ones who can travel, to literally land and show us they exist for us to believe them. Even then there would be a point where we will say, Oh that is just some fancy computer graphics.

The list goes on and it frustrates me to no end. I think there is life elsewhere in the universe, the chances are just to small otherwise. It's just that we'll never believe it if they come here.

• Brohoof 1

The possibility of having life on only one planet in a near infinite universe with countless starts, star systems, galaxies and clusters is 1/ 9.9x1099 (Its the largest number I can shorten down.) So their must be life and many other planets all across the universe, some more advance others not so advance. Its improbable that earth is the only populated planet in the universe.

You guys know of that the comet lander Philae that landed recently? It discovered "organic molecules" on the surface of the comet. The article didn't say what kind of molecule, but it essentially found the building blocks to complex life.

Here is a link to the article Link.

Scumbag Physics and the current impossibility of getting even close to 3x108ms-1 with the kind of mass ships would possess, that fact might well be enough to prevent proper contact with other intelligent life by itself.

I still stand by my belief that we shall never meet another intelligent species that still lives, even if there are many others out there...

I have always been fascinated with the cosmos, and I have to say that the universe, even the observable universe is far too vast for us to be alone. Just think about it. We're a tiny, tiny speck in comparison to the rest of the universe. The Kepler space-telescope is finding new planets every year, all of which are in our Milky Way. Now, do I think we'll ever meet other life? I can't say. We don't have the technology to travel great distances, but who knows? Maybe some day, most likely not in our lifetime, we will meet other life.

• 2 months later...

Seeing how HUGE space is, I'm sure there're others forms of life somewhere...

That would be awesome to find one, but I'm not sure it will ever happen, especially because we can't travel faster than light...

Edited by Blobulle

Given the size of the universe, that contains infinite galaxies, that contain massive amounts of stars, each with atleast one planet, it's basically impossible that there isn't life beyond us...

BUT i think we'll never meet them, as the closest stars with planets that possibly could support life are several light-years from us...

I like to think that there is life beyond earth. It is extremely likely, given the immensity of the universe. However, I am unsure that we will ever make contact with any extraterrestrial life form. As a species, will we live long enough for that?

Then there is the question, do we really want this to happen? What if it does not go well? Is it really a good idea to endanger the entire population just for the sake of this? We already have our own shit to put in order.

There are surely other species in the universe because the universe is so darn big that it is very self absorbed to think that we are the only species in the universe considering its vastness but I think that also because the universe is so dang huge, we won't ever, or at least for a very long time, come into contact with any alien life.

How can there not possibly be other life in the universe? We can't be the only planet that got lucky here. :pout:

I hope we meet some life out there someday, and that they're nice... could be as simple as a planet just like Earth save for having an entirely different culture, history, languages, and races that might be like us but still very different... no matter what it would be infinitely fascinating. :rarity:

I strongly believe we have already stumbled upon alien life! i mean with all the noise The earth makes with sending probes out to space rovers, shuttles and sattellites it would be a shock that we somehow havent encountered alien life alreDY.