Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DITR

Tirek was the last truly memorable villain. As much as I love Starlight Glimmer now, I didn't think she was that great of an antagonist. Cozy Glow has gotten too little character development; she just isn't believable. The Storm King was kinda funny and truly sinister with how he caged pretty much every pony in Canterlot, but he was definitely not one of the highlights of the movie in my opinion... he shouldn't have been used for comic relief as much. I liked Stygian at first but in hindsight the Pony of Shadows is just a rehash of Nightmare Moon with a pony who isn't an alicorn. Grogar is interesting... he might become as memorable as Tirek if the writers can do him justice in his remaining appearance(s).

• Brohoof 3

"Leave it to fanfics and headcanon" is a garbage excuse to justify loose threads in this show, especially when you consider some of the bullshit episodes have been wasted on

• Brohoof 5

On 8/18/2019 at 2:03 AM, Rainbow Dash said:

I hate that changelings suddenly broke off from having a hive mindset to being free thinkers. I argue passionately with others that this killed the shows lore. 

I liked the Changelings more when they were villains. 

I do not like any of the Daring Do focused episodes except for "Read It and Weep".

I am not a fan of "That's a Laugh" & I feel like it was the biggest waste of a guest star so far. 

• Brohoof 3

Twilight should have had a friendship ideology rival. It would have been neat to have someone else that helps others with friendship as they challenge each other's approach and methods. I just don't like the concept of everyone else is pitiful until the Mane 6 comes in to fix their problem.

• Brohoof 3

Watching this show desperately clamour to close up loose ends and build a coherent running plot is genuinely depressing, because the ideas they have for this range from not particularly creative (Scootaloo becoming closer to her parents) to actively nonsensical (Pinkie Pie needing to find her purpose in life), and attempts to make sense of everything that's come before really just point out how messy the show's storytelling was in the past. 

Twilight becoming Celestia's successor is unlikely to be satisfying because it's an emotionally hollow development. There is no real reason to be happy that Twilight has been chosen, because she has no emotional connection to the role, but there's also no urgency to make it satisfying in a bigger-picture sense. I wonder what would happen if Twilight just declined the offer.

If we're suddenly supposed to care about Equestrian politics... then maybe nobody should be a princess. Have ponies ever considered founding a republic? 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Watching this show desperately clamour to close up loose ends and build a coherent running plot is genuinely depressing, because the ideas they have for this range from not particularly creative (Scootaloo becoming closer to her parents) to actively nonsensical (Pinkie Pie needing to find her purpose in life), and attempts to make sense of everything that's come before really just point out how messy the show's storytelling was in the past. 

Twilight becoming Celestia's successor is unlikely to be satisfying because it's an emotionally hollow development. There is no real reason to be happy that Twilight has been chosen, because she has no emotional connection to the role, but there's also no urgency to make it satisfying in a bigger-picture sense. I wonder what would happen if Twilight just declined the offer.

If we're suddenly supposed to care about Equestrian politics... then maybe nobody should be a princess. Have ponies ever considered founding a republic? 

Honestly what bugs me the most about S9 was how much it was hyped by both the staff, Discovery Family, and Hasbro to be this huge, emotional send off for the cast, yet I'm finding myself really underwhelmed to outright hating 2/3 of the whole season.

I mean, on the subject of things that annoy me about S9, if I'm being honest, I actually really dislike Scootaloo's parents and I think they're awful and don't really give a crap about her life, the fact that they tried to rip her away from her friends and life that they were absent for a majority for was particularly shitty. Ultimately I really disliked how they were handled. Like they were afraid of making an episode actually addressing this, and instead chose to make them the greatest ponies ever, inspired by real life animal heroes(one of which is dead unfortunately), so they made you not want to hate them. On top of that they had to make an extremely convoluted way of addressing Scootaloo's housing situation, instead of just saying that she's always been living with her aunts the whole time and they simply never appeared, it's dumb like Shining but it feels much more ideal than what they came up with. I don't dislike the aunts, I just think they were dealt a couple of really dumb writing choices, but her parents, fuck them. As far as I'm concerned Rainbow Dash is her mom, that's not my bias, I genuinely think that's the truth

I'll still give the episode this, as far as its concept goes, it at least feels like it actually belongs in S9

Edited by Kiryu-Chan
  • Brohoof 3

45 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

I mean, on the subject of things that annoy me about S9, if I'm being honest, I actually really dislike Scootaloo's parents and I think they're awful and don't really give a crap about her life, the fact that they tried to rip her away from her friends and life that they were absent for a majority for was particularly shitty. Ultimately I really disliked how they were handled. Like they were afraid of making an episode actually addressing this, and instead chose to make them the greatest ponies ever, inspired by real life animal heroes(one of which is dead unfortunately), so they made you not want to hate them, and for them to rip her away from her life when they were gone for most of it is particularly shitty. On top of that they had to make an extremely convoluted way of addressing Scootaloo's housing situation, instead of just saying that she's always been living with her aunts the whole time and they simply never appeared, it's dumb like Shining but it feels much more ideal than what they came up with. I don't dislike the aunts, I just think they were dealt a couple of really dumb writing choices, but her parents, fuck them. As far as I'm concerned Rainbow Dash is her mom, that's not my bias, I genuinely think that's the truth

I thought them being bad parents was exactly the point. 

I'm not so big on the idea of Dash being Scootaloo's mother figure, since it kinda seems like they're only around 10 years apart in age, but it's true that Dash is the most prominent adult in Scootaloo's life. At least it's better than the implication that Twilight was raising Spike during her own childhood. 

Just now, AlexanderThrond said:

I thought them being bad parents was exactly the point.

Problem is that this isn't explicitly addressed, the episode's problem was that they wanted her to move away with them and they wanted Scootaloo to stay

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Kiryu-Chan said:

Problem is that this isn't explicitly addressed, the episode's problem was that they wanted her to move away with them and they wanted Scootaloo to stay

I do wish that episode was a little bit darker and that Scootaloo resented them more in a general sense.

There are already so many orphans in this show that I’m glad Scootaloo is not one.

Sunset Shimmer is still an underdeveloped character compared to the protagonists of Friendship is Magic, and is held back by the writers’ hesitance to make her look bad. The human mane six of Equestria Girls are more interesting and have more potential than her, because everything we know about their pony counterparts could carry over. Sunset’s core set of traits is less consistent. 

• Brohoof 2

One negative of "Princess" Twilight change is that the writing has made her rather overly reliant on her friends. She has them working for her to carry out her whims like the school when they have other jobs to do. Her friends have never been this demanding on her.

Edited by Singe

Season 8 is the best season in post-S5 era. It has consistent theme (school), proper plot building up (Student 6 and Cozy Glow), entertaining villain (Cozy Glow herself), and a good chunks of good episodes. 

And... Season 9 wasted all the good potential that season 8 has built up to. Season 9 is not a bad season but it didn't feel like a "finale" season for me, except the premiere and the finale (obviously). It has a lot of fillers that you can include in S8 and notice no difference (like Point of No Return). When it try to "wrap something up", it feels underwhelming, like Summer Sun Setback. Summer Sun Setback is a great episode but Twilight's achievement feels rushed and hollow, and it isn't even Mike's faults, it's someone who thinks to put Trivial Pursuit and Setback right next each other is good idea, I don't buy her sudden character development. Underwhelming is one of S9 key words, I can give more example but Summer Sun Setback is already good enough.

My only hope is Starlight's story arc or whatever it has left. I want to see her last bang before I cant see my favorite character ever again. Her future confrontation with Chrysalis, which has been promised in S6 finale and still being referenced until now, is one of my last saving graces of season 9, I think they will drop that too. 

"She Talks to Angels" is an utterly disappointing episode. As a stand-alone episode, it's fine, but as a last tribute to Fluttershy for the rest the series, it fails. 

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, ChB said:

"She Talks to Angels" is an utterly disappointing episode. As a stand-alone episode, it's fine, but as a last tribute to Fluttershy for the rest the series, it fails. 

At least it's not Dash's last episode, which actively hates and punishes people who like Rainbow Dash

• Brohoof 4