Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it a bad idea to have a different username and password for everything?

Enemy Stand

(edited)

First off, if this belongs somewhere else, like Media Discussion, please let me know.

So, I have a different username and password for this site, YouTube, AOL, Intensedebate (for EQD), drawception, Google, and IGN. Should I change some names, either to allow people to recognize me or to keep things organized, or is this fine?

Edited by Orangejack

As an IT person, it's a good idea incase one where to get hacked, but as a regular user.

I do see what you mean about being recognized by a username, but I have 3 or 4 myself for different things and it hasn't caused a problem for me yet. It is a call you must make yourself however.

Personally, I don't think it's bad at all. As long as you have a good memory, it should work fine. Of course, having different usernames and passwords probably won't save you from hacking...since if you share an e-mail with all of that, they could get a hold of everything and just reset your password, so...whatever works for you.

I say that having different passwords for every site you are part of is a good idea. If anyone ever hacks one of your accounts for one website, they won't be able to hack your account anywhere else since you have a different password there.

As for usernames, that solely depends on you. If you want to use a trademark name so people can find you easier, that's fine. If you want to use different names so you feel unique everywhere else, that's also fine. That's your call.

(edited)

I use different usernames dependent upon what it's for. Toaster Bot is what I usually use for most things now, however I often use various other usernames if it would be more suited to the community. And my passwords are always very long, remembered by LastPass.

Edited by Toaster Bot

(edited)

I doubt you need a different username for everything, but you definitely need a different password for everything, for security reasons. If you used the same password for more than one thing, then if someone figured out what it was, more than one of your accounts could become compromised. 

If you want to use a different username for everything too, then that's not a bad idea, I just don't think it's necessary. Just make sure that you do use different passwords for everything.

Edited by SCS

(edited)

No. Its actually the right thing to do

In fact its very recommended for you to have a different password and username for each particular function. This ofcourse when talking about "important matters" Like your Personal and MAIN email, your bank acounts, pay pal and stuff that can have severe consequences if it ended on wrong hooves.

Of course not every pony is able to handle a plethora of usernames passwords and the relation to them, to this lets also add that the real recommendation of IT security experts tell us to use passwords of at least 124 bits... for everypony to understad those passwords look like this .

8Ck*2NsVdoP#lSgALjnc

So yeah... I cant handle that much but having a good administration of such afairs will save you "possible inconveniences" in the future.

Edited by Colt

I'd say password, it's a good idea.

Username, it's a bad idea.

For the password, you don't want somebody who obtains one of your passwords to have all of them.

For your username, keeping a consistent one is the best way to gain a reputation across the internet.

It's a good idea as long as you can remember all that log-in info and don't really care about being recognized across multiple sites.

That doesn't exactly seem like a BAD idea to me... I mean, memory or somewhere to write it all down is probably the best resource if you're gonna do that. I suppose it's pretty handy to avoid getting hacked. I usually have it backwards than is recommended, now that I think about it. I mean, I have a different username for almost every damn website I'm on, and have, like, two different passwords I alternate between. -.- Bad for getting hacked, bad for being recognized. And I should feel bad.

I think that having multiple usernames isn't necessary, whether its bad eh, not exactly.

Now having different passwords for everything is actually good, assuming you can remember them all, its a good idea to keep them all different in case your hacked.

• 2 months later...

Ah as for the username kind of, but all my usernames are all the same.. well just about anyway, but I do it because its easier for my friends to know who it is, and as for the password I use the same one for every thing.. because odd are no one is going to think of it.. I mean really..

So I cant say its a bad thing.. but at the same time I cant say its a good thing... I know its odd..

I have many different passwords (I actually have a written log of them since I can't remember all that and what I had for lunch last tuesday).  However, I have only two online names (which are a little diversified depending on the websites requirements. i.e having an extra number or an ! or a _ in the name).  It makes things simple and easy.  I someday want to be known (for something positive), and if I had way too many online names, then I'd be a nobody .

I'm just paranoid. I probably have about 7 usernames on YouTube, Steam, here, etc. And I've got about 15 different passwords. The most complicated ones go up to 30 characters that involve all sorts of randomness that only I could remember. I'm good at remembering numbers because I draw patterns and form relationships between the characters. But those go on the sites where I demand the highest security like PayPal, eBay, Facebook, and my email. I have lower security passwords that are just easier to remember for others like here and YouTube. But they're still about 16 random characters. But again, I'm just paranoid lol 

Yes it's good. The more variety, the less chance of you getting hacked. Just make sure you have all those usernames and passwords memorized.

Try not to be like me who has a universal password for everything.

I personally have different usernames made up from a bank of words, so mine are all different... It's good to do that since it makes life difficult for hackers! Perhaps have an image on your profile so somepony can recognise you through that?

I have different passwords for different sites and I also use a ton of different usernames. However, I always am known on every site I am by my name, Lace, so it doesn't really matter what I call myself. XD

If you have a good memory, it is not bad at all. I would suggest that writing them down just in case you forget them, that usually works for anyone who has a bad memory.

In most places I am known as sejten 11, my memory is too bad to have different username on every site that I use. But I have different password everywhere and I've written them down in my notebook :P Why don't I do the same thing with usernames? I am too lazy to do so! :P

No it's a good idea. Well at least with the passwords.

I usually have the same username on every site I'm on, however I have different passwords for each website I'm on and each account is registered with different email accounts. I have like 20 different mail accs xD

I've got differnet passwords for things....and variants of those passwords....but username wise, well Usually, I would use my fursona name, but since I'm more into bronydom, it's changed.I've changed them to either my fave ship (Flutter Dash) or one of my fave ponies....on Steam I'm "Octavia" on Xbox I'm Rainbow Crash, on other sites, I'm Fluttershy or Spitfire.

Having the same name across hte board, makes finding people easier, but that's about it. If people really wanna find me,. I've got all my Steam and Xbox and other stuff tied together in some way.

Edited by ~Chaotic_Fluttershy~

I keep my username the same (although with a few variations, like 2546, 2654, etc...) and I have a different password. I've developed a dynamic password system, where all my passwords are different but I can know them just by looking at the site. It's basically a password function. Password = Constant + Site identifier, where my constant is a secret order of numbers and letters, and the site identifier is something to do with the site.